Review: Apogee Mini-DAC vs AQVOX USB 2 D/A MkII vs Stello DA100/HP100 vs Corda Opera
Nov 10, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #76 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip> Otherwise, people would just hook up speakers to their sources, without an amplifier.

Grawk, this is the part where we disagree.
First adding speakers to headphones discussion render the argument less cohesive. The power requirements of speakers are measure in terms of watts (speaker system can reach well above 1000W) while those of headphones are in mW (that’s 1/1000W). It’s true that speakers require massive amount of power to drive them properly but in regards to headphones, 1watt (added to a k701) would destroy the inner hair cells leading to complete sensineuro hearing lost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The apogee simply can't keep up with the demands being placed on it when you're driving headphones, when compared to a good amp.

I don’t know what you consider is a good AMP and what kind of demands you are referring to when driving headphones. However, a simple search and voila…here’s a snippet of a few comments from literally hundreds referring to Apogee’s pre-amp driving their headphones with great results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip> btw if you are going to use the senns with the apogee ditch the xp7 and plug it directly into the mini plug out...you won't be missing anything at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip> I thought the Apogee setup using the HD 650 directly from the XLR line out and balanced Zu/Equinox was clearly superior to the HD 650 connected to the Opera using both the Opera's dac and amp. <snip>

Your comment was the first I have read that states that the Apogee was underpower. I assumed you tried the balance XLR pre-amp of the Apogee and out of curiosity what was it that you thought was underpowered (volume, drive, etc…)?

I do agree that it is silly to own a $1000 source and running it with an inferior AMP but IMO it is sillier to side step or downgrade. The most logical choice is to save up for a balance AMP such as Beta22 or GS-X.

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #77 of 91
the apogee's amp section or pre out section is in now way better to my ears than a competent amp that mates well with your headphones.
The apogee is a great dac to get that allows you to use it while you save to get an amp but for example the power supply is pretty limited and the amp section was not the primary design consideration. This is not just true of the apogee it is true of most pro audio amp/dacs out there like the lavry, benchmark... they are great dacs and decent amps IMHO of course.

the comments you raise are great I am in no way a fan of either the xp7 or opera and probably would stick with the apogee. We are probably more on the same page. In that yes The apogee amp section is decent and could rival that of a mid level ehh amp. It will not compete as you move up the food chain.

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #78 of 91
This is a great review, Iron_Dreamer. I was interested in the Stello HP100 - it looks like I'd probably have to use filter B on my Grados, if I got one. The slight treble roll-off might work in my favor, since a few people have complained about the bright sound of my CD player.

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #80 of 91
Iron_Dreamer, I think it's time for you to review the new Corda Symphony!
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #82 of 91
This thread is like the Phoenix, risen from the ashes. It is well over a year old.

Simon

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #83 of 91
Well let's look at the bright side, at least its a very nice thread
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #84 of 91
I actually just noticed that Iron_Dreamer tested the aqvox mkI with upsampling off and the mkII with upsampling on which could be the reason for the big difference in sound

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #85 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually just noticed that Iron_Dreamer tested the aqvox mkI with upsampling off and the mkII with upsampling on which could be the reason for the big difference in sound

I doubt that alone can contribute for the difference observed, but anything is possible. Just for the record on what is different on MkII from previous version, straight from the horse mouth.
best USB DAC, 192kHz, USB, streaming, 24bit, PC, computer, audiophile, highend, hifi, stereo, DAC, DA converter, Audio, USB to COAX, COAX to USB, balanced dac usb, headphone amp dac, 24/192 DA, High End HiFi, ASIO, single ended, Class-A, BurrBrown
Quote:

NEW in the MKII Version:
Headphone amplifier in audiophile quality and USB headphone amp.
In the USB2DA-MKI version, only the USB-input was connected to an average quality headphoneamplifier,
but in the new MKII version we connected ALL inputs (USB, AES/EBU, COAX and TOSLINK)
to the new highend Headphone-Amp.
The fully discrete Class-A circuitry has no IC in signalpath and
delivers exceptional soundquality.
A first class monitoring solution. The headphoneamp is coupled directly to the DAC chip.
This saves the voltage gain stage - a shorter signalpath is almost not possible.

No global overall feedback
Fully discrete (single transistors) Single Ended Class A amplification technology and the use of just one amplifier per balanced analog output stage provides you with today's best possible sound quality. The amplifier section runs without global overall negative feedback, only lokal FB is used. Thus the amplifier generates drastically less dynamic distortions.

JitterEx precision-reclocking 192kHz/24Bit upsampling
Before the digital to analog conversion process, all signals are upsampled and converted to 192kHz/24Bit (unless the bypass is activated). This procedure is advantageous because DACs can offer better performance at higher sampling rates. Upsampling enables filtering to take place far beyond the range of human hearing, as well as offering other, audible benefits, right across the audio band, including improved transient response and less ringing. This results in a more open, transparent sound, tighter bass and a generally more "musical" sound.
NEW in the MKII Version: by factor 15 improved Clock.

True balanced circuitry for entire analog signal path
Featured with an AES/EBU digital input and a balanced XLR analog output the USB 2 D/A is the best choice for professional users to monitor digital recordings. True balanced circuitry for entire analog signal path. The USB 2 D/A is also excellent for persons who strive for the highest level of sound quality from their home audio systems, as well as for computer users who like to get the best output quality from their Workstations or Notebooks. No need to use a low-fi inbuilt soundcard. Furthermore users can upgrade their micro hifi system (portable CD, MD... as far as they provide a digital output) to a real high-end solution.

NEW in the MKII Version: LowNoise power supply, with 10dB quiter power output.
Our designers created a completely new LowNoise powersupply. Now the power output delivers with 10dB lower noise, cleaner energy and has a higher efficiency. Some better prefilters where added to bann the dirt also in lower frequencys. At the powersupplys output resides a linear regulator. The result is audible. And the sound of the MKII is now better even under bad power conditions.

BTW, haven't you ordered yours already? Why bother if it's done deal, having last minute buyer's remorse? I am sure it's a fine DAC, elephas seems to liked it a lot, back in 2004. PM him, he has gone through a lot of DACs since.

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #86 of 91
hehehe I'm ok. I am getting it from a high end store an island away from me next week. Its the first good dac I can find locally without having to wait for the dacmagic. I'm sure the mk2 really has a better headphone amp but it doesn't matter all that much since I do have a glite with dps for my hd600 and am receiving a stax system soon which wont be able to use the headphone amp anyway
biggrin.gif
I was thinking of getting the ultramicrodac since it is on sale right now for 499 but this might be better in the long run in case I want to go balanced

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #88 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also wondering if the cecda53 has been changed in any way because it says the no global feedback design is new on the aqvox mkII. The cec says it has that on the 53
CEC DA CONVERTER DA53

Maybe I can't read because it looks like no feedback loop on CEC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back