Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 15, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #616 of 659
I finally solved it, I'll share a photo, the gain was set to maximum.
gain little.jpg

Sep 15, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #617 of 659
I finally solved it, I'll share a photo, the gain was set to maximum.

You should have plenty of power with the dip switches set to off. I run my LD this way and it's quiet. I did buy it new though. If your amp is old it might need a service to replace some capacitors that might be creating noise.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #620 of 659
thanks, but by turning it off the power increases but also the noise doesn't it?
Anytime you increase gain, noise goes up because you are actually increasing the volume. But the
increase should be negligible because your higher impedance headphones will need more power to drive them properly.
The LD is a great match with the 300 ohm HD650. By about 10 o'clock on the volume knob the HD 650 should be pretty loud.

Sep 15, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #621 of 659
Anytime you increase gain, noise goes up because you are actually increasing the volume. But the
increase should be negligible because your higher impedance headphones will need more power to drive them properly.
The LD is a great match with the 300 ohm HD650. By about 10 o'clock on the volume knob the HD 650 should be pretty loud.
thanks.

Sep 15, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #622 of 659
Sep 16, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #624 of 659
can I change only the small "preamp" tubes with the jan 5654 and leave the others as default?
As long as you use a matched pair you can. When I bought my LD several years ago I replaced all of
the tubes with New Old Stock Mullards. They made a nice improvement. The stock tubes are mediocre IMO.

Sep 16, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #625 of 659
until now I have used its original Chinese tubes and I must say it did not impress me compared to my asgard 3.
I just installed jan 5654 and dell 6n6-t WOW a day-night difference..
Out of curiosity I have both gains on, therefore low gain and despite this the volume is very loud with my dt 1990 pro 250 hom I don't have much volume play already at volume on 3 the sound is very strong.

Sep 16, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #626 of 659
until now I have used its original Chinese tubes and I must say it did not impress me compared to my asgard 3.
I just installed jan 5654 and dell 6n6-t WOW a day-night difference..
Out of curiosity I have both gains on, therefore low gain and despite this the volume is very loud with my dt 1990 pro 250 hom I don't have much volume play already at volume on 3 the sound is very strong.
If the voltage gain on your source is high, that could explain why the volume is loud with little movement on the volume knob.
It's surprising that the new tubes would sound so much louder since they should have the same rating as the older tubes. Anyway
glad to hear that you've got it sorted out. 👍

Sep 16, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #627 of 659
no no they don't sound louder but with a much better quality, with both sets of tubes I have a too loud sound already at volume 3.
According to my manual I would have set the gain to maximum instead of minimum, why is the drawing different from my manual?
gain.jpg
LD_MK_II gain.png

Sep 16, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #628 of 659
no no they don't sound louder but with a much better quality, with both sets of tubes I have a too loud sound already at volume 3.
According to my manual I would have set the gain to maximum instead of minimum, why is the drawing different from my manual?gain.jpgLD_MK_II gain.png
There were different versions of the Little Dot MK II. Yours may be an earlier version so the dip switch settings were likely
changed. That is why you are seeing two different manuals for the LD with different settings. In this case trust your ears since they're the best judge of what you hear. 😊

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #629 of 659
I have jan 5654 and 6n6-t and the sound is excellent, with little expense what tubes could I buy to improve the sound? And what are the jumpers for and where are they placed?

Sep 17, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #630 of 659
I have jan 5654 and 6n6-t and the sound is excellent, with little expense what tubes could I buy to improve the sound? And what are the jumpers for and where are they placed?
I believe that the jumpers are used for different tubes that fall under the category of either EF95 or EF92. When you use a different tube you have to move each jumper from either right to left or left to right, depending on whether the tubes fall under the category of EF95 or EF92. J1 is for one channel J2 is for the other. Not sure what the pin setting is for EF92 or EF95. The pin setting has to be the same for both channels. If you read through this thread you may find further info. on this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back