REVIEW: Ray Samuels Audio Dark Star solid state headphone amplifier
Dec 20, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #106 of 377
Dec 21, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #107 of 377
An interesting perspective on topologies and taste. Whilst I cannot argue with his ears or taste, I disagree on almost every account on chip vs discrete and his opinion of balanced topology. I’m also not convinced his Beta22 is in a healthy state, if he’s hearing a channel imbalance there’s something clearly wrong with it.

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #109 of 377
He said he tried 3 different Beta 22's, John, and still preferred the Darkstar.

Interesting review. My experience with the amp mirrors the reviewer, precisely. If I had money I'd have myself a Darkstar and LCD3 and be on the hunt for a great source.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #110 of 377

Quote:
He said he tried 3 different Beta 22's, John, and still preferred the Darkstar.

In that case I blame the source... 
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #112 of 377
My source gear is the Esoteric P-03/D-03/G-0x combo.  So far I only heard one headphone I liked better with a B-52 tube amp than the Dark Star; the Beyerdynamic T70.  The Headphonia review mostly mirrors my own impressions.

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #113 of 377
Well then we'll just have to beg to differ. Until I get the chance to hear a DS, I'll take the review with a grain of salt.

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #114 of 377
Quote:
Well then we'll just have to beg to differ. Until I get the chance to hear a DS, I'll take the review with a grain of salt.

Even though you've never heard the Darkstar you just can't believe that it's better than a Beta 22. Lol 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #115 of 377
I never heard a dark star either, but from the few times I've listen to a beta 22, I definitely can believe it. Though the beta 22 does sound very good, I've listened to better solid state amps. I do not believe the beta is as great a value as it was in the past. Now you have some very excellent sounding solid state amps that sound as good if not better for the price a good kit would go for. This is imo of course.

But do I know a dark star sounds better? No, I haven't listened to it. But I will never say or disagree with someone about a piece of gear sounding better than the other one if I've never heard it myself. I always get a good laugh when others do the same thing. Especially when they will go to the extreme of being argumentative about it. I see this happens far to often.

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #116 of 377

Quote:
Quote:

Even though you've never heard the Darkstar you just can't believe that it's better than a Beta 22. Lol 
rolleyes.gif

Exactly right not until I hear it with my own ears. 
tongue.gif

moodyrn, I never disagreed about the possibility the Dark Star could be a better sounding amp. I did however disagree on Mike’s opinion of discrete vs chip and balanced signal, that is my opinion, I don’t see any harm voicing it. I don’t think I’ve taken things to an augmentative level, at least it was not intentional. My comment on the source was purely tongue in cheek, maybe I needed two smiley faces.

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #117 of 377
Christ the B52 is huge...and gorgeous. 

PS: If you haven't noticed...John isn't a huge fan of any RSA products as far as I can tell from previous posts. Take it with a grain of salt. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
My source gear is the Esoteric P-03/D-03/G-0x combo.  So far I only heard one headphone I liked better with a B-52 tube amp than the Dark Star; the Beyerdynamic T70.  The Headphonia review mostly mirrors my own impressions.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #118 of 377

Quote:
PS: If you haven't noticed...John isn't a huge fan of any RSA products as far as I can tell from previous posts. Take it with a grain of salt. 
rolleyes.gif

You got it. I’m not. Although I would prefer to say commercial amps than single out just RSA, I’m biased and opinionated to huge point, so please do take my comments with heavy grain of salt.

Edit: Oh and here’s some smileys for the folks that think this post is argumentative 
biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back