Review: RIVA Turbo X High Performance Premium Mobile Bluetooth Speaker – Plus Headquarters Tour
May 29, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #61 of 234
My latest Riva Turbo listening venture has been using it on my bedside table, about 3" from the wall, angled about 45° towards me,
watching one episode Seasons 1-10 of Criminal Minds on Netflix every night before bed.
These modern day "cop shows" have multi-layered highly engineered soundtracks that make watching so much more fulfilling than
just watching it on your thin plasma/led flat screen TVs.

When I do watch something on my living room 50" that has a great soundtrack (Survivor, etc.) I run an audio cable from the line out
on the back of the TV to the Riva, and place it centrally under my coffee table directly in front of me, and the sound fills the room very
nicely. The thin sound from the TV acts as the "center channel with 70% of the sound, and the Riva under the table fills in the listening
environment with depth. Fun!

May 30, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #62 of 234
My latest Riva Turbo listening venture has been using it on my bedside table, about 3" from the wall, angled about 45° towards me,
watching one episode Seasons 1-10 of Criminal Minds on Netflix every night before bed.
These modern day "cop shows" have multi-layered highly engineered soundtracks that make watching so much more fulfilling than
just watching it on your thin plasma/led flat screen TVs.

When I do watch something on my living room 50" that has a great soundtrack (Survivor, etc.) I run an audio cable from the line out
on the back of the TV to the Riva, and place it centrally under my coffee table directly in front of me, and the sound fills the room very
nicely. The thin sound from the TV acts as the "center channel with 70% of the sound, and the Riva under the table fills in the listening
environment with depth. Fun!

That sounds like a lot of fun. When I listen to music I like to put the Turbo X in a 45 degree angle about a foot from the wall. When I watch my TV shows on the Surface 2 Pro, I prefer to use the auxiliary input and place it at an angle towards me.

I played the Turbo X pretty loud (Turbo Mode) for a few seconds at T.H.E. Show, Newport, today for demonstration purposes and it was pretty funny to see people turning around to look at what could be making such a loud (yet lovely sounding) noise!

May 30, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #63 of 234
I went to T.H.E. Show, Newport (Hotel Irvine) today, and not only brought my Turbo X along to demonstrate to anyone that wanted a listen, but I was able to meet up with Christine and Donald again from RIVA, as they have a showroom on the 10th floor demonstrating the Turbo X. One Turbo X is on the demo stand, but there is another Turbo X that is connected to a Vizio large screen TV and is being used as a surround sound speaker bar. This very deceptive surround sound speaker bar (the Turbo X) is easily filling the room with enveloping and engaging audio that is majestically conveying the demo that the large screen Vizio is playing. Simply amazing.

Make sure to stop by the RIVA showroom this weekend (Saturday and Sunday) for the Turbo X show special.

T.H.E. Show - 2015, RIVA style:

Donald demonstrating the RIVA

RIVA Worldwide

RIVA and competitors/runners up on demo stand

Some reading material - to be read while listening to the Turbo X

Get them while they are hot!

May 30, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #64 of 234
I went to T.H.E. Show, Newport (Hotel Irvine) today, and not only brought my Turbo X along to demonstrate to anyone that wanted a listen, but I was able to meet up with Christine and Donald again from RIVA, as they have a showroom on the 10th floor demonstrating the Turbo X. One Turbo X is on the demo stand, but there is another Turbo X that is connected to a Vizio large screen TV and is being used as a surround sound speaker bar. This very deceptive surround sound speaker bar (the Turbo X) is easily filling the room with enveloping and engaging audio that is majestically conveying the demo that the large screen Vizio is playing. Simply amazing.

Make sure to stop by the RIVA showroom this weekend (Saturday and Sunday) for the Turbo X show special...

Awesome! Heading there tomorrow myself. Is there a show discount?

*(Duplicate pictures edited by moderators…be kind to mobile users, please!)

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
May 30, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #65 of 234
Awesome! Heading there tomorrow myself. Is there a show discount?

Nice to hear from you. Hoping you would have been at T.H.E. Show yesterday (Friday) and I could have shown you the Turbo X (and went in the RIVA room as well).

There is a show special, and if you want the full details, you can email Christine: (christine@adxaudio.com). Worth checking out!

May 30, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #66 of 234
Just wanted to chime in. 

Fantastic review!

I own TWO of these with TWO of the optional subwoofers. The RIVA Turbo X completely kills them. This has to be the best sounding portable speaker I have ever heard and I have heard a ton as my father owns about 20 of them....well...used to...he got rid of all of them after he stole my RIVA Turbo X.

May 30, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #67 of 234
Nice to hear from you. Hoping you would have been at T.H.E. Show yesterday (Friday) and I could have shown you the Turbo X (and went in the RIVA room as well).

There is a show special, and if you want the full details, you can email Christine: (christine@adxaudio.com). Worth checking out!

Wanted to make in today but wasn't able to unfortunately 
frown.gif
. Wouldn't mind hanging out with some peeps from CanJam again as that was tons of fun.

Oh show special eh... Least Saturday I can finally hear all the hype and might pick one up....

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 30, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #68 of 234
Wanted to make in today but wasn't able to unfortunately :frowning2: . Wouldn't mind hanging out with some peeps from CanJam again as that was tons of fun.

Oh show special eh... Least Saturday I can finally hear all the hype and might pick one up....

It would be fun to hang out again, that's for sure. I won't be at T.H.E. Show tomorrow, but should be able to make Sunday. Have fun later today (Saturday) and hope to see you on Sunday!

May 30, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #69 of 234
It would be fun to hang out again, that's for sure. I won't be at T.H.E. Show tomorrow, but should be able to make Sunday. Have fun later today (Saturday) and hope to see you on Sunday!

Ahh thats a shame you can't make it Saturday, I'll be there Sunday also probably will duck out a tad early to make it for a friends show in LA. See you Sunday 
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #70 of 234
Just wanted to chime in. 

Fantastic review!

I own TWO of these with TWO of the optional subwoofers. The RIVA Turbo X completely kills them. This has to be the best sounding portable speaker I have ever heard and I have heard a ton as my father owns about 20 of them....well...used to...he got rid of all of them after he stole my RIVA Turbo X.

Thanks, appreciate the comment!

Regarding your (your father's now) Turbo X, I see that your location is Southern California - this would be a perfect time to purchase a new Turbo X for yourself, especially during the show special! :bigsmile_face:

If you do attend T.H.E. Show this weekend, hope to see you there on Sunday!

May 30, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #71 of 234
It looks like the Riva carry bags on the table are in Moe's picture:

This bag is a HUGE bonus with this Bluetooth speaker. Worth it's weight in GOLD (although they don't really weigh much)!
biggrin.gif

Perfect fit and also holds cables and accessories. Nice touch. Little things like this helps make a vendor so special.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #72 of 234
Have a question for all of those that have heard this compared to similarly priced computer monitors. I'm looking for something to listen to music and use with my TV. On a sound comparison, do these sound the same, better or worse then something like the JBL lsr 305s or similar products? Not talking about size, Bluetooth etc, just based on sound.

Jun 13, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #73 of 234
  Just wanted to chime in. 

Fantastic review!

Coming from you, this has a lot of weight for me. Kills them you say? Wow. I had never heard of those that you gave the link for though. 20? Goodness. Well, I know what my next toy is going to be! I wish the Turbo X was more rugged though.

Jun 13, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #74 of 234
Coming from you, this has a lot of weight for me. Kills them you say? Wow. I had never heard of those that you gave the link for though. 20? Goodness. Well, I know what my next toy is going to be! I wish the Turbo X was more rugged though.

The Turbo X is splash-proof/resistant and has a rubber compartment below the speaker that can come off and be placed in the auxiliary ports in rear of the speaker to protect them from moisture/splashes. Also, RIVA's felt-lined case keeps the Turbo X protected as well. I even tried playing the Turbo X while it was in the RIVA case - like a boom box (carried it via top handle) - and it sounded pretty darn good!

Jun 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #75 of 234
The Turbo X is splash-proof/resistant and has a rubber compartment below the speaker that can come off and be placed in the auxiliary ports in rear of the speaker to protect them from moisture/splashes. Also, RIVA's felt-lined case keeps the Turbo X protected as well. I even tried playing the Turbo X while it was in the RIVA case - like a boom box (carried it via top handle) - and it sounded pretty darn good!

I knew about that, but thanks for telling me :) It's just that the outside is glossy, and while looking good, is scratch prone. I guess this would be fine poolside or at the beach on a towel. I wonder if this could be mounted on a bicycle. How do you think it would fare on a hiking trip? I would think that the case would muffle the sound, and you'd lose a good bit of quality going that route. I would say that because it sounds so amazing, putting it in the case brings it down to a bit above average level, haha. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back