RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
May 31, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #5,626 of 6,034
Wow, thank you for such a helpful response. In the end the reset resolved the issue. I am really optimistic that I won't encounter the issue again anytime soon. It must have been some setting gone array. I've had the unit since December 2018 after all. Top, top shape otherwise.

Thanks again. Enjoy the music. Will check out that new single now. :)
I can imagine especially with a unit from 2018, there's been tons of firmware updates in the meantime. Especially with the big update from last year, RME completely rewrote the code to be as efficient as possible in order to be able to house all these features on it's limited storage and utilize it's processing power to the max.

A full factory reset helped me too after that one, I used to get some kind of odd clipping on my headphone outputs, completely gone after the reset.

May 31, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #5,627 of 6,034
I can imagine especially with a unit from 2018, there's been tons of firmware updates in the meantime. Especially with the big update from last year, RME completely rewrote the code to be as efficient as possible in order to be able to house all these features on it's limited storage and utilize it's processing power to the max.

A full factory reset helped me too after that one, I used to get some kind of odd clipping on my headphone outputs, completely gone after the reset.
Thanks also for the reset tip. I've had the ADI-2 DAC about 5 years too and did several firmware updates without a reset. No real concerning issues but I was getting an occasional DC warning as well. Hopefully the fresh reset will help.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #5,628 of 6,034
Yes, I had also kept the firmware and drivers up to date pretty much always, but it was the reset tip that worked wonders. I feel like I have a brand new unit. :) Enjoying the monochrome now, good stuff.

May 31, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #5,629 of 6,034
I've tried the Hypsos with the RME ADI 2 and it did improve sound quality. It sounded like it opened up a bit, had better dynamics, detail retrieval etc. A really nice change, but not worth it in my experience over the price difference of just upgrading DACs. I went from RME ADI 2 to a Gustard R26 and preferred the Gustard. I do miss all of the functionality and ease-of-use that the RME had, though. Hope that helps in some way. If I had to quantify it, the Ferrum Hypsos improved the RME ADI 2 by maybe 5%, whereas going R2R with R26, improved it to my ears by 25%. Totally different sonic characteristics though, may not be the same experience for everyone with differing tastes of course.
Thank you very much for the information and your impressions.
I have a Hypsos Oor stack but it doesn't sound like it's worth the cost of the Ferrum splitter and additional cable.
Although in this hobby, I think we chase those small percentage improvements. So, maybe one day...

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #5,630 of 6,034
Hi! I'm having trouble using 2/4 Pro's preamp mode. My Cayin N7 has a configurable LineOut/preamp 4,4 output which I feed into the Adi via XLR input on the back. While in Lineout mode, the sound is heavily distorted even if at very low volume. When I change to preamp mode, everything sounds great but now I have 2 preamps in my chain? Any ideas?

Edit : DX314 LO works as intended even at max volume.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #5,631 of 6,034
does any have EQ settings for focal stellia on adi2 fs? in jus use only external knob for highs +6db and sounds superior. dont know is any woorth use full band eq in menu? as factory tune is neutral sound and thats very ok. freequency graph shows a bit lower highs and for me +5+6db is nice sound.

Jun 16, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #5,632 of 6,034
Jun 18, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #5,634 of 6,034
The RME manuals are always a good read and not boring. They provide context with almost everything.

Jun 19, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #5,635 of 6,034
I had been struggling a bit with noise on some of my ultra sensitive IEMs on the RME ADI-2's IEM output. Not usual hissing, but odd occasional scratching on one channel and low level interactions with USB cables etc...

I reached out to RME and they connected me to their North American rep Synthax. They pointed out the existence of an upgraded power supply that now has a grounding pin (part number NT-RME-12) which I went ahead and ordered. I have been listening a bunch over the weekend and it does indeed appear to have eliminated the issue. For anyone else rocking an older ADI-2, check your external power brick to see if it has only +/- prongs or if the ground pin is present... I highly recommend the low cost ($59 USD before shipping) part for the improved grounding if you have the dual prong version.

Also, very nice post-warranty support from Synthax, offering an effective solution on a tricky issue!

Jun 19, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #5,636 of 6,034
I had been struggling a bit with noise on some of my ultra sensitive IEMs on the RME ADI-2's IEM output. Not usual hissing, but odd occasional scratching on one channel and low level interactions with USB cables etc...

I reached out to RME and they connected me to their North American rep Synthax. They pointed out the existence of an upgraded power supply that now has a grounding pin (part number NT-RME-12) which I went ahead and ordered. I have been listening a bunch over the weekend and it does indeed appear to have eliminated the issue. For anyone else rocking an older ADI-2, check your external power brick to see if it has only +/- prongs or if the ground pin is present... I highly recommend the low cost ($59 USD before shipping) part for the improved grounding if you have the dual prong version.

Also, very nice post-warranty support from Synthax, offering an effective solution on a tricky issue!
I am waiting for this when it will finally be available

https://www.synthax.co.uk/latest/2022/07/22/demo-rme-adi-2-4-pro-se-dps-2-canjam-london-2022/

Jun 19, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #5,638 of 6,034
Jun 20, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #5,640 of 6,034
This product is intended for sale. it should have been last year but it was delayed to this year to have time to improve it. If you go to the RME forum, they talk about it
im use focal stellia with rme adi2 fs dac and thats is best sound quality. for better sound no help any valued cables or more valued dacs. i think and thats true. sound is sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back