Rockbox and Dock Questions
Sep 13, 2006 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
I've done some poking around on the Rockbox forum and asked a few questions but I'm still a bit confused about using an iPod with Rockbox and a Dock.

I'm a moron here, I don't have an iPod yet so I'm not familiar with all the functions. I don't have a computer at home right now so it need a way of charging other than USB so a dock seems logical. Basically what I want to do is have a dock sitting by my stereo amp as sort of a home base for the iPod where it can be used with the stereo via lineout funtions and where it can charge. I had been intending on getting Apples Universal Dock until I found out you have to buy an AC adapter on top of that. I stumbled on a great deal for a Kensington Stereo Dock which is what I would probably get.

I know the remote funtions are unlikely to work when using Rockbox but I'm curious if anyone else is using the Kensington Dock (or any other dock for that matter) with Rockbox and whether they're able to get lineout funtions as well as charging via AC? If so are there any pitfalls to be aware of? If not using the Kensington what dock are you using or recommend?

Sep 15, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 6
Your plan is impossible now unfortunatly because rockboxed iPod cannot charge via AC adaptor now.

Sep 15, 2006 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sulcata_geo
Your plan is impossible now unfortunatly because rockboxed iPod cannot charge via AC adaptor now.

You sure can. Connect the AC, press and hold the menue-button during reboot.

Rockbox on the iPod doesn't mean you'll loose access to the Apple-FW. So, you could boot the Apple-FW just to the iPod charged.

A third and highly recommended option would be a different bootloader, ipodloader2 for instance. This will allow you to boot into disk mode, from where you can charge the iPod.

Sep 15, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sulcata_geo

Acutally my rockboxed ipod works perfectly fine with the firewire AC adaptor, but doesn't work with the USB AC adaptor.

Sep 15, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 6
The more I think about it the more it seems to make sense to convert my FLAC's to ALAC's so I don't lose access to my music when I boot into Apple's firmware therefore the dock wouldn't be an issue because I'd probably be mainly interested in using Rockbox when I'm listening via headphones anyway.

Sep 15, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Well the best part about Rockbox is that it doesn't overwrite your Apple firmware, so you can boot into whatever one you want for various tasks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back