Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 - Alex's Beautiful New Baby
Aug 8, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #91 of 1,038
I picked up a pair from Headphones.com. Taron and Andrew Lissimore (founders of the company) are amazing to work with, so I highly recommend!

As for the RAD-0, I immediately liked how they sound, more than any Audeze headphone I've owned in the past, included a recent pair of LCD-4s. The RAD-0 has incredible clarity throughout all frequencies, without harsh treble. The treble is definitely more defined and present than the LCD-4, and it has a "rounded" quality where it hits you, but not too hard that it's piercing. In comparison, my previous Hifiman HEKse had great treble extension, but sounded harsh on some recordings. The clarity really isn't just in the treble though. Mids and bass are so clear, bass is punchy and never sounds smeared into the low-mids. The soundstage isn't as wide as the HEKse (which is the widest headphone I've heard), but it actually has more depth. There were a number of songs where I felt like the bass line was coming from slightly behind my head, instead of just laterally. Better soundstage than the LCD-4 IMO. You wouldn't expect that at first because the clamping force is actually a little too strong. That might be my only strike against the RAD-0. The earpads aren't super thick or large, so the leather mostly just sits on your ear. It feels claustrophobic, but the soundstage is anything but closed in.

The swirled acrylic seemed a little excessive to me when I was considering buying them, but now that I have them in hand, they are downright beautiful. The ZMF Verite (my other keeper) is beautiful in it's own right, but the acrylic swirl on the RAD-0 is so unique and eye-catching. Overall, very pleased. To me, it solves the "recessed" sound of Audeze headphones that I never realized was there until I started venturing into Hifiman planars. I know some people feel like Hifiman does treble and clarity well, while Audeze does bass the best. Well finally, in my humble opinion, the RAD-0 combines both features of the best Hifiman and best Audeze headphones into one! Icing on the cake, there was a letter in the packaging from Alex Rosson stating that the drivers are warrantied FOR LIFE. Lifetime driver warranty is one of the reasons I decided to stick with ZMF, and it might be another reason I decide to keep the RAD-0 as well. I've only had one driver failure with Audeze, but that was enough for me to constantly be worried about high-end headphones failing on me. With a lifetime driver warranty, I'm completely happy keeping these headphones without wondering when I need to upgrade to the next model, just to renew the warranty.

I agree entirely with the impressions, this is a headphone people need to consider as an upgrade from Audeze if they wanted something more musical.

Audeze = Dark, Lush, Deep, Dry

RAD-0 = Musical, Warm, Smoother, More Liquid, more Air and Stage

Funny how you make such a comparison to Audeze because the founder Alex Rosson was a former Audeze member too... Looks like his breakout took things up a whole new level

Yes, this is the thing, Audeze is larger and has consideraly more resources than Alex Rosson has, like, Audeze does put more units on the market, but somehow the sound that Rosson does with their RAD-0 is something else entirely. Like, you can somewhat tell that they worked together a few years ago, but where Audeze lacks the treble extension, air and sparkle, RAD-0 has those, but in a very gentle / non intrussive way. Also, the bass is better on RAD-0 if you prefer a more fluid bass over a dry one, Audeze has a dry character in general

Aug 20, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #92 of 1,038
RAD-0 just arrived (from headphones.com) yesterday. I've had a quick listen, but I'm burning in, and also waiting on a balanced cable.

I expect that comparison with Empyrean will be interesting.

Aug 20, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #93 of 1,038
Looks like there are just a couple sets left on rossonaudiodesign.com: Everglades & White Sands.

headphonelounge.com shows completely sold out while headamp.com still has 4 sets left: Blood Burl, Tropical Canopy, Azure Twilight & Golden Nebula.

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #94 of 1,038
RAD-0 just arrived (from headphones.com) yesterday. I've had a quick listen, but I'm burning in, and also waiting on a balanced cable.

I expect that comparison with Empyrean will be interesting.
Did you get the correct pin config for your balanced cable? Rosson had to make me one. Ended up with 2 cables that I can’t use yet.

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #95 of 1,038
I have the Empyrean and rad 0. It’s tough to say which one is better.

Aug 20, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #96 of 1,038
I tried both the Rad-0 and Empyrean, and personally preferred the Rad-0. Though heavier, it looks much better when actually worn on the head, more cohesive sound with better controlled lows rather than modestly bloomy lows on the Empyrean. The Rad-0 did seem somewhat harder to drive with certain amps though.

Of course that's just my opinion, it would also be interesting to hear your take on the comparison.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #97 of 1,038
I have both the Empyrean and the Rad-0, they're complimentary. Or so I tell my wife :wink:
The Hifiman balanced cables don't work on the Rad-0. I myself am using one made by PlusSound

Aug 21, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #98 of 1,038
I tried both the Rad-0 and Empyrean, and personally preferred the Rad-0. Though heavier, it looks much better when actually worn on the head, more cohesive sound with better controlled lows rather than modestly bloomy lows on the Empyrean. The Rad-0 did seem somewhat harder to drive with certain amps though.

Of course that's just my opinion, it would also be interesting to hear your take on the comparison.

I resonate with this actually. RAD-0 is btter than Empyrean for rock and metal, and generally for guitar based music. Or bass based music. Or anything you want to sound musical and coherent.

Empyrean lacks musicality and cohesiveness, also RAD-0 has better bass.

In comfort, Empyrean is much better, lighter, less clamping, just more comfy. Also design will be a thing of taste.

But in sound alone, RAD-0 wins, unless you want more treble sparkle, where RAD-0 is smoother and isn't the most sparkly headphone out there.

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #100 of 1,038
Well, I'll give a thorough RAD-0/Empy comparison.

I'm in A/B heaven right now, since I can feed two rigs with the same source. SU-1 splits USB input to two DACs, Hattor preamp has two inputs and provides remote switching. It also has two outputs, and right now I have two Liquid Platinum amps with 2 pair Brimar CV-2492 tubes (which I like best with Empy and will probably be great with RAD-0).

So to A/B, all I have to do is volume match the two amps and simply swap cans. About the only un-controlled variable is cabling, and both Empy and RAD-0 are going to be run with silver cables from headphonelounge.com. All balanced from DACs to headphones.

I'll probably be able to post some comparisons early next week.

BTW, George is correct, Empy wins comfort contest easily, although I will say that the RAD-0 pads certainly feel luxurious.

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #101 of 1,038
I've said more elsewhere, but I've been enjoying the RAD-0 for just shy of a month now (listening split between these, the SR1a and ZMF's Vérité), but and wound up buying the "Graffiti" version (I think they're the 12th set made). And I have to say they are one hell of a first release, even given their designer's history with Audeze.

They sounded great straight out of the box, are more natural sounding than the LCD-4 (unless you apply Audeze's "Reveal" corrections or use the pre-sets in Roon) and need less power to drive them (ran perfectly off both my A&K SP1000M and the tube-output on my Cayin N8). The LCD-4 just edges them out in terms of some raw technicalities, but the difference is small. For something to plug in to almost anything (did great out of a DragonFly Cobalt too) and just enjoy music with, these are a better bet for me.

Rosson Audio - RAD-0 - Side (1024).jpg

In fact, despite being on an aggressive self-imposed downsizing tear (where any new headphone purchase had to replace at least one, preferably more, existing ones in my collection), I made an exception and simply added the RAD-0 to my stable - that's how good I think they are and how much I like them. On the planar side of things it joins my LCD-4 and AB-1266 Phi CC. Neither of which are at their absolute best straight out of a Hugo 2, or DAVE, in my opinion, but the RAD-0 is perfectly happy there:

Rosson Audio - RAD-0 + Hugo 2 - Stack (1024).jpg

Comfort was a mixed bag at first. Clamp pressure was quite high, and they weigh as much as my LCD-4 (~714g). But the clamp pressure actually reduces as you extend the yokes. And the weight is nothing any wooden-rings-equipped Audeze user is going to worry about. Now I can wear them all day without issue.

And one of the first things I did was build a balanced cable for them. Which is a bit of a pain since the connections in the cups are recessed and very narrow, which severely limits the choice of available plugs (3.5mm TRS). But it was worth the time to do, with imaging/separation improving along with benefits to micro-dynamics and low-level resolution.

I'll get around to proper impressions at some point, but since I've seen a few other comments in comparison to the Meze Empyrean, I figured I'd mention those as well. I had a very brief time with the Empyrean along side the RAD-0. The Meze are gorgeously made, super-comfortable, very light, feel amazing and while they sound excellent in general, I felt they were lacking presence and resolution in the mid-range, and didn't find the overall presentation to be cohesive. The treble felt like it was being beamed right into my ears. The bass was big and powerful, but seems to come from "everywhere else". And a little lost, and behind, in the overall mix were the mids. A lot of FUN to listen to. I get why they are getting a lot of hype. But overall they weren't for me ... where the Rosson unit very much was.

Very definitely something worth checking out if you like planar cans.

Oh, and for those asking earlier in the thread about power requirements/drive needs:

RAD-0 - Power.png

Aug 22, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #102 of 1,038
@Torq

These headphones are absolutely beautiful and the photos are as well great! This colour scheme looks better on your photos than in the pictures of Rosson Audio site.
My three favourite colour schemes are:

1.Opal
2.Sunset
3.Blue Mountain ( In general i like blue. and the mix of blue and green in this scheme is nice)

So i hope they will be soon back in stock. But i worry about that the first edition is a limited edition and there are less colour schemes in the future.

Aug 22, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #103 of 1,038
These headphones are absolutely beautiful and the photos are as well great! This colour scheme looks better on your photos than in the pictures of Rosson Audio site.

So i hope they will be soon back in stock. But i worry about that the first edition is a limited edition and there are less colour schemes in the future.

The pictures on the Rosson Audio site are a bit subdued vs. the pictures and headphones I've seen in the wild. ... probably due to the lighting being a bit flat.

I don't know what the plans are in terms of future production. I do know the nature of how the cups are made means that every one is unique currently - and short of making them a single solid color I don't see how that would change. Though that doesn't mean that future "from stock" models won't be less varied. There is, however, always the custom option (it's there right now) ... and there you can choose your colors, metals, whether you want wood or metal in the cups themselves and so on.

I actually hedged a fair bit on whether to go with the "Graffiti" or to do a custom build. In the end I decided I wasn't sure I could come up with a color combination liked better, and if I did, and went custom in the future, it wouldn't be hard to purpose or sell this pair. And then I understand, indirectly, that Alex was particularly pleased with how this pair turned out ... and didn't necessarily want to let them go ... so that was kind of fun too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back