RS1 vs MSPro i brief comparison
Dec 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kite7

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received the Music Series Pro i, improved version with the thick cable and round rod (older versions have the thinner cable and square rod)

On a brief listen, I can clearly make out the differences. They are very obvious, I'm 100% sure that I would be able to pass a blind test with no sweat
wink.gif

The headband on the MS-Pro is clamping my head harder than my RS1 but these are my impressions anyways. I will reassess everything when the headband tension is more or less like my RS1. I use the same pair of bowls on both, meaning everytime I go to MS-Pro I remove the bowls from my RS1 and put them on the MS-Pro and vice versa.

MS-Proi sounds like the RS1 with more bass and no peaks meaning little to no brightness of the typical grado. It sounds like the MS-Pro emphasizes on the bass and midrange region while the RS1 is on the midrange and treble. Imagine taking the grado brightness and shift it towards the lower spectrum, that is what a MS-Pro sounds like to me. I could definitely see someone who hates the brightness on grados be perfectly content with the MS-Pro. Saying the MS-Pro sounds like the RS1 is an overstatement, I find the overall presentation quite different.

Bass: MS-Pro has noticeable more bass across the board. The bass sounds extremely solid and plenty in the low spectrum giving the MS-Pro a heaver or fuller sound that the RS1. The bass is more punchy on the MS-Pro. It's extremely easy for me to follow the bass line of a bass guitar on the MS-Pro. I must admit the bass is fairly addicting on this MS-Pro

Midrange : MS-Pro has a very smooth midrange with no harshness whatsoever. The MS-Pro and RS1 both have an excellent midrange sound. The RS1 is a little more forward, not significantly. RS1 sounds live, everything sounds more "raw". Guitars do not sound better on the MS-Pro that the RS1; I prefer the RS1 for guitars noticeably more. MS-Pro could be said to be a better all arounder, RS1 on the other hand simply just excels with rock where MS-Pro does not. I still need to listen more to decide on the colorization of the midrange, if any, on the MS-Pro.

Highs : Same detail as RS1 but a little more hidden and not as pronounced as the RS1. Again, MS-Pro does not sound bright at all compared to RS1. I can easily see people liking the MS-Pro for this trait.

Soundstage : Same on both, typical grado soundstage. Nothing I can notice right away from one another.

The MS-Pro sounds more closed and RS1 sounds more open; RS1 to me simply sounds more airy.

MS-Pro has absolutely no shrillness,harshness or any hint of sibiliance; the same can't be said for the RS1 at all times depending on the recording.

PRaT is great on both, MS-Pro still has the grado PRaT maybe even bettered due to the added bass impact. Add the bass of the MS-Proi on my RS1 and I'll be completely satisfied for life
biggrin.gif

Now I'm wondering if what I am hearing sounds like a HF2 sound ( I've seen a lot of people comment on how it's a darker sounding grado can) because the MS-Pro is a "heavier" sounding can than the RS1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back