RS2i G-Cush Question
Jul 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MisterMoJo

500+ Head-Fier
Hi I am sorta new here.  I have been registered for a while, and lurked for a while before that... but I haven't posted in a long time.  So hello!  I had a question about g-cush modding my brand new RS2i's.  I bought them three days ago and they arrived yesterday.  After 15 minutes of use, I realized there was going to be a problem in the comfort department.  I know other people have this problem with Grado's as well.  I was looking for advice on whether I should g-cush mod them or not.  Will that make them more comfortable?  And what will that do to the sound?  I searched alot and couldn't find answers to these question.  Thanks!
Jason

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:
Hi I am sorta new here.  I have been registered for a while, and lurked for a while before that... but I haven't posted in a long time.  So hello!  I had a question about g-cush modding my brand new RS2i's.  I bought them three days ago and they arrived yesterday.  After 15 minutes of use, I realized there was going to be a problem in the comfort department.  I know other people have this problem with Grado's as well.  I was looking for advice on whether I should g-cush mod them or not.  Will that make them more comfortable?  And what will that do to the sound?  I searched alot and couldn't find answers to these question.  Thanks!
Jason

Hi Jason:  Wouldn't have it any other way with my 325i and PS500.  Much wider soundstage and comfortable all day.  FR changes but I'm down with that.  I'm told that washing the stock pads in warm, soapy water will help.  You could try that.  Good luck!

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 16
The G-cush will absolutely be more comfortable, but will have a huge (IMO negative, with less detailed upper mids, and lack of base impact) effect on the sound.  I have found that you can additionally fold the innermost "outer portion" of the g-cush into the ring on the wood portion that is used to keep the cushion on (this moves it closer to the ear).  Then, if you modify the sound resonance of the cup with tape (and I've heard glue as well), this gets you closer to having much of the same sound, and much better comfort in my experience.

There are tons of threads about other pad mods though.  There must be at least a dozen common ones, and probably twice as many uncommon ones.  There a number of whole threads on the subject.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
The G-cush will absolutely be more comfortable, but will have a huge (IMO negative, with less detailed upper mids, and lack of base impact) effect on the sound.  I have found that you can additionally fold the innermost "outer portion" of the g-cush into the ring on the wood portion that is used to keep the cushion on (this moves it closer to the ear).  Then, if you modify the sound resonance of the cup with tape (and I've heard glue as well), this gets you closer to having much of the same sound, and much better comfort in my experience.

There are tons of threads about other pad mods though.  There must be at least a dozen common ones, and probably twice as many uncommon ones.  There a number of whole threads on the subject.

could you help a brother out and point a couple of these threads out?

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 16
You could also try different positions around your ears - in my case, the place where is sounds best is also the most comfortable (a little more forward than usual), so it's a nice coincidence, but positioning them slightly differently can change the sound quite a bit for the worse too.

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 16
Any of the other pads (G-Cush, Comfies, etc) will change the sound pretty dramatically - you may or may not be okay with the results. What about the RS-2 are discomfortable to you though? Have you tried bending the headband out (as Grado suggests)? Or leaving them stretched over something (your head, a book, etc) to take some of the tension out? (Also, a bit more quirky - are the rods in the right position (they'll fit my huge head even at the smallest size, but it's very tight and uncomfortable, but stretched out, they're fairly comfy)).

As far as the heat thing goes - I've found that if my earpads are "cold" they're stiffer and less comfy, but if warmed up (from use, or if it's warm, or whatever) they're quite soft. I assume washing them would improve this, but I'm not *that* bothered.

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
Any of the other pads (G-Cush, Comfies, etc) will change the sound pretty dramatically - you may or may not be okay with the results. What about the RS-2 are discomfortable to you though? Have you tried bending the headband out (as Grado suggests)? Or leaving them stretched over something (your head, a book, etc) to take some of the tension out? (Also, a bit more quirky - are the rods in the right position (they'll fit my huge head even at the smallest size, but it's very tight and uncomfortable, but stretched out, they're fairly comfy)).
As far as the heat thing goes - I've found that if my earpads are "cold" they're stiffer and less comfy, but if warmed up (from use, or if it's warm, or whatever) they're quite soft. I assume washing them would improve this, but I'm not *that* bothered.

They dig into my left ear quite a bit.  Positioning hasn't helped solve the problem, and I tried for several hours to find the best postition.  I tried bending it out, and heard a cracking noise!  I assume they are ok, but I must have done it wrong.  I tried more gently after that, and didn't get very far.  So maybe I should try that angle a bit more.  I tried various positions like I mentioned, for the rods themselves too.  Not much luck.  My right ear is fine.  It just doesn't work for my left ear.  I am probably going to try the comfies if all else fails, they seem to be the best option.

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 16
They dig into my left ear quite a bit.  Positioning hasn't helped solve the problem, and I tried for several hours to find the best postition.  I tried bending it out, and heard a cracking noise!  I assume they are ok, but I must have done it wrong.  I tried more gently after that, and didn't get very far.  So maybe I should try that angle a bit more.  I tried various positions like I mentioned, for the rods themselves too.  Not much luck.  My right ear is fine.  It just doesn't work for my left ear.  I am probably going to try the comfies if all else fails, they seem to be the best option.

Really odd. As far as bending - cracking is bad! Hold the headband itself (not the rod blocks) and gently stretch outwards - don't put the force on the rods or the cups when bending outwards. Just on the spring steel headband (that can take it); don't be too aggressive though (I'm sure if you were strong enough you could snap the headband).

I'd try the comfies and see if that helps, or maybe get a new left ear. :p

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
You could also try different positions around your ears - in my case, the place where is sounds best is also the most comfortable (a little more forward than usual), so it's a nice coincidence, but positioning them slightly differently can change the sound quite a bit for the worse too.

I tried every position I could think of!
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Really odd. As far as bending - cracking is bad! Hold the headband itself (not the rod blocks) and gently stretch outwards - don't put the force on the rods or the cups when bending outwards. Just on the spring steel headband (that can take it); don't be too aggressive though (I'm sure if you were strong enough you could snap the headband).
I'd try the comfies and see if that helps, or maybe get a new left ear.
tongue.gif

I am going to try and return these... if not I may or may not sell them.  In between , however, I will try these ideas.

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

I tried every position I could think of!
wink_face.gif

Quote:
I'd try the comfies and see if that helps, or maybe get a new left ear.
tongue.gif

I am going to try and return these... if not I may or may not sell them.  In between , however, I will try these ideas.

If you bought from a local dealer, seems like they would let you try some different pads, like G-Cush.
smile.gif

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

could you help a brother out and point a couple of these threads out?

In this thread, you can do something similar to what he does, but with the G-cush (instead of the sr60 pad) - this is what I mentioned doing in my thread.  There a post specific to the RS-series, but I couldn't find it.  You will still need to also tape it to keep more of the bass (taped bowl mod).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/441116/new-grado-pad-mod-that-sounds-great

Here is an very brief overview:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/grado-pad-choices-and-mods

You can also mod your stock pads by covering them with garfields (IMO, you still have to cut a small dime-size hole in the middle to preserve the sound): http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-192977.html

This thread has all kinds of stuff, but it's a burden to look through due to the length of the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 16
I have the grado bowl pads and I shampoo'ed them to soften them up... much more comfortable. I have yet tested if the shampoo process effected the sound quality though 
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

In this thread, you can do something similar to what he does, but with the G-cush (instead of the sr60 pad) - this is what I mentioned doing in my thread.  There a post specific to the RS-series, but I couldn't find it.  You will still need to also tape it to keep more of the bass (taped bowl mod).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/441116/new-grado-pad-mod-that-sounds-great

Here is an very brief overview:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/grado-pad-choices-and-mods

You can also mod your stock pads by covering them with garfields (IMO, you still have to cut a small dime-size hole in the middle to preserve the sound): http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-192977.html

This thread has all kinds of stuff, but it's a burden to look through due to the length of the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods

Thanks so much!  I would have never found that stuff.  Very helpful.
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
I have the grado bowl pads and I shampoo'ed them to soften them up... much more comfortable. I have yet tested if the shampoo process effected the sound quality though 
tongue.gif

That seems like the easiest thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back