RWAK 120-s vs AK 240?
Apr 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

jlbrach

Headphoneus Supremus
How do people size up the sonic differences between a modified 120 and the new 240?To me having 2 mini SD ports rather than one is a big advantage in terms of capacity going forward if you assume that the next jump in Mini SD will be from 128-256GB....Has anyone listened to the modified 120 and the 240?If so what are your thoughts?

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 39
I would also be very interested in hearing a comparison of the AK240 and the RWAK120 S or B

Cheers

May 11, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 39
Yes I had a very amazing opportunity today to listen to the brand new RWAK 240 modification vs. the Cord Hugo.  Blind testing using conventional CD quality 16/44.100kHz all the way to high resolution sources up to 24/192kHz.  Blind testing was conducted 7 times between the two sources and 6 of the 7 times I picked the RWAK 240 over the Cord Hugo with regarding to better SQ!!!  The differences were obvious and almost immediate to me. We were using the 2.5mm TRRS balanced output.  

I want to extend a huge THANK YOU to Tom Boozebuttons and Vinnie from Red Wine Audio for helping me make this testing a reality. I was so set on purchasing the Cord Hugo before the testing began I was shocked but my own ears told me otherwise.  Both really amazing and current state of the art DAC players.

Sincerely,
Speedracer1  (aka Tom)    

May 11, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 39
Why didn't you add Clip+ to the mix?  You probably would have gotten 7/7 with the clip+  
evil_smiley.gif

May 11, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 39
That sounds awesome :)

Still after that illusive comparison of the RWAK120 and the AK240 though :wink:

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 39
  Yes I had a very amazing opportunity today to listen to the brand new RWAK 240 modification vs. the Cord Hugo.  Blind testing using conventional CD quality 16/44.100kHz all the way to high resolution sources up to 24/192kHz.  Blind testing was conducted 7 times between the two sources and 6 of the 7 times I picked the RWAK 240 over the Cord Hugo with regarding to better SQ!!!  The differences were obvious and almost immediate to me. We were using the 2.5mm TRRS balanced output.  

I want to extend a huge THANK YOU to Tom Boozebuttons and Vinnie from Red Wine Audio for helping me make this testing a reality. I was so set on purchasing the Cord Hugo before the testing began I was shocked but my own ears told me otherwise.  Both really amazing and current state of the art DAC players.

Sincerely,
Speedracer1  (aka Tom)    

What does this have to do with what the OP is asking? Totally irrelevant and blindly ignoring the question so you can showboat what you got to do and have a brag?

Your first word "Yes" blows my mind. No one asked you about the RWAK240 OR the Hugo. I don't know how you're comparing a DAP and an amp. 

Back on track, I would really like to know just like the OP from someone who actually has compared a RWAK120S (or even an RWAK100S) and a stock AK240.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 39
Jlbrach just my $0.02. I have a 120 and a 240. Though the 120 is unmodified.

I found that 240 to be more analytical while the 120 being more enjoyable.

Details, clarity is with the 240, but if i just want to chill out and just enjoy music, id get the 120.

My location is prohibitive in sending the 120 for modification but i've been thinking about rwak or mezzo also and would be interested in a comparison if someone is able to share.

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 39
I don't know if anyone is still interested, but there are reviews out there. From the ones I've read, the Rwak120b sounds on par for the most part or slightly better. A little more punch to the bass. But, I've seen two people that have had both sell their Rwak120b and keep the 240. That being said, I'm heavily leaning towards picking up an AK240 myself, and shipping it to Vinnie.

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 39
I don't know if anyone is still interested, but there are reviews out there. From the ones I've read, the Rwak120b sounds on par for the most part or slightly better. A little more punch to the bass. But, I've seen two people that have had both sell their Rwak120b and keep the 240. That being said, I'm heavily leaning towards picking up an AK240 myself, and shipping it to Vinnie.

As an unmodded AK120 owner I think the problem is that even after the RWAK120b upgrade, you end up with a very expensive player that sounds about as good as the AK240, but lacks the much nicer interface, more powerful headphone out, balanced headphone out, ability to use headphones without an amp, streaming server, larger storage, etc etc.

Even if you already have an AK120 (so you only pay the upgrade price), perhaps it is better to wait for a new player since AK have proved they trash models pretty quickk anyway.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 39
I bought mine because I feel I had a super deal for it, plus I had the ideal amp, the intruder. Still quite curious about an Rwak240 or Rwak120ii to be honest.

For those interested, the HO still works, I just don't have volume control. it plays loud, not too loud, it's actually at a volume I personally enjoy.

All that being said, I agree with you @likearake I'm not too sure it'd be worth it for a lot of people. I only paid $850 for mine as I had an amp already, to get one of the supposed better setups. For me, I am happy and it was well worth it.

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 39

I'm on the edge of...shipping to Vinnie...LOL

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 39

As an unmodded AK120 owner I think the problem is that even after the RWAK120b upgrade, you end up with a very expensive player that sounds about as good as the AK240, but lacks the much nicer interface, more powerful headphone out, balanced headphone out, ability to use headphones without an amp, streaming server, larger storage, etc etc.

Even if you already have an AK120 (so you only pay the upgrade price), perhaps it is better to wait for a new player since AK have proved they trash models pretty quickk anyway.

+1

Sep 5, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #13 of 39

I think the difference between the old AKs (100/100mk2/120) are...
1. Output impedance 120/3ohms; 120ii/1ohm/balanced...this gives 120ii a flatter frequency response for most IEMs
2. Output voltage  120/1.5v; 120ii/2.3v ...120ii has wider swing of voltage that gives better dynamic range

Streaming server, to some might be useful but not all.  And now with new generation of 128GB microSD that dilutes the problem on storage limitation.

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #14 of 39
I'm curious to hear a direct comparison myself. But going off of opinions of fellow headfiers I trust I'm hearing the 901 with its upgraded amp card beat out the 240 in terms of sound quality. The AK100 S-mod beats out the 901 by a nice margin. With the 120 S-mod beating out the 100 S-mod by quite a margin as well. I'm doubtful the AK240 stock touches the S-mod. Of course people are going to opt for the better UI, storage, true DSD playback and luxury aspect of the 240. I was tempted myself but hell no lol. I can confidently say the 120-S mod is comparable to my desktop setup and probably better in some aspects. I went into the purchase knowing the limitations the mod entails. I went into it purely for the sound quality aspect. Pretty much I've never heard a DAP pull that off. Not even the DX100 amped through its LO is comparable to my desktop rig.

Someone mentioned power being one reason to go for the 240 over the S-mod? I'm a bit confused on that... You'd destroy your IEMs or ears plugging into the upgraded LO Vinnie installs on the unit.... The LO is set to 2Vrms. The unit is made to be used with an amp and in that you can use an amp that is significantly better than the one included with the 240 unit (generally the case with dedicated amp sections vs integrated, with lack of portability being the downfall).

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #15 of 39
I've never heard the 240, but did own an Rwak120b stacked with intruder. Going from memory against the newer AK100II and AK120II, SQ is close. Edge would go to the Rwak120b, but for everything else, the newer models are so much nicer. I am happy I made the switch as the newer units are smaller, better looking, and much better to use. Personally, I don't think. you could go wrong either way. If form is a factor, newer devices, SQ the modded older models, or get the best of both worlds, Rwak120ii or if money doesn't matter RWAK240!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back