Sabaj D5: the DAC that is unquestionably a digital to analog converter
Aug 7, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #271 of 298
Thanks. I would like to use XLR out with my teaks as i ussually get slight improvements in staging etc. with higher power headroom from balanced out based on my experience. But im sure XLR output imedance will be too high for 25 ohm cans on D5.
Also i am worried about m500 not having gain switch. You think that can be an issue?
Noo I wouldn't be worried since it uses digital volume control. You will have perfect channel balance in any case :)
PS make sure to buy from good retailer with good warranty etc. I don't recommend to buy from any random aliexpress seller

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #272 of 298
Noo I wouldn't be worried since it uses digital volume control. You will have perfect channel balance in any case :)
PS make sure to buy from good retailer with good warranty etc. I don't recommend to buy from any random aliexpress seller
Thanks a lot for advise @Baten.
I probably will buy m500 from amazon. That way i get a better chance to get most recent firmware.

Thanks again.

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #273 of 298
I probably will buy m500 from amazon. That way i get a better chance to get most recent firmware.
The M500 is a very good choice. No balanced headphone output but if one of your headphones need more juice, you can just connect an amp later or on or whatever. It leaves a lot of possibilities, and the recent hardware upgrade makes it better on paper than the Sabaj

Enjoy!!

Nov 8, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #274 of 298
In case any one stumbles on this thread looking for firmware update instructions: I strongly recommend ignoring the firmware on Sabaj's website and instead hit the link that PollyYingYang provided on this thread for 1.6. It's got great instructions with pictures.

Months ago I got the tool but nevertheless got around to updating my firmware. This last week I tried to use the tool with the firmware on the Sabaj site and failed spectacularly.

Firmware 1.6 provides more volume steps, from 40 to 90 but greatly reduces internal noise. My most sensitive headphones and IEMs picked up buzz or whine that would only go away with impedance adapters or my ifi iematch. This included my Takstar Pro 82, Tenhz P4 pro and JVC HA FX01. Now only my Tenhz pick up any noise, and its much reduced.

A surprise benefit was that my Koss ESP6 electrostatics, using line out, had a clock like tick I couldn't figure out. I figured I just modded them inaccurately. But once I updated, the noise went away and overall they sound much more clear.

I strongly recommend updating, in my case I was on 1.1.

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #276 of 298
Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #278 of 298
Do I need an additional headphone amp to this D5 unit? (I'm already fine using HD650 and LCD-X with no problem, volume knob is at max 60 of 90, and that is very loud for me). I have never used an additional headphone amp before, so don't know if it affect overall sound in any ways...some people say that using an additional amp would bring wider image or soundstage and bass would become fuller. Is it true? Thank You guys.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #279 of 298
Do I need an additional headphone amp to this D5 unit? (I'm already fine using HD650 and LCD-X with no problem, volume knob is at max 60 of 90, and that is very loud for me). I have never used an additional headphone amp before, so don't know if it affect overall sound in any ways...some people say that using an additional amp would bring wider image or soundstage and bass would become fuller. Is it true? Thank You guys.
The sabaj D5 XLR headphone amp is really quite good. As for the single ended output.. yes you can get better.

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #280 of 298

Are you using the XLR output for both of those headphones? If not, you might get a boost just by swapping cables.

Ignoring the debate about balanced vs single ended, the reviews of the D5 show that the hardware connected to the XLR is much better than the single ended amplification.

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #281 of 298
Are you using the XLR output for both of those headphones? If not, you might get a boost just by swapping cables.

Ignoring the debate about balanced vs single ended, the reviews of the D5 show that the hardware connected to the XLR is much better than the single ended amplification.
I'm using only SE output at the moment, cause I don't have XLR cables for my headphones.
Thanks! Will order some new XLR cables for this. Does sound signature will change somehow over XLR output, or is it just for additional power and loudness? :)

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #282 of 298
I'm using only SE output at the moment, cause I don't have XLR cables for my headphones.
Thanks! Will order some new XLR cables for this. Does sound signature will change somehow over XLR output, or is it just for additional power and loudness? :)
Additional power + better amplifier performance in this case. You should notice a difference :wink: just make sure your headphones can work with a balanced cable. You cannot use single ended cable with an adapter into the balanced output, that can break your Sabaj D5, be aware.

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #283 of 298

I agree with Baten, you should see a big improvement by just switching cables. I know that both of your headphones have balanced cables available.

I'm not impressed with the D5 single ended amplification, but I am with the XLR output. I would expect more bass and soundstage from your headphones, but I can't say for sure. I've never owned a pair of Audeze and I last owned a pair of HD660's 2 years ago.

If you read the D5 review on audiosciencereview, you'll see the same thing reported. I personally don't see the need in expensive cables, but if you get basic XLR's you'll get a solid boost at a lower price than buying a new amplifier.

May 4, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #285 of 298
I tried the VC briefly with my D5 but generally find the D5's amplification somewhat under-powered. I keep my D5 as a DAC (along with my SPL Phonitor XE) and it's in this configuration where the VC really shines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back