Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jul 10, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #481 of 3,339
As I saw there is a small button on the front beside indicated leds, I supposed it is the switching outputs' one.

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #486 of 3,339
     Quote:
Which price range dacs the Schiit DAC going to compete with?

$350 or $450 for those USB fiends? 
confused.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #487 of 3,339
Noticed in a photo stream somewhere a picture of Schiit amps burning in.  Wondered if Bifrosts will be fully burned in when shipped or if we can expect that they will need some burn-in at home before they sound their best.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #492 of 3,339

Quote:
I don,t want to say your lying but has anyone emailed them on this subject to be sure of such?

Hi, shaunybaby.  As I mentioned above, there's a photostream somewhere (wish I remembered exactly where - if I locate it I'll let you know, or maybe someone else here will recognize it from my description) with captions that was sort of "A Day in the Life of Schiit," showing their offices, Mike and Jason doing designs, their production lead Rina Slayter, etc.  One of the photos was captioned "[Name of Schiit Amp] burning in" or something like that, and showed a couple of rows of amps sitting on shelves.

I haven't e-mailed them to ask if this was an extra special shipment; I assumed it wasn't and that they did the burn-in procedure for pretty much everything they send out.  Anyhow, I've posted the question about Bifrost burn-in here, so if Jason answers "What burn-in?" or something similar then we'll know either I hallucinated the photostream or that *was* a special shipment of amps.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #495 of 3,339
Hey all,

Burn-in? Yep, everything's burned in for a day before we ship. This isn't for audio quality, though--this is to catch early failures. Our amps usually improve over the next 50-100 hours of run time beyond our burn-in. Bifrost will probably be similar.

Power supply scrimping? Uh, no. Like I've said before, we don't do wall-warts, we don't do switching power supplies. Bifrost uses a 4X over-specced EI core transformer (the same kind of transformer we use on all of our gear,) feeding 5 stages of regulation, with low-noise regulators in critical sections, and over a dozen conductive polymer aluminum solid electrolytic capacitors--which you typically only find on very, very expensive gear. Bifrost is no joke--it's a serious DAC!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back