Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #16 of 1,488
The Folkvangr is the first Schiit product that I've been able to buy at introduction. I'm looking forward to this adventure!
I have bought several pieces of Schiit at or close to introduction before, the Lyr3, the Bifrost2, and by happenstance, the Vali2+ (I was going to order a plain V2 but when I got to it it had just been updated).

The Folkvangr, however, is the only one I’ve been sitting and reloading the Schiit product page for in anticipation of its release :sweat_smile:

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #17 of 1,488
I have bought several pieces of Schiit at or close to introduction before, the Lyr3, the Bifrost2, and by happenstance, the Vali2+ (I was going to order a plain V2 but when I got to it it had just been updated).

The Folkvangr, however, is the only one I’ve been sitting and reloading the Schiit product page for in anticipation of its release :sweat_smile:
I was doing the same. I actually planned my morning for yesterday around Jason's announcement last week.

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #18 of 1,488
I couldn't resist it. The pull was too much. I just pulled the trigger on the black version. 7-10 days out per the website. Now to clear a shelf on the stereo stand. This should pair nicely with my HD700's.

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #19 of 1,488
I've been waiting for this amp ever since Jason first mentioned it.
Same. So very much same.
I'm really interested to compare the sound of the Gungnir to my Bifrost 2.
I'd be interested in that comparison too. Sticking with my Modi for the moment, but now that I'm falling down the rabbit hole a bit further with this giant, super non-objectivist space heater, I'm a bit more curious about MB DACs.

Good luck with your rack build, be sure to post pics once it's set up.

Jun 28, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #20 of 1,488
I've been waiting for this amp ever since Jason first mentioned it. I love tubes in general (I collect and restore old Tektronix 500 series oscilloscopes) and tube
Assembling a frame now using black MakerBeam components (kinda like minature 80/20 extrusions) to hold the Folkvangr, my Mjolnir 2 above the Gungnir. The Incubus will sit off to the side of the Folkvangr, my streamer will sit below it.
Gotta love 80/20 extruded T-Slot-

Attachments

• 73DAE281-260B-43AA-A983-F53123762BCA.jpeg
    73DAE281-260B-43AA-A983-F53123762BCA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #21 of 1,488
I've been waiting for this amp ever since Jason first mentioned it. I love tubes in general (I collect and restore old Tektronix 500 series oscilloscopes) and tube audio in particular. And I happen to love planar headphones. Ideally driven by tubes (Incubus) or tube hybrids (Mjolnir).

Ordered the Folkvangr yesterday about 930 AM EDT. It's listed as "In Production", so hopefully I'll see it late next week.
Ordered a Gungnir last week, it shipped yesterday, arrives on Saturday. As do my in-laws. I may get as far as unboxing it and powering it up, probably won't listen to it for a few days. Schiit DACs always need time to warm up and settle in after arrival. I'm really interested to compare the sound of the Gungnir to my Bifrost 2.

Assembling a frame now using black MakerBeam components (kinda like minature 80/20 extrusions) to hold the Folkvangr, my Mjolnir 2 above the Gungnir. The Incubus will sit off to the side of the Folkvangr, my streamer will sit below it.

Tubes - I will probably swap out the 6n1p with Raytheon 6BQ7A which I've found sound the best to my ear for tonal balance and spaciousness. I've also got some Amperex 6DJ8s I can give a try as well, though so far in both my Valhalla 2 and Mjolnir 2, I've really come to like the Raytheon 6BQ7s.

Headphone choices, I have a few. HD650, DT990, HE400, LCD3, DCA Ether C. The DCA Ether C may not be compatible even with the impedance multiplier on as they are ~13 ohms. They do sound great with the Mjolnir 2 (bought expressly to drive the DCAs), so that may be their permanent pairing. Proof will be in the listening.

The Folkvangr is the first Schiit product that I've been able to buy at introduction. I'm looking forward to this adventure!
I will be curious to hear about the hd650 and the ethers. Was kind of looking at Ether cx at 23 ohms...I think I'm just insecure about Sundaras with this amp, as I only have these and HE6's so I don't have anything to compare since I can't use the latter. I don't necessarily want to drop another thousand after the amp but don't want to underdo it either.

Edit: I suppose I could also try my old ATH-M50X..

Second edit: Focal Elex sounds intriguing, 80 ohms, 104 db efficiency, and a reputation for a little brightness that may be softened by the tubiness...

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #22 of 1,488
Does anyone have any plans to swap tubes yet? If so, which ones might be a good match from the input side
Stash 1: Foton square getter 6N6P's. Have another dozen from a different year incoming. For inputs I'll start with 50's Foton triple mica 6N1P's. Then maybe try some '57 Brimar Footscray 12AT7's (if the extra gain doesn't overload the input stage).

6N6P Fotons.jpg

Jun 29, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #24 of 1,488
Ordered mine when it still said ships in 3-5 days so will hopefully get it next week some time!

I'll post some impressions with my current cans (DCA Stealth, HD800 SDR, and HD6XX) as well as comparison to my other amps. (ADI-2 DAC FS and Jot 2).

Jun 29, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #25 of 1,488
If anyone's got some of those scrumpdiddlyumptious Footscray Brimar CV4033's...I bet they'll sound pretty glorious on the Folkvangr :)

edit: lol I should read what was posted literally right above me :D would be curious to see if they work @bcowen! They're so great on the Valhalla 2.
Like these..
3585C3F9-4F52-45B3-8A72-1812A28CBA1F.jpeg
3AF5CDD0-31EC-461A-9BB7-9496DE5F293E.jpeg

Bought them quite awhile ago in hopes I ended up with something to use them in. May be my chance to try them out.

Jun 29, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #26 of 1,488
Since I currently only have Arya Stealth, and the Folkvangr is obviously going to be a tubey-tube amp (unlike the Mjolnir 2), I just picked up a pair of used HD800S. I had them in the past, but they lost out to the Focal Clear when paired with my old system (Modius > Jot 2) and I sold them. I hear they sound their best on tube amps, and planars generally don't sound great on tubes, so the real match up will probably be Mjolnir 2 > Arya vs. Folkvangr > HD800S. Since the MJ2 runs balanced and the Folkvangr is single-ended, and Gungnir outputs both signals simultaneously, I should be able to efficiently compare them. :raised_hands:

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #27 of 1,488
I’ll be watching and rooting for schiit but highly skeptical this will be a winner in terms of $ to performance.

Jun 29, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #28 of 1,488
If anyone's got some of those scrumpdiddlyumptious Footscray Brimar CV4033's...I bet they'll sound pretty glorious on the Folkvangr :)

edit: lol I should read what was posted literally right above me :D would be curious to see if they work @bcowen! They're so great on the Valhalla 2.
The CV4033 sounds awesome in the Vali 2 replacing its native 6922. Doesn’t do well in my Incubus replacing the native 6SN7 though….distorts at only moderate volume. Hopefully it will make peace with the Folkvangr, but I’ll report my findings once it gets here.

Jun 29, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #29 of 1,488
I’ll be watching and rooting for schiit but highly skeptical this will be a winner in terms of $ to performance.
All depends on how you define performance. We already know it measures like crap, so I’m far more concerned with $ to enjoyment. :slight_smile:

Jun 29, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #30 of 1,488
All depends on how you define performance. We already know it measures like crap, so I’m far more concerned with $ to enjoyment. :slight_smile:
I'm far from measurement guy, but crosstalk -60dB is kind of... weird, I don't think I ever seen an amp/dac perform this low in crosstalk.

Definitely still curious to be able to audition it though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back