Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #406 of 1,501
Well, after a bit of troubleshooting and back and forth with Schiit, I ended up having to exchange my tubes due to popping in one of the channels and audio occasionally cutting out completely.

Just got the new tubes today. (Yesterday?) Not sure... long weekend of moving. Either way, just sitting down to give the new tubes a listen.

Sammy Rae & The Friends came up on shuffle and now I am listening to a bunch more of their tracks. Sounding absolutely fantastic on my 6XX through the Folkvangr! Music always seems to sound better late in the evening after a long day. Set or setting? Who knows.

Will report back once I've had more time with Folkvangr and some of my other cans.
Glad you had the issue sorted!

I have noticed the same thing too, music sounds better late in the evening/night when everything else is done, probably because I’m more relaxed. It’s a fine line between that and getting too tired though.

I quite agree on the Folkvangr and HD6XX, too. Fantastic combo!

Jul 25, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #408 of 1,501
Any folks with the Atrium have further impressions? I've seen a couple initial remarks but it's been a few weeks and I'm intrigued with the pairing...
I’ll be receiving a set tomorrow most likely so I’ll post some impressions later in the week!

Jul 25, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #410 of 1,501
So I figured someone was going to do it eventually and it might as well be me. I plugged in my Etymotic EVO iem to see what would happen.

On the surface it looked like a decent match: 99 dB efficiency and 47 ohms impedance at 1 KHz. Unfortunately it was not a good match. Nothing bad happened, but the tonality was wonky both with and without the impedance multiplier.

Oh well. Experiment concluded.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #412 of 1,501
HE6se was not a good match. Bass was loose and the amp really runs out of steam if you like to listen loud. As in didn't really get loud.

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #413 of 1,501
Rolled in some Funkengruven e88cc's, maybe slightly smoothed out the sound.

Put in the DCA Stealth and ... wait, what? Wow, it's crushing this ... tube? FV was fine with Stealth. I posted it. I remember.

Back to the 6n1p ... yup.

If you are driving low impedance headphones, stock tubes have value. I mean, they handle the Stealth better with stock tubes, but dynamic music is still a challenge.

Jot 2 can't handle Stealth at all, I am finding.

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #414 of 1,501
Rolled in some Funkengruven e88cc's, maybe slightly smoothed out the sound.

Put in the DCA Stealth and ... wait, what? Wow, it's crushing this ... tube? FV was fine with Stealth. I posted it. I remember.

Back to the 6n1p ... yup.

If you are driving low impedance headphones, stock tubes have value. I mean, they handle the Stealth better with stock tubes, but dynamic music is still a challenge.

Jot 2 can't handle Stealth at all, I am finding.
Surprised the Jot2 can’t handle the stealth. Seems it would have plenty of power and everything else a planar likes. What are you hearing?

Jul 26, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #415 of 1,501
Surprised the Jot2 can’t handle the stealth. Seems it would have plenty of power and everything else a planar likes. What are you hearing?

You gotta go speaker amps with Stealth to make it sing unfortunately

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #417 of 1,501
How is the depth and width in term of sound quality on the FV? Does it still have weird and aggressive treble like many other Schiit amps? Tks
Not sitting in front of it at the moment but from memory, depth was good to very good and width was good but track dependent (which is fine, sometimes artificially wide sounds off depending on the recording environment). I haven't found the Schiit tube or tube hybrids to have weird treble and the FV doesn't but I freely admit my high frequency hearing caps out ~13kHz.

Jul 26, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #419 of 1,501
How is the depth and width in term of sound quality on the FV? Does it still have weird and aggressive treble like many other Schiit amps? Tks
In comparison to other Schiit amps I’ve owned, (Magni, Lyr3) it doesn’t have the slight metallic edge I get with the Magni on some headphones.

I don’t get any glare with the Lyr 3, but the Lyr 3 is a tube amp (hybrid). The FV has less solid state and more organic sounding presentation than the Lyr3, so if you’re sensitive to treble glare the FV should work pretty well for you.

Personally, I find the staging and imaging on the FV to be outstanding, but if a recording is done with nebulous or weird imaging, it doesn’t sound good on the FV.

Note that the FV is pretty picky about what headphones it works best with so that may play into your consideration as well.

ZMF VC- superb
ZMF Auteur- meh
Focal Clear - very good to excellent
Senn HD800s - Excellent to superb
Senn HD6xx- Excellent (for a $200 HP)
DCA Aeon Flow Closed - Good

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #420 of 1,501
In comparison to other Schiit amps I’ve owned, (Magni, Lyr3) it doesn’t have the slight metallic edge I get with the Magni on some headphones.

I don’t get any glare with the Lyr 3, but the Lyr 3 is a tube amp (hybrid). The FV has less solid state and more organic sounding presentation than the Lyr3, so if you’re sensitive to treble glare the FV should work pretty well for you.

Personally, I find the staging and imaging on the FV to be outstanding, but if a recording is done with nebulous or weird imaging, it doesn’t sound good on the FV.

Note that the FV is pretty picky about what headphones it works best with so that may play into your consideration as well.

ZMF VC- superb
ZMF Auteur- meh
Focal Clear - very good to excellent
Senn HD800s - Excellent to superb
Senn HD6xx- Excellent (for a $200 HP)
DCA Aeon Flow Closed - Good
I’ve a pair of hd800S so that’s great to hear. I’m really curious about this amp and the othe hp I own is the he1000v2.

Does anyone has an opinion about the fv and the v2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back