Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Nov 30, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #3,121 of 3,256
Did you sorted it out?
All vacuum tubes are inherently microphonic, some more than others. There is not a lot than you can do beyond 1) assure the glass to phenolic base interface is secure (octals), 2) assure sockets are tight, 3) isolate the chassis from outside vibrations, 4) replace the tube. Sorry, but that is the best I can do.

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #3,122 of 3,256
As long as you follow these guidelines you should be good

!WARNING!!!
The Freya Noval is rated for 2.4A of heater current. This limits the tube combinations that can be rolled in the amp. This set will not go over that current limitation. Before rolling different tubes in the amplifier consult the following chart or the tubes datasheet, add up all of the heater current for the four tubes you intend to use and see if stays within the 2.4A current limitation.

https://valvesnmore.com/?product=freya-noval-tube-packages

Freya-Noval-Tube-Heater-Compatibility.png
@qwin49
Regarding the heater current for the four tubes intend to use, stays within the 2.4A current limitation - For example on 6N23P @ 1.24A is it for Each or total for 4 tubes.
Is it aplicable for for for the Freya +? Using ECC82 to 6SN7 adaptor?

Attachments

• 6N23P.pdf
    368.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ecc82 to 6sn7.jpg
    ecc82 to 6sn7.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0
Dec 1, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #3,123 of 3,256
Using adapted noval (6n1p, 6922, 6dj8, etc) tube in freya+ which was designed for octal 6sn7 might be less optimal vs using those same Noval (9-pin) tubes in Freya N. Different operating point (plate voltage, plate load, bias current) per @Jason Stoddard below

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8220#post-17682603

A summary by @AstronomerXI here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...-rolling-thread.832177/page-167#post-17291959

Total heater current rating of 2.4A applies for both Freya+ and Freya N.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #3,124 of 3,256
I got them!

Left: 2 Raytheon Japan 6CG7
Right: 2 RCA Grey Plate 6CG7 (Non-clear top version)

Subjective initial impressions (may change with burn-in, though I didn't notice burn-in with the stock tubes) - Right off the bat, the sound is slower and more relaxed than the stock tubes. Definitely has a darker sound, with less detail exposure compared to the stock tubes. The RCAs have more sub-bass rumble and less mid-bass punch compared to stock. Bass does have more texture, which I appreciate. Stock bass was too linear for me. Female vocals, upper mids, violins, etc. are more relaxed and laid back (very smooth and musical sounding, like the stereotypical tube sound). This changed from the stock tubes' high-intensity and detail-oriented presentation of this frequency range. Male vocals sound a bit laid-back. The treble is laid back as well. It is missing a bit of air and sparkle at the top. The overall sound is very coherent ("good flow") and musical. I think this is the strength of the RCAs, just a pleasant, darker, and smooth sound, albeit slower than stock. I do get the impression that the music is lulling me to sleep with certain tracks, which could be good or bad depending on the user preference. Despite such a presentation, the soundstage, separation, and imaging qualities are excellent. It feels slightly more intimate than stock but that may be just the reduced air up top and added sub-bass presence. No sense of muddiness whatsoever.

TLDR: Darker, slower, smoother sound with fewer microdetails than stock (still more than adequate), but very pleasing and easy to listen to. Sounds like a nice cuddly blanket. It will be more forgiving of bad recordings.

Now we try it the other way around.

Left: 2 RCA Grey Plate 6CG7
Right: 2 Raytheon Japan 6CG7

The Raytheon tubes sound excellent as well. The bass has around the same sub-bass presence but is much livelier and punchier sounding compared to the RCAs. These have the best bass out of the three, for certain. Mids are closer to the stock presentation than the RCAs' presentation. They are very detailed with a touch of musicality the 6N1P's didn't have. It might or might not change with burn-in. They are well-balanced as is, though I prefer the RCA presentation for this category. Treble combines the details of the 6N1P and adds a bit of "laid-backness" from the RCAs. Similar to the mids, it is closer to the stock presentation, but just does it better than the stock in terms of listenability. Lots of air and sparkle up top, but never as harsh as the stock tubes. It is ever-so-slightly thin sounding, maybe the definition will improve over time. Soundstage, imaging, and separation qualities are closer to stock compared to the intimacy of the RCAs. It is a very fast-sounding tube that is better than the stock in every way. This thing won't put you to sleep :)

TLDR: Better "stock" tubes. Similar detail to 6N1P but removes treble and upper-mid fatigue and glare (still very revealing), adds a touch of musicality to the mids, and has the best bass out of the three tubes. These rock for EDM and techno music.

Both these tubes are great, it most likely will depend on the mood. The sheer listenability of the RCAs is captivating, but it's not like the Raytheon tubes are far behind, and you get better bass with detail closer to stock. Hard decisions...

Left: Stock
Right: RCAs

The bass is immensely improved compared to when I had the Raytheon tubes for the left side (now just slightly behind the Raytheon tubes). Detail and air have improved also, just shy of the Raytheon tubes detail-wise. It seems that the 6N1P has imparted its detail-retrieval qualities just a bit onto the RCAs. Also very good.

After many socket combinations, I have stuck with the RCAs on the left and Raytheon tubes on the right. The stock tubes were just too detailed and forward when combined with different tubes.
Update: I got 2 more Raytheon 6CG7s and slotted them in for the 2 RCAs. They have less air than the RCAs but are less thin-sounding in the treble. Definitely my favorites now.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #3,125 of 3,256
I bit the bullet and got 2 more Raytheon 6CG7s and replaced the 2 RCA tubes. Definitely the most enjoyable so far. Detailed

Update: I got 2 more Raytheon 6CG7s and slotted them in for the 2 RCAs. They have less air than the RCAs but are less thin-sounding in the treble. Definitely my favorites now.
Greetings, pull the trigger on some PCC88 from a reputable seller late 50s or early 60s. I prefer Holland Miniwatts—depth, detail, and resolution with the proper setup. Again, it is subjective, but there is a reason they command some $$$. Everyone should have a set of these. It is never fatiguing, and I can listen to them all day—or at least one of the other brands, PCC88, similar vintage.

I am waiting on some Matsushita 7DJ8-PCC88(early 60s) from the Netherlands and hoping they are as good as the reviews indicate. They are much cheaper than the Miniwatts if you can find them. I'll post my thoughts when they come in and when they have some time on them. Came across them by accident. At least, that's what I tell myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

On the 6N1P's, my POV is the EV version takes the harshness out of them, which elevates their sound to the next level. The non-military tubes were fatiguing after some time in the Freya N.
The EVs are decent and can be had cheaply. They do need some burn-in more than others. As you know, they run hot, both in temperature and sound. It's much sweeter, though, with EV.
Again, YMMV, and only my POV, but I do "listen" when time permits.
Cheers, and keep on learning!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #3,126 of 3,256
I received four Russian 6N1P with the Noval. (XII 82 (H) CCCP), (XII 82 (T) CCCP), (XIII 69. rocket), and an (H). Originally I put the two CCCP on the right with Rocket and H on the left. I gave it some time and then essentially went to the solid state gain for a year. I returned to the tube circuitry for a near field set up recently.

I now had some after market tubes to compare to. The stock foursome was sub par by comparison. I eventually started rolling combinations of the two sets and am glad I did. I found that with the CCCP on the left and the after market tubes on the right I got an enjoyable SQ level. So I tried all stock again CCCP on the left, and rocket and H on the right. Even better SQ. On par with after market tubes which have a different signature.

Call me a bigger fan of the Noval a year later, and that is with having past experience with the Freya + as a reference.

Dec 13, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #3,128 of 3,256
Any Freya+/N owners having brief static/interference noises coming thru the headphones or speakers when music is not playing and music playing? This started happening to me in the last month or so and is really annoying and trying to see what's the cause. Wasn't like this months ago just until recently and nothing has changed in my setup that I can think of.
static/interference noises coming through the speakers, I received my second Freya+ yesterday, and I tried 6 different tubes with the same issue. on passive or Jfet mode no issues.

I am not accepting this as it is my second FREYA+ purchase because of this. If Schiit considers this as normal, then I should look elsewhere. Very disapointed.

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #3,130 of 3,256
static/interference noises coming through the speakers, I received my second Freya+ yesterday, and I tried 6 different tubes with the same issue. on passive or Jfet mode no issues.

I am not accepting this as it is my second FREYA+ purchase because of this. If Schiit considers this as normal, then I should look elsewhere. Very disapointed.
Have you eliminated all possible sources of the noise? Sounds like interference of some sort and not the Freya. Could be a possible issue with your mains power? What are your components plugged into? Direct to the wall? UPS? Power-conditioning UPS? Something to check out as part of your process of elimination: https://descriptive.audio/static-from-speakers-even-when-muted/

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #3,131 of 3,256

My intermittent static noise has disappeared for many months now and have been noise free. Although I can't say with 100% confidence what actually resolved it But I did actively do some tweaks and trial and error. I changed my tube adapters to a different brand as I sometimes use 12au7 and 12at7 tubes in my Freya N. I also tried different combinations of tubes like mixing 6DJ8 with 12at7 and trying them on different sides (input and output sides).

So not too sure, it might have been a combination of what I did or perhaps it was bad tube adapters, or the tubes themselves.

If you like how the Freya+ sounds, like I do, its worth spending the extra time to figure out eliminating the noise. At the end, its worth it (to me). Best of luck.

Edit. I also moved my satellite router away from my headphone setup. That also seemed to helped.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #3,132 of 3,256

It is common for tube amps to pick up interference such as a hum or crackling, whooshing. In my setup the display monitor brings a hum. I defeated it by more physical separation and plugging them into the same outlet. I think it unlikely, possible, that it is a Freya problem due to this being the second one with the same interference.

Dec 13, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #3,133 of 3,256

https://www.schiit.com/guides/amp-problems

Try this guide?

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #3,134 of 3,256
After some tries and returns from eBay I finally got an outstanding pair of truly matched Tung-Sol 6SN7 GT, original 1951, tall glass dome black plates bottom getter. I tried them with the JJs on the left. Very similar sound profile to what I had before with my old pair, albeit a bit better. But then I decided to try the RCA 5692s on the left and oh boy, instant tridimensional + tight bass. Definitely keeping this combination for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_1787.jpeg
    IMG_1787.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #3,135 of 3,256
Only other tubes I have tried were a pair of Amperex "Bugle Boy" 6DJ8/ECC88 in the right side with stock on the left side and I didn't really care for it. I had heard that the Bugle Boys were among the best noval tubes so I was disappointed. But looking back on it, I don't think I gave them a fair shot because I didn't balance the overall heater current by using 6H6P (800 mA) or 6N6P (750 mA) in the left side so the heater current was perhaps too low to hear their potential. I have since sold them and I am happy with the quads of 6cg7 tubes so I feel no need to spend any more money on tubes.
Hi @Borat I inadvertently found myself in this exact situation recently. I usually have Bugle Boys on the right, 6N6Ps on the left, but had to move some tubes around to find a noisy one. In the process I landed on Bugle Boys right, 6N1Ps left and like you just felt like there was something missing. I tried 6CG7s on the left too and had the same blah feeling. It was only when I got the 6N6Ps back in there that the dynamics returned.

In my experience I wouldn't pair 6922s with anything but 6N6Ps unless you're intentionally going for a mellow sound. And just for fun, you can put the 6N6Ps in the input side for an intense experience, though I find it migraine-inducing after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back