Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #7,021 of 7,049
I bought the unit used on eBay, I got a really good price on it, so I wasn’t to put out by sending it in for the upgrade.I just sent it in yesterday after I got the queue email. Plus I wanted to send it in for a check up of sorts since they look and check the DAC.
I just went through a similar process with a Yggy OG A2 --> Yggy+ chassis and the process is pretty quick.

When the Gungnir (now Gumby) is returned to you there will be a full checklist of what they did, they ensure that it passes all tests, and it gets an additional 24 hour burn-in on the rack (not to mention the reactivation of warranty for 2 years!).
It'll also be shipped back in a proper Schiit box if you sent it to them in a non-Schiit box.
They should also send the original DS cards back to you, but it never hurts to request that they do as there is resale value in those even if you never plan to use them.

And again, congrats!!
:beerchug:

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #7,022 of 7,049
When i had Gumby it's rca outs weren't great- even had a buzzing sound at higher volumes, but, I was unsure if that was the Gumby or the K9 Pro's analog in (which I had never used before then).

The xlr out sounded great.
Interesting… my experience has been different. But perhaps it’s my ears aging-

When comparing my Gumby XLR-to-XLR vs RCA-to-RCA with high-quality cabling to my RSA The Apache headamp (a fully-balanced, dual-mono topology amp) with my ZMF Atrium Closed cans, the difference in audible sound quality at a moderate volume was, at most, subtle.

I did that test specifically to address statements about the Gumby RCA output being poorer quality, as I was looking at whether I should use the Gumby’s XLR output for my speaker setup vs my headamp.

As I couldn’t hear a significant difference between the two connections, I opted to use the RCA/single-ended input for the headamp, and used a fully-balanced connection for two-channel (Gumby -> Freya S -> ATC powered speakers). Sounds great in both scenarios.

That said, I have NOT tried the same test with speakers, as my powered speakers only have balanced inputs… 🤷‍♂️

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #7,023 of 7,049

When comparing my Gumby XLR-to-XLR vs RCA-to-RCA with high-quality cabling to my RSA The Apache headamp (a fully-balanced, dual-mono topology amp) with my ZMF Atrium Closed cans, the difference in audible sound quality at a moderate volume was, at most, subtle.

I did that test specifically to address statements about the Gumby RCA output being poorer quality, as I was looking at whether I should use the Gumby’s XLR output for my speaker setup vs my headamp.

As I couldn’t hear a significant difference between the two connections, I opted to use the RCA/single-ended input for the headamp, and used a fully-balanced connection for two-channel (Gumby -> Freya S -> ATC powered speakers). Sounds great in both scenarios.

That said, I have NOT tried the same test with speakers, as my powered speakers only have balanced inputs… 🤷‍♂️
I definitely didnt have good quality RCA in that test, just some Amazon ~$20 RCA. But my K9 Pro might have been the culprit. RCA into amp side only isnt a config many have probably even tried with the K9 Pro.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #7,024 of 7,049
I just went through a similar process with a Yggy OG A2 --> Yggy+ chassis and the process is pretty quick.

When the Gungnir (now Gumby) is returned to you there will be a full checklist of what they did, they ensure that it passes all tests, and it gets an additional 24 hour burn-in on the rack (not to mention the reactivation of warranty for 2 years!).
It'll also be shipped back in a proper Schiit box if you sent it to them in a non-Schiit box.
They should also send the original DS cards back to you, but it never hurts to request that they do as there is resale value in those even if you never plan to use them.

And again, congrats!!
:beerchug:
When my Gumby went in to upgrade from Gen5, they didn't send back the Gen5 - even though I asked them too in the email and inside the box both.

I did a double blind in 2016 with two RCA's (Kimber PBJ 1 m), cheap 1 ft insulated RCA; two XLR (Nordost Blue Heaven 1 m, Mogami 3173 1 ft) from Gumby A1 to Rag 1.

The Nordost and Mogami were better than either RCA by a clear margin. The Nordost seemed bass light and tipped up, the Mogami was both clear and neutral. The Mogami is still being used the others sold off and in the case of the insulated RCA - tossed.

Of course that's what I heard on that specific equipment.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #7,025 of 7,049
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #7,026 of 7,049
Gungnir alert:
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...lay-on-it-basically-opened-new-tested-then-b/

Looks like this is essentially an NOS unit. Could be a steal for someone wanting a great R2R DAC at a very reasonable price.

Note that it will need some burn-in time though. 😊
Be careful with the PayPal F&F though. Whenever I see that, it makes me pause. Usaudiomart has a warning to avoid F&F. Also there is an error where the poster put Freya + instead of Gungnir when asking questions.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #7,027 of 7,049
Be careful with the PayPal F&F though. Whenever I see that, it makes me pause. Usaudiomart has a warning to avoid F&F. Also there is an error where the poster put Freya + instead of Gungnir when asking questions.
Very good point. I would insist on PayPal G&S.

Looks like the “Freya +” reference in the text is due to the seller having a Freya + for sale as well.

That does however in no way change the importance of your point! Protect yourself when purchasing through forums and online sites.

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #7,028 of 7,049
Very good point. I would insist on PayPal G&S.

Looks like the “Freya +” reference in the text is due to the seller having a Freya + for sale as well.

That does however in no way change the importance of your point! Protect yourself when purchasing through forums and online sites.
Indeed. 3% difference for G&S is small price to pay for peace of mind

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #7,029 of 7,049
Apr 15, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #7,030 of 7,049
I have to send my 2018- vintage Gungir Multibit with 5 Gen USB back to Schiit for USB repair. Is there any other upgrade that has come out recently that I should request? Should I go for the Unison USB upgrade? Just what IS the Unison upgrade?

Thanks!
I sent the Gungir back to Schiit to get its USB working.

Step 1: They changed the USB to a working identical USB ($89)
Step 2: When I repeated my request, they upgraded my USB to Unison (adds a 2 yr warranty as well as improved performance) ($150)
Step 3: When I received my upgraded Gungir back, it did not work at all. No lights anywhere, no sound output from variety of inputs fed on known good paths. It was accompanied with a test sheet showing that it had passed a variety of tests (at least 8!)
Step 4: When I sent it back again, it came back with repair note "Replaced broken choke connector." ($0)
Step 5: When I plugged it in and reconnected it, it worked... GREAT!

Only pain was two shipping returns (they prepaid the second one) and doing without it for two months.

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #7,031 of 7,049
I decided to part ways with my TT2 and stumbled onto a pretty nice deal on a Gumby with Unison USB! I bought it immediately and am patiently waiting for it to arrive.

I have read that multibit/R2R dacs take a considerable amount of time to warm up. Is there any harm in leaving the device powered up for days at a time?
Also, does the device stay cool enough to stack an amp on top? Particularly a Jotunheim 2?
I leave mine powered on always, but I do switch it off/on each day to reset the computer inside. I doubt this has a big effect, it's just a habit now and I get really consistent performance out of the DAC. FYI, friends.

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #7,032 of 7,049
Here is Mike Moffat's post talking about leaving his stuff on all the time

Mike Moffat post 4816
Oh, you say, what about the power waste?? Even an Yggy uses about 1/3 the power of my 55” flat screen LED TV. A Bifront is about 15% of the TV. What about the carbon footprint? If you are concerned about that, take up a different hobby, say anthropology. Frolic around nude, with or without body paint, in some jungle region of the world. Commune with nature, eat grubs you find under leaves, and discover new species of millipedes crawling up your leg.
Thanks, @mystaiced.
Here is part of Mike's post. Not only can he make a helluva DAC, he sees the world almost exactly as I do. Miraculous, indeed. :)

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #7,033 of 7,049
First post, just got my Gumby used from eBay, I’m going to send it in for multibit upgrade would you all say the process is pretty easy? I really love the way it sounds excited to hear the difference In the upgrade.
Take it from somebody who went thru that upgrade, many years ago, you will be blown away. It's like switching "ON" the great sound switch. Seriously.
And too, welcome to Head-Fi. :)

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #7,034 of 7,049
Take it from somebody who went thru that upgrade, many years ago, you will be blown away. It's like switching "ON" the great sound switch. Seriously.
And too, welcome to Head-Fi. :)
I got the unit back last Friday, it sounded ok initially, it really took like 3 days of being on to open up, last night was a true wow moment. The depth opened up, the layering the bass was super tight, textured, the sound was cavernous just huge. I could hear/see the shape of the sounds in front of me, this is coming from using a bluesound node x and mojo 2. I really can feel the depth of the sound stage, it really does feel like a mini concert for yourself. Gumbi, is now fully multibit with USB Uninson and connected that way to the Node X, Node X is powered through an Sbooster.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #7,035 of 7,049
Great. I've heard the Yggdrasil and it's awesome, but when I got settled in with the Gungnir MB + Unison, I was in a good place. No longer looking for new gear, just listening to and enjoying music. IMO, that's the right path in this hobby ... get happy with the gear and then stay put and explore all the wonderful music that's waiting for you. Happy listening! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back