Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jun 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #1,081 of 7,050
It's always interesting to see what other people think. If I were you I'd compare what you think of the DAC with changestar's spreadsheet comparison and see where your thoughts align.

I don't brag or really even talk about my gear but when friends and family ask, I always invite the listen and they're usually blown away by the sound. Also with how huge/ugly the LCD-2's are, lol. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #1,082 of 7,050
Hi DAC Gurus,
  I  have a Schiit Gungnir without USB. I am trying to decide between the new Schitt USB card , M2Tech hi face 2 and Musiland 2012  03 USD  USB 3.0 Digital sound card to SPDIF device.  Please share if you have any experience with using these devices.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,083 of 7,050
Quote:
Hi DAC Gurus,
  I  have a Schiit Gungnir without USB. I am trying to decide between the new Schitt USB card , M2Tech hi face 2 and Musiland 2012  03 USD  USB 3.0 Digital sound card to SPDIF device.  Please share if you have any experience with using these devices.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Welcome to head-fi. I wish I could offer you any suggestions/thoughts, but I can't. I'm sure others will be more than happy and able to help.

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #1,084 of 7,050
I'm bout to get my Gungnir tomorrow, and just wondering... I currently run foobar2000 with WASAPI event SPDIF into my DAC via TOSLINK from my motherboard. 

... if WASAPI "event" mode is about the device "pulling" then doesn't it need to communicate with the computer? If so, how is SPDIF via TOSLINK able to handle event mode?!?!

Sorry if I seem to be asking an insanely stupid noob question. I really am not familiar with this and would like better understanding.

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #1,085 of 7,050
You can't use event mode with Gungnir so don't waste your time. Just use ASIO as it is also bitperfect.

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #1,086 of 7,050
Quote:
It's always interesting to see what other people think. If I were you I'd compare what you think of the DAC with changestar's spreadsheet comparison and see where your thoughts align.

I don't brag or really even talk about my gear but when friends and family ask, I always invite the listen and they're usually blown away by the sound. Also with how huge/ugly the LCD-2's are, lol. 

Finally had time to look at the spreadsheet, thanks for the suggestion. I would in general concur, but I don't actually try and analyze sound on such a detailed level, so agree with his really micro-focused points would be impossible for me, at least at this point. Very good guide, and I am glad that some people have, and take the time to write such detailed impressions. Very helpful, albeit very subjective one would suspect.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #1,088 of 7,050
WASAPI event seems to work for me... though it's through TOSLINK, not USB... could that be why?

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #1,089 of 7,050
Quote:
WASAPI event seems to work for me... though it's through TOSLINK, not USB... could that be why?

That must be it. I was trying USB and Jason at Schiit told me it wasn't supported with Gungnir. I didn't think he meant only via USB, but I guess that is what he must have meant. My bad, glad to hear it is working for you and others. Exits room with egg still on face, the silent crowd feels sorry for him ....

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #1,090 of 7,050
Hey guys, has anyone tried using a USB 3.0 cable with the gungnir before? Also, is there even a difference between a usb 2 and usb 3 cable?

EDIT: nvm, just realised the usb3.0 male B plug is different.

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,092 of 7,050
The benefit of the balanced DAC design is still passed through to the amplifier, however at that point your audio signal will become will be a single channel signal. My understanding is that whatever difference seems to be detected with fully balanced rigs is modest. I have heard from experienced posters that there is very little if any difference, others feel there is a difference that they can hear. Hopefully a few members who run balanced designs can chime in. I would think the effect might be in the magnitude of a biwired speakers versus single wired speakers, again here the difference if at all noticeable is minor, at least in my experience. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #1,093 of 7,050
Quote:
The benefit of the balanced DAC design is still passed through to the amplifier, however at that point your audio signal will become will be a single channel signal. My understanding is that whatever difference seems to be detected with fully balanced rigs is modest. I have heard from experienced posters that there is very little if any difference, others feel there is a difference that they can hear. Hopefully a few members who run balanced designs can chime in. I would think the effect might be in the magnitude of a biwired speakers versus single wired speakers, again here the difference if at all noticeable is minor, at least in my experience. 

You are saying the benefit of a fully balanced DAC can only be heard through a balanced amplifier

Jun 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #1,094 of 7,050
Quote:

You are saying the benefit of a fully balanced DAC can only be heard through a balanced amplifier

I believe in theory that is correct (EDIT: at least from what other more educated engineers and experienced individuals have taught me). I've only tried two balanced rigs... my own, and another from a meet (was older balanced amp from Headroom I believe... don't remember the DAC, but that was balanced too). To my ears, the biggest difference was the soundstage and imaging improvement that I heard. Of course, with most balanced amps being very well designed in the first place, the improvements to overall transparency and resolution were noticeable too.

I A/Bed my Gungnir with a friend's Lyr and my Mojo and still found the soundstage and imaging to be better when balanced... however, the difference was not huge (could be an amp difference or simply cause of the tubes in the Lyr? He was using the JJs). In the end, it's best if you can demo one @ a meet or something. Gotta let your own ears decide for your wallet. 
biggrin.gif
 Worst case scenario... you could do the Schiit 15 day return policy and try out their balanced stack (just remember you can only do that once per year 
wink.gif
)

Jun 16, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,095 of 7,050
Quote:

This could be a pretty simple A/B if you connect a Mjo/Gun stack with both balanced and single ended ICs and switched the Mjolnir between SE and balanced.  You could even enlist a friend for a blind test to see if there is a placebo free difference.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back