Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 15, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,411 of 7,050
Originally Posted by Neuromance /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is a tad late, but I use Mogami XLR cables with.  I haven't A/Bd with other cables (given they're so affordable), but they've gotten good reviews here and on Agon.  Can get them at any pro audio site (I bought from Markertek for $60 for a pair (6 ft) including shipping).  

I went this route via proaudiola and it took about a week, but I've been very happy with the end result so far.

Gear Slutz (forum for recording studioes/engineers/enthusiasts? seemed to have a lot of positive comments on proaudiola, redco, and 1 or 2 others. Proaudiola seemed to be  ahair cheaper, so I decided to just go for it.

I don't know if the raw materials from Belden/Canare are more expensive than say Mogami, but pricing on custom cables from Blue Jeans Cables was not competitive when I priced them out.

Good luck. 

May 15, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #1,413 of 7,050
  Raw materials alone are not that cheap... Figure $4 per connector plus wiring per foot plus shipping and your time.... It costs me around $30-35 to diy a pair of IC balanced or single ended pretty much same cost.

Sounds like I made the right call then. While I'm relatively handy with a soldering iron, I'm not that fast and I value my time.  I think Proaudiola and Redco sell the raw materials if you do end up wanting to DIY.

After S/H, it was ~$40 for my balanced cables and ~$30 for single-ended through proaudiola. IIRC, Redco was about 5-10% more expensive. BJC pricing was roughly 1.5x-2.5x. Monoprice was way cheaper than both, but I read a large number of reviews where people were unhappy with the XLR plugs on the Monoprice. Things like tolerance being off by enough that they had a hard time plugging/unplugging the cables. In the end, that was enough for me to pay a bit more for "name brand" wire w/ Neutrik connectors.

FWIW, I have bought products from proaudiola and BJC in the past, but have no commercial interest in either. Just trying to pass on what I learned from pricing it out.

May 15, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #1,414 of 7,050
  As far as the question about PCM vs. DSD and the iDSD, I dont have any native DSD recording, but from my experimentation with upsampling PCM to DSD etc., I 'like' the way DSD sounds with the iDSD, but PCM done 'right' sounds just as good IMO. I would get the iDSD for either PCM or DSD, but I wouldnt get it only because it does DSD. Its a better DAC than that IMO.

Thanks for the feedback.  Now I am contemplating what to sell to make room, and try one for myself ... 

May 23, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #1,415 of 7,050
Is it fine to stack either the Lyr or the Asgard 2 on top of the Gungnir? I could shift the amp to the top left side of the Gungnir to leave some of the vents uncovered. 
Thanks!

May 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #1,416 of 7,050
Yep, definitely. I've run my Lyr on top of the Gungnir and now a Mjolnir.

The Gungnir doesn't actually have any vents on top -- what looks like venting is just a cosmetic detail. Venting would prevent it from being FCC compliant.

Cheers

May 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #1,417 of 7,050
Well there ya go...it won't matter then. I've never seen the Gungnir in person, but that makes sense. I'll have one at some point next week...if you're running a powerful tower PC should there be any issue via its USB with the "buy better gear" light? Haven't had any issues with
asynchronous
 DAC's running USB thus far.

Hopefully, it'll work just fine (direct/bit perfect) with JRiver Media version 19.

May 23, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,418 of 7,050
I run the Mjolnir on top of my Gungnir too. Like Indie said, there aren't any vents on top of the Schiit DAC. 

May 23, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,419 of 7,050
I'd be very surprised if your PC turns on the buy better gear light. From what I gather, it is actually pretty rare to have equipment that lights it. I've heard an Airport Express via optical is one way but haven't tried it.

May 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,420 of 7,050
Hi all!

Great discussions over at this forum so i decided to join to ask a question.

I recently bought the Schiit Gungnir to replace an ODAC (which i thought was very good).  My initial impressions of the Gungnir was that it made everything sound 'brighter' and snappier but removed or hid some of the bass.  So much so that i thought maybe something was wrong but i guess i'm getting used to it.  

I ran into an issue and first contacted support about it but i wanted to run it by the group to see if anyone else has had this issue before i send it back for a swap or refund.

I have a Mac Mini running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) connected via USB to the Gungnir with output to a Onkyo A-9555 integrated Amp.  Everything worked fine out of the box with this connection and i was enjoying music straight away.  I left the amp with the volume low and the Gungnir on over night with music playing to give it some 'burn in' and get it warmed up.  When i came from from work later that day i turned the volume on the amp up to listen and all i heard was a loud BUZZZZ sound coming out of the speakers.  I checked the computer and paused the music but the buzzing continued.  i cycled inputs and the buzzing continued.  i unplugged the USB and plugged it back in and the buzzing continued.  I then shut the Gungnir off and turned it back on and it was back to normal playing music.  This happened the next day as well but with the amp OFF all night and no music playing.

I contacted support and they informed me of some sort of "Power Management" issue with Mavericks. As found on http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems  i googled the issue they outline and couldn't really find any documentation of it other than their own references.  It MAY be related to "app nap" feature but my computer is 'always on' with no power down or sleep mode allowed.

So i bought a powered USB 2.0 Hub and connected the Gungnir to it and everythign seemed to be working for a few days, however today i get home from work and turn on my amp and press play, i hear some music very low but i also hear that loud buzzing.  I had to turn the Gungnir off and on again to restore function.

Anyone else have or seen this issue?  Is my unit faulty and should i get a replacement or should i just get a refund? 

May 27, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #1,421 of 7,050
  Hi all!

Great discussions over at this forum so i decided to join to ask a question.

I recently bought the Schiit Gungnir to replace an ODAC (which i thought was very good).  My initial impressions of the Gungnir was that it made everything sound 'brighter' and snappier but removed or hid some of the bass.  So much so that i thought maybe something was wrong but i guess i'm getting used to it.  

I ran into an issue and first contacted support about it but i wanted to run it by the group to see if anyone else has had this issue before i send it back for a swap or refund.

App nap is program by program basis. You could check to see if, say, Itunes has App Nap enabled. (So locate Itunes app and click get info and it should be under general.)

I will say, for my playback rig I don't use Mavericks, but 
It's just been one buggy system no matter what kind of machine I've put it on.

May 27, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #1,422 of 7,050

Anyone else have or seen this issue?  Is my unit faulty and should i get a replacement or should i just get a refund? 

Well, If you are within the return/get your money back time frame, I would do that. From my experience, Schiit is not real good about honoring the warranty. I sent my broken Gungnir back and also had them add the gen 2 USB to it. They added the gen 2 USB but didnt fix the problems, and they were not forthcoming about it at all. I even asked them in an email what was wrong with it, and I got a reply that the technician would get back to me on it. Never heard from him, just got the piece in the mail - still broken (Coaxial and BNC inputs would not work), with the new gen 2 USB. No charge was requested, but I would rather have a fully functioning piece.

May 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,423 of 7,050
Thanks for the input.  I forgot to mention, i did disable app nap for itunes but it seemed not to help.  

I think i will do a replacement swap and give a new one a try.  They said i would have 15 days to audition that one so i can make sure it works right before i have to decide.

I have had no other issues at all with Mavericks.  My ODAC (USB powered) worked flawlessly at all times.  

I have had no issues with tech support or customer service so far so i cant comment on that.  They have been very helpful and quick to respond to me.

May 27, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #1,424 of 7,050
  Thanks for the input.  I forgot to mention, i did disable app nap for itunes but it seemed not to help.  

I think i will do a replacement swap and give a new one a try.  They said i would have 15 days to audition that one so i can make sure it works right before i have to decide.

I have had no other issues at all with Mavericks.  My ODAC (USB powered) worked flawlessly at all times.  

I have had no issues with tech support or customer service so far so i cant comment on that.  They have been very helpful and quick to respond to me.

It could be a faulty unit. With the quantity Schiit moves, it happens. I've had nothing but stellar experiences with Schiit. But some people are whiny little -------.

May 27, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #1,425 of 7,050
  Well, If you are within the return/get your money back time frame, I would do that. From my experience, Schiit is not real good about honoring the warranty. I sent my broken Gungnir back and also had them add the gen 2 USB to it. They added the gen 2 USB but didnt fix the problems, and they were not forthcoming about it at all. I even asked them in an email what was wrong with it, and I got a reply that the technician would get back to me on it. Never heard from him, just got the piece in the mail - still broken (Coaxial and BNC inputs would not work), with the new gen 2 USB. No charge was requested, but I would rather have a fully functioning piece.

If we didn't fix the problems, you should have contacted us--we would have fixed it under warranty, of course. However, everything is tested twice--by two different techs, using instruments and ears, before it goes out from repair, so it was certainly working when it left the building.

Did you contact us, say it wasn't fixed, and request us to fix it again?

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back