Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 8, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #7,081 of 7,161
I was unaware that the output stage could be overloaded. I’ll reach out to Schiit support and see if they have newer versions of the output stage that could be swapped in.

Keep in mind that the overloading can also be caused by the load you're trying to feed.

:beerchug:
JC

May 8, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #7,082 of 7,161
Keep in mind that the overloading can also be caused by the load you're trying to feed.

:beerchug:
JC
Just heard back from Schiit. There is unfortunately nothing they can do… I guess an RCA switch is in my future. Darn it!

May 8, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #7,083 of 7,161
Maybe it's me but does anyone dislike Unison USB? So I have two Gungnir A2s, one with Unison and one without. The one without is connected to a Schiit Eitr via BNC. I'm using same USB cables and same XLR cables, and both DACs are connected to a Freya S. I feel like when using Unison, the soundstage is a bit "in your face" whereas the soundstage is moved back with the Eitr. With Unison, it sounds a bit warmer but the upper treble is somewhat grainy. With Eitr, it's a bit less warm, but treble is much smoother. During long listening sessions, I actually prefer the Eitr more since it doesn't fatigue me as much.

May 8, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #7,084 of 7,161
Maybe it's me but does anyone dislike Unison USB? So I have two Gungnir A2s, one with Unison and one without. The one without is connected to a Schiit Eitr via BNC. I'm using same USB cables and same XLR cables, and both DACs are connected to a Freya S. I feel like when using Unison, the soundstage is a bit "in your face" whereas the soundstage is moved back with the Eitr. With Unison, it sounds a bit warmer but the upper treble is somewhat grainy. With Eitr, it's a bit less warm, but treble is much smoother. During long listening sessions, I actually prefer the Eitr more since it doesn't fatigue me as much.
I've never tried anything other than the Unison USB out, but now you've got me curious!

May 9, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #7,085 of 7,161
I've never tried anything other than the Unison USB out, but now you've got me curious!
Neither have I, except with Modi which in older models have a non-Unison USB built in so not really comparable as it’s a completely different DAC to Gungnir. On the other hand, I have noted USB cables making a difference to my ears in my system, so to me it feels logical that USB to Eitr in via BNC and USB direct in with Unison could sound different. Whatever sounds best to one’s own ears is the way to go I think.

May 9, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #7,086 of 7,161
Okay so I am comparing the Gungnir with the Bifrost 2 using the Schiit Midgard headphone amp. Source is my Mac connected to each DAC via USB. The Gungnir is outputting via RCA and the BF2 via XLR. Does it make sense that the BF2 is louder than the Gungnir due to outputting via XLR? On the Midgard I'm switching between RCA and XLR and the BF2 is noticeably louder. Is there simply more power coming from XLR compared with RCA?

May 9, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #7,087 of 7,161
Okay so I am comparing the Gungnir with the Bifrost 2 using the Schiit Midgard headphone amp. Source is my Mac connected to each DAC via USB. The Gungnir is outputting via RCA and the BF2 via XLR. Does it make sense that the BF2 is louder than the Gungnir due to outputting via XLR? On the Midgard I'm switching between RCA and XLR and the BF2 is noticeably louder. Is there simply more power coming from XLR compared with RCA?
Yeah, you got it. And the difference will even more pronounced if you use the Gungnir’s XLR (which sounds substantially better to my ears than its SE). The XLR outs on those DACS just puts out more voltage and the SE.

May 9, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #7,088 of 7,161
Yeah, you got it. And the difference will even more pronounced if you use the Gungnir’s XLR (which sounds substantially better to my ears than its SE). The XLR outs on those DACS just puts out more voltage and the SE.

Okay I figured that might be the case. Just makes it more difficult to A/B test with them being at different volumes. Right now to me they basically sound the same. But could just be more due to Schiit having a "house sound".

May 9, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #7,089 of 7,161
Okay I figured that might be the case. Just makes it more difficult to A/B test with them being at different volumes. Right now to me they basically sound the same. But could just be more due to Schiit having a "house sound".
Yeah, it does make it harder.

Switch to using the XLR from the Gumby and RCA from the Bifrost and you’ll hear a difference for sure.

May 9, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #7,090 of 7,161
Yeah, it does make it harder.

Switch to using the XLR from the Gumby and RCA from the Bifrost and you’ll hear a difference for sure.

Okay so I managed to make the switch. I will be getting longer XLR cables soon though. The Gungnir is too long to fit in where the Bifrost 2 and Midgard is. I have the Gungnir standing vertically beside my "audio stand" (for lack of a better term). Maybe the Gungnir needs to be left on for a long enough time. I guess I can hear a bit of a difference or improvement compared to the BF2.

May 9, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #7,091 of 7,161
Okay so I managed to make the switch. I will be getting longer XLR cables soon though. The Gungnir is too long to fit in where the Bifrost 2 and Midgard is. I have the Gungnir standing vertically beside my "audio stand" (for lack of a better term). Maybe the Gungnir needs to be left on for a long enough time. I guess I can hear a bit of a difference or improvement compared to the BF2.
Sounds like you need a Freya/Kara or another passive preamp, then A/B would be a little easier.

And yes, Gungnir should be given at least 24 hrs to stabilize. Gungnir did sound better after properly warmed up. But I never heard a difference with Bifrost 2/64 with leaving it on or turning off. It always sounded the same to me.

May 9, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #7,093 of 7,161
Sounds like you need a Freya/Kara or another passive preamp, then A/B would be a little easier.

And yes, Gungnir should be given at least 24 hrs to stabilize. Gungnir did sound better after properly warmed up. But I never heard a difference with Bifrost 2/64 with leaving it on or turning off. It always sounded the same to me.

Okay. Well I'll leave it on and see how it goes. I'd rather not buy a pre-amp if I don't need to.

May 11, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #7,094 of 7,161
Thanks- this is the issue!

I disconnected the one SE connection to my tube headphone amp and the SS headphone amp sounds normal again.

I was unaware that the output stage could be overloaded. I’ll reach out to Schiit support and see if they have newer versions of the output stage that could be swapped in.

Otherwise I’ll need to add a single-ended switch, I think.

While my preamp (Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE) has sufficient outputs to feed my tube headphone amp as well, it would do so at the volume-controlled level I believe. I don’t think I can set one SE output to line-level, unfortunately- though I could double-check with W4S about that.

Thanks again!
Hey Gungnir fans,

Sharing a discovery from this morning: Apparently my preamp (a Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, a wonderful piece of gear I highly recommend) represents a massive load on the Gungnir output stage when it’s in standby mode.

I have no technical knowledge, but my guess is that the preamp appears as a large load because it shorts its outputs to ground or something when in standby.

Once I turn the preamp on and mute it, my RCA outputs on the DAC function normally!

Learn something new every day… 😂

May 11, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #7,095 of 7,161
Hey Gungnir fans,

Sharing a discovery from this morning: Apparently my preamp (a Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, a wonderful piece of gear I highly recommend) represents a massive load on the Gungnir output stage when it’s in standby mode.

I have no technical knowledge, but my guess is that the preamp appears as a large load because it shorts its outputs to ground or something when in standby.

Once I turn the preamp on and mute it, my RCA outputs on the DAC function normally!

Learn something new every day… 😂
The reason for it illudes me, but apparently shorting the inputs when off/standby is a thing that some amps do. Seems somewhat counter productive to me, as it could potentially wreak havoc on the rest of the system, but there might be a good reason for it some scenario I don’t know about.

I’m pretty sure Schiit amps don’t do that though as I have my Gungnir hooked up to both a Folkvangr and a Lyr3 via RCA and it works well with either or both on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back