Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 16, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #7,111 of 7,161
Was the VCXO part of the old boards only? or part of the main circuit board? if so my gumbi was bought second from a user that had since 2016, it was the DS version. I sent mine a month ago, been using it for about a month, love the multibit sound compared to the DS, and I thought the DS sounded amazing.
im not sure about the VCXO clock. The only thing I know for sure is that schiit stopped making gungnir with VCXO clock in 2022. But if it's multibit, then it's definitely the A2 revision. And if it was made in 2016, then it might have the VCXO clock.

From Schiittalker :
Here’s how you can tell if your Gungnir is an A1 or A2:
  1. Label on the Back: The easiest way is to check the label on the back of the unit. The Gungnir Multibit (A2) will often have "Multibit" marked on it, whereas the original Gungnir (A1) won't.
  2. DAC Chips: If you’re feeling adventurous and don’t mind a little peek inside, the A1 uses AKM4399 DAC chips, while the A2 (Multibit) uses Analog Devices AD5781BRUZ DAC chips. But hey, opening up your gear might void the warranty, so proceed with caution!
  3. Sound Signature: The A2 has a more refined, analog-like sound due to the Multibit architecture. If your Gungnir has that smooth, rich, and detailed sound, you might be rocking the A2.
  4. Purchase Date: If you bought your Gungnir after mid-2015, chances are it's the A2 version, as that's when we rolled out the Multibit upgrade.

Also from
schiittalker:
" If your Gungnir was made in 2016 and upgraded to Multibit, it does not have the VCXO clock. The Multibit upgrade replaces the original Delta-Sigma architecture, including the Adapticlock system with its VCXO and VCO, with our proprietary Multibit architecture.

So, your upgraded Gungnir is rocking the Multibit magic without the VCXO clock. It's a different kind of Schiity awesomeness, focusing on precision multibit DACs and our unique digital filter."

May 16, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #7,112 of 7,161
Clear as mud unfortunately🤷‍♂️ I guess only adapticlock is the VCXO clock with VCO clock.

But my Gungnir sounds amazing, that's all I'm sure of. It steadily beats bifrost 2/64 in my system

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #7,113 of 7,161
im not sure about the VCXO clock. The only thing I know for sure is that schiit stopped making gungnir with VCXO clock in 2022. But if it's multibit, then it's definitely the A2 revision. And if it was made in 2016, then it might have the VCXO clock.

From Schiittalker :
Here’s how you can tell if your Gungnir is an A1 or A2:
  1. Label on the Back: The easiest way is to check the label on the back of the unit. The Gungnir Multibit (A2) will often have "Multibit" marked on it, whereas the original Gungnir (A1) won't.
  2. DAC Chips: If you’re feeling adventurous and don’t mind a little peek inside, the A1 uses AKM4399 DAC chips, while the A2 (Multibit) uses Analog Devices AD5781BRUZ DAC chips. But hey, opening up your gear might void the warranty, so proceed with caution!
  3. Sound Signature: The A2 has a more refined, analog-like sound due to the Multibit architecture. If your Gungnir has that smooth, rich, and detailed sound, you might be rocking the A2.
  4. Purchase Date: If you bought your Gungnir after mid-2015, chances are it's the A2 version, as that's when we rolled out the Multibit upgrade.

Also from
schiittalker:
" If your Gungnir was made in 2016 and upgraded to Multibit, it does not have the VCXO clock. The Multibit upgrade replaces the original Delta-Sigma architecture, including the Adapticlock system with its VCXO and VCO, with our proprietary Multibit architecture.

So, your upgraded Gungnir is rocking the Multibit magic without the VCXO clock. It's a different kind of Schiity awesomeness, focusing on precision multibit DACs and our unique digital filter."
Haha, I love it. Wow, it was the A1, that was what the seller told me, and it was listed in the manual too when I got the unit, wow so the multibit takes over pretty much everything, R2R on a chip so interesting I love this stuff.

May 16, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #7,114 of 7,161
When I turn on my Gungnir I get double lights. The top one flashes a few times slowly before turning off.

Attachments

• IMG_5461.JPG
    IMG_5461.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
May 16, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #7,115 of 7,161
When I turn on my Gungnir I get double lights. The top one flashes a few times slowly before turning off.
So the top light is the Buy Better Gear Light, which means it would be using the VCO clock instead of VCXO if stays lit. If it turns off then it's using VCXO clock

IMG_4015.jpeg

May 16, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #7,118 of 7,161
So the top light is the Buy Better Gear Light, which means it would be using the VCO clock instead of VCXO if stays lit. If it turns off then it's using VCXO clock

IMG_4015.jpeg

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your sentence but It seems like you contradicted yourself. You seem to say that if the light is on than it's VCXO but if it's off it's also VCXO. Unless it was a typo. The light does not stay on. It just flashes a few times and then goes off. My source is primarily my MacBook Pro M3 via USB.

May 16, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #7,119 of 7,161
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your sentence but It seems like you contradicted yourself. You seem to say that if the light is on than it's VCXO but if it's off it's also VCXO. Unless it was a typo. The light does not stay on. It just flashes a few times and then goes off. My source is primarily my MacBook Pro M3 via USB.
No I just didn't convey it right. If the light is off it's VCXO. If the light is on it's VCO

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #7,120 of 7,161
No I just didn't convey it right. If the light is off it's VCXO. If the light is on it's VCO

Is it bad in any way if the light stays on or off?

May 16, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #7,121 of 7,161
Is it bad in any way if the light stays on or off?
No, not bad. But the VCXO clock is the more desirable clock. But if the light stays on, check your source.

May 16, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #7,123 of 7,161
No, not bad. But the VCXO clock is the more desirable clock. But if the light stays on, check your source.

Perhaps a dumb question but how do I check my source?

May 16, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #7,124 of 7,161
Perhaps a dumb question but how do I check my source?
The old AirPort Express devices were said to trigger the light. Most modern gear won't trigger the light, so you won't really need to worry about it. I did have a vintage 1980's cd player that would trigger the clock repeatedly when it was paused. So I bought a better cd player, problem solved.

May 16, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #7,125 of 7,161
The information above about A1 is not correct. There was a AKM DAC version and MultiBit Analog A1. They are different products.

It was sold as Gungnir Delta Sigma (AKM) and Gungnir Multibit. The original MultiBit became known as Analog A1 as the second Gungnir MultiBit version was never officially recognized and started with serial number B. The version without the extra clock had serial numbers starting with C.

The original DS and MultiBit started with USB version 2. Then upgraded to USB v5 (and they released the Eitr separate USB to Coax adapter) then Unison USB.

I have an original MultiBit that was upgraded to Unison when released. Also have the Eitr for gen 5 USB to coax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back