Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 11, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #151,397 of 152,975
My fire pit is becoming a bed of hot coals. Music is all set, I have chosen the wine so it is time to kick back for a bit.

Tonight’s menu includes salt potatoes ( an Eastern thing I learned from a lady in Buffalo NY.)
A garden salad with homemade dressing.
And beef filet strips that have been marinating.

Basically I will add wood coals to small hibachis as well as applewood chips that have been soaking in beer.

Each person can then cook their own beef. Maybe 10-15 seconds per side (the beef then melts in the mouth).😁 The smoked flavor and seasoned marinade are magical and work well with the other dishes. My form of meat and potatoes.
Baklava for dessert and I have been known to make hot buttered rum on cool nights.

May 11, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #151,398 of 152,975
So I know that usb is the best option as a general rule with schiit dacs that have their unison usb implementation, but I am so happy with the sound of my modius e via the coax input. Better than when I was using toslink that’s for sure. I feel odd to not have even tried the modius e unison usb port, but the sound is so good over coax

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #151,399 of 152,975
So I know that usb is the best option as a general rule with schiit dacs that have their unison usb implementation, but I am so happy with the sound of my modius e via the coax input. Better than when I was using toslink that’s for sure. I feel odd to not have even tried the modius e unison usb port, but the sound is so good over coax
Contrary to the customary audio upgrade-itis that infests most forums, I wil say "if it ain't broke don't fix it." If you are enjoying the music, then nothing else matters.

May 11, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #151,400 of 152,975
Contrary to the customary audio upgrade-itis that infests most forums, I wil say "if it ain't broke don't fix it." If you are enjoying the music, then nothing else matters.
Enjoying the music is indeed the most important thing - if one does not, what is the point of all the gear?

May 11, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #151,401 of 152,975
I have heard that cartridge, a very nice choice IMHO. Friends are setting up some demos for me since I will need to outfit a couple tone arms soon.
Good to know, thanks. I wanted the ML (which was more), but out of stock and wanted NOW. LOL

May 11, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #151,402 of 152,975
My fire pit is becoming a bed of hot coals. Music is all set, I have chosen the wine so it is time to kick back for a bit.

Tonight’s menu includes salt potatoes ( an Eastern thing I learned from a lady in Buffalo NY.)
A garden salad with homemade dressing.
And beef filet strips that have been marinating.

Basically I will add wood coals to small hibachis as well as applewood chips that have been soaking in beer.

Each person can then cook their own beef. Maybe 10-15 seconds per side (the beef then melts in the mouth).😁 The smoked flavor and seasoned marinade are magical and work well with the other dishes. My form of meat and potatoes.
Baklava for dessert and I have been known to make hot buttered rum on cool nights.
Yes, but what’s the wine?

May 11, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #151,403 of 152,975
Good to know, thanks. I wanted the ML (which was more), but out of stock and wanted NOW. LOL
I am fortunate to maintain vintage gear for local friends so I do have perks, when I need them.

May 11, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #151,404 of 152,975
Yes, but what’s the wine?
Château de Beaucastel, Famille Perrin

Later on as well as fruit and cheese a Prosecco but Finnegan and I are tending to the fire so I do not recall the brands we have available. Bourbons for now are EH Taylor and Blanton’s, scotch would be Balvenie if those are needed. Or on a cold evening brandy or aged dark rum.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #151,405 of 152,975
3. Other stuff I've mentioned is slugging its way to production (Stjarna, Gungnir 2, etc.)
Put Stjarna in Google and this came out:

Noun. stjärna c. a star (celestial body) - a star (famous or talented person, (geometry) a star.

Just a wild thought / guess - it’s the geometry / topology gives this name. Five or six tubes?

May 11, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #151,406 of 152,975
.... circling back to Vali 3 with WE JW-2C51 and Focal Clear OG ....
IMG_8031.jpeg
.... what 🎼 🤪 🎶 !! Transcendant !!

May 11, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #151,407 of 152,975
May 11, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #151,408 of 152,975
Château de Beaucastel, Famille Perrin

Later on as well as fruit and cheese a Prosecco but Finnegan and I are tending to the fire so I do not recall the brands we have available. Bourbons for now are EH Taylor and Blanton’s, scotch would be Balvenie if those are needed. Or on a cold evening brandy or aged dark rum.
LOVE Beaucastel… still have some of their 1990 and 1993 Chat. Du Pape…. World class juice

May 11, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #151,410 of 152,975
^this.

Hence why I love the old RCA Shaded Dogs (Mohr era) and Mercury Living Presences (Cozart/Fine). SOME of those are recorded in places I’m auditorium familiar with (e.g. Boston Symphony hall, etc.). Similar era original Jazz (acoustic) was often recorded well in this fashion.
Huzza.
HP’s definition of “The Absolute Sound” always made sense to the engineer in me intellectually. Subjectivity can (and should) have “reference standards”. If one is disciplined, and uses such recordings carefully, you really can dial in your system and room to be “lifelike” to a remarkable degree. And, it’s way beyond simple frequency response flatness…
Yes.
SD are not well-recorded in the sense that one cannot KNOW what “real/live” actually sounded like (64 track mixes, etc.). But they are exceptionally well recorded for the “total experience”. Punchy, dynamic, warm (or not) when needed, crystal clear highs, wonderful soundscapes. Their stuff is reference for me for those reasons. Oh, and hearing Kamakiriad on my 19 speaker Lexus LS460 Mark Levinson surround system is quite the treat. (For the record: I bought the car used for only $15K with 50K miles on it just before Covid, from an 82 year old guy whose wife was taking the car away from him; poor chap. I’m not a car snob, but that kinda bargain is epic and had to be done…. Last 5 years with it have been great).
I use SD for comparisons because one can tease out differences in equipment, so its good or better/useful - just not "Absolute" (I still have some of the very early issues).
Idea! Schiit should consider mobile audio components! Especially for the (currently execrable-sounding) pure EV market: younger demographic with all their music on their device. The EVs I’ve been in have sound systems that sound like azzz (to me). Growth market?
Good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back