Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 14, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #151,726 of 153,649
Dang, I've been gone for a few days -- brother is in town and we're going to see LCD Soundsystem live this evening! -- and have missed most of the cool moto discussion and pictures. Some cool bikes y'all owned!

My first and only bike (and sixergixer namesake) is a 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600. I had done tons of research prior, I am not a daredevil, and had a wife and kids to be (well-)considered so I approached the purchase of a full on sport bike with the appropriate measure of respect and caution. This thing is a 15,000rpm screamer that will break the speed limit before shifting to 2nd, on its way to hitting 160mph+. Respect is demanded.

The fastest I ever went was 120 before the fear of unseen-but-suspected deer made me grab the brakes. I've had it on a track only once, that being a grand opening of a brand new track in Eastern Oregon that consisted of four parade laps by the motos who went out before the cars did their laps. Our laps were "paced" by a track day instructor from Portland who was riding a 1000cc version of my bike. His pace ended up being 80mph before the first corner, and seeing as how I did not know the track and wanted to see his braking and turn-in points, I wasn't going to lose him. 😈

I managed to hang on to him pretty closely during those four laps and he was very impressed. Lol

I tend to ride year-round - that is until some intoxicated a-hole decided to try wheeling it off one early frosty morning in 2022, dropping it twice and cause some mechanical and much cosmetic damage. 😡

Still considering how to repair it since sourcing replacement factory fairings has to be done from Japan with a cost equaling more than the bike is worth. 😞

FullSizeRender.jpeg

May 14, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #151,727 of 153,649
I tend to ride year-round - that is until some intoxicated a-hole decided to try wheeling it off one early frosty morning in 2022, dropping it twice and cause some mechanical and much cosmetic damage. 😡
If the a-hole was intoxicated from Oregon Spirit spirits would that make it less of a crime or more? :ksc75smile:

Sorry about the damage to your GSXer. My close friend had one and can verify the 160mph claim. I miss him - died too young.

Unfortunately, not on his R600, as he would have happily gone out in a high speed splat, but accidently killed by a hungover surgeon during a routine operating procedure.

May 14, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #151,729 of 153,649
May 14, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #151,731 of 153,649
Getting twin Vidar 2's ready to list for sale. I've been super bummed with Ebay lately. Where do you all find the best luck selling gear like twin Vidar 2's aside from Ebay? Is Audiogon best? Classified here on Headfi?

Also, PM me is anyone here wants them or one of them.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #151,732 of 153,649
Dang, I've been gone for a few days -- brother is in town and we're going to see LCD Soundsystem live this evening! -- and have missed most of the cool moto discussion and pictures. Some cool bikes y'all owned!

My first and only bike (and sixergixer namesake) is a 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600. I had done tons of research prior, I am not a daredevil, and had a wife and kids to be (well-)considered so I approached the purchase of a full on sport bike with the appropriate measure of respect and caution. This thing is a 15,000rpm screamer that will break the speed limit before shifting to 2nd, on its way to hitting 160mph+. Respect is demanded.

The fastest I ever went was 120 before the fear of unseen-but-suspected deer made me grab the brakes. I've had it on a track only once, that being a grand opening of a brand new track in Eastern Oregon that consisted of four parade laps by the motos who went out before the cars did their laps. Our laps were "paced" by a track day instructor from Portland who was riding a 1000cc version of my bike. His pace ended up being 80mph before the first corner, and seeing as how I did not know the track and wanted to see his braking and turn-in points, I wasn't going to lose him. 😈

I managed to hang on to him pretty closely during those four laps and he was very impressed. Lol

Still considering how to repair it since sourcing replacement factory fairings has to be done from Japan with a cost equaling more than the bike is worth. 😞

Wow...memories...I did this crazy stuff for 20+ years!
At VIR...GSXR 750.
Had 30+ bikes over the years, rode the first year new model GSXR 600 at Daytona..
Back part, could hold the throttle open for 45 sec or so...157 real vs 165 indicated.
Boy those were the knee draggin days!!
Alex
1715723248508.png

Me instructing at VIR..its easy as "1,2,3" !
1715723827622.png

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #151,733 of 153,649
2 toob questions:

What are the closest equivalents for the 6SN7?
What are the best performing 6SN7s / equivalents that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance,

Noob

May 14, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #151,736 of 153,649
2 toob questions:

What are the closest equivalents for the 6SN7?
What are the best performing 6SN7s / equivalents that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance,

Noob
I consider the Melz equivalent the best performing tube if you get specific versions from 1953-1963. They are rare and they fetch about $350 each.
For decent prices there are very good RCA and Sylvania still available as well as Ken-Rads and Tung Sols.
For other equivalents there are single triode versions like 7A4’s and 6J5’s. A real winner is the CBS/Hytron 5692 etc.

May 14, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #151,737 of 153,649
If the a-hole was intoxicated from Oregon Spirit spirits would that make it less of a crime or more? :ksc75smile:

Sorry about the damage to your GSXer. My close friend had one and can verify the 160mph claim. I miss him - died too young.

Unfortunately, not on his R600, as he would have happily gone out in a high speed splat, but accidently killed by a hungover surgeon during a routine operating procedure.
Dang, that's rough.

May 14, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #151,738 of 153,649
I consider the Melz equivalent the best performing tube if you get specific versions from 1953-1963. They are rare and they fetch about $350 each.
For decent prices there are very good RCA and Sylvania still available as well as Ken-Rads and Tung Sols.
For other equivalents there are single triode versions like 7A4’s and 6J5’s. A real winner is the CBS/Hytron 5692 etc.

They all cost an arm and leg unfortunately. I've been enjoying the RCA Red Base 5692s though for preamp purposes

May 14, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #151,739 of 153,649
Getting twin Vidar 2's ready to list for sale. I've been super bummed with Ebay lately. Where do you all find the best luck selling gear like twin Vidar 2's aside from Ebay? Is Audiogon best? Classified here on Headfi?

Also, PM me is anyone here wants them or one of them.
Classifieds here and usaudiomart. Both are free to list. Haven't used Audiogon myself in a very long time.

May 14, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #151,740 of 153,649
They all cost an arm and leg unfortunately. I've been enjoying the RCA Red Base 5692s though for preamp purposes
It's been a while but I remember liking the Sylvania 6SN7GTA tubes from the 50s. I believe they can still he had for ~$50 each testing NOS. There are a lot of them that were rebranded but still sounded great to me. Some say "Delco" on the base. I believe they all have the stop sign logo on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back