Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 21, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #152,611 of 153,954
From discogs, does any of this make any difference?
FWIW, there are several differences between the various releases of the album. For example, on the song Brown Sugar, the 44/16 version on Qobuz has the guitar hard panned to the right and Billy Gibbons' voice hard panned to the left. The 192/24 version on Qobuz has the guitar and vocals reversed. My CD version, which comes from "The ZZ Top Six Pack" set and has their 1st six albums, does away with the hard-panned vocals and guitar. The comments at the bottom of the Discogs page linked in your post suggest that the CDs in "The Complete Studio Albums" are true to the original but I don't know for sure.

As to your question of "does any of this make any difference?" I suspect it comes down to personal preferences. I like all of the versions, but my preference is the remastered version that does away with the hard panned vocals/guitar. Several reviews on Discogs suggest that the mix on the "Six Pack" collection are the worst sounding of all so it makes sense that it's my preferred version lol

May 21, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #152,612 of 153,954
I work with standard hardwoods as well as exotic woods. My next project is building two stands for Tyrs with tiger maple trim. Red Oak is not expensive compared to most other woods I use. IMG_7131.jpegIMG_7282.jpeg
🤪 I can do shims in most any wood, there are thin strips of ebony, maple and bloodwood in the first two photos. What might be nice is a “+” shape that extended out far enough to insulate all cable ends. If you want my help it is gratis. A bit of double sided tape to hold the + in place.
Those are gorgeous. What is that deep brown wood in center wide strip of the board on the right? Walnut? Love that. So “warm”.

So just shared all the dialogs with Wifey. It’s official, Gerri thinks all ya’ll (and me) are crazy. She’s blown away that I re-connected with an old listening buddy from literally the late 1980’s. And that we care about weird Schiit like cardboard, or wood types, or wires…

But, this evening, I played Jazz at the Pawnshop for her on Qobuz (hi-rez) via this very iPad, into Yggy, and the system… and she was blown away.

She’s like, “but, why would you listen to stuff you already have?”

I said: “well, I could sell all my LPs and then we could just use this”…

Gerri: “that would be stupid, just use it for new music”

PS: Yggy changes everything (for me). Digital is finally actually really musical in MY reference system.

<for the win>

May 21, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #152,613 of 153,954
Yeah I was always a Pass guy but my Stasis 3 was best w dynamics and the X Series from Pass came too late for the Duetta, and the Aleph's just could not crank the bass. I did enjoy the Classe CA-400 with the Maggie 3.3R however. But my best system was w/ the Verity Parsifal Encore and Pass X-150.
Can’t resist (I blame @sixergixer and his devilish bourbon), but…

Classe’ w/o David Reich is…

Class B…

Jes’ sayin.

I would KILL for a pair of DR3’s for my Duetta’s…

May 21, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #152,614 of 153,954
Those are gorgeous. What is that deep brown wood in center wide strip of the board on the right? Walnut? Love that. So “warm”.

So just shared all the dialogs with Wifey. It’s official, Gerri thinks all ya’ll (and me) are crazy. She’s blown away that I re-connected with an old listening buddy from literally the late 1980’s. And that we care about weird Schiit like cardboard, or wood types, or wires…

But, this evening, I played Jazz at the Pawnshop for her on Qobuz (hi-rez) via this very iPad, into Yggy, and the system… and she was blown away.

PS: Yggy changes everything (for me). Digital is finally actually really musical in MY reference system.

<for the win>
That center is Indian Rosewood. I used six wood types in that piece including white limba, hackberry, and wenge.

May 21, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #152,615 of 153,954

<for the win>
Great to hear! I read the funnier stuff aloud to my wife, and we laugh and laugh. Mostly because there’s a lot of both of us in this crazy crowd. And she’s quite fond of my Christmas present to myself (Yggy). So cheers! Glad Bismark (and the two of you) are here. Oh, and Yggys, too,

May 21, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #152,616 of 153,954

<for the win>
I am constantly telling my wife things that Cowen and Jonathan and Ripper say and she loves it. I am constantly impressed by the number of people with engineering, software, and recording backgrounds who share knowledge. As far as gear, specific music, and SQ, my wife will listen but she rarely pays attention. She also never cares what gear I buy since I can pay for it with multiple projects. Oh and I enjoy knowledge about bourbons, literature, new music as well. I was taught at an early age to never stop learning so I continue to this day.😁

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #152,617 of 153,954
<snip>

<for the win>

I'm in the same boat, grabbed a Yggy OG used a few months ago and signed back up to Qobuz after previously leaving it feeling indifferent. Yggy changes everything back to music.

Worse yet, the yggy was so much better than my previous dac that I started thinking about rolling tubes on my Cary slp-05. Now don't panic people, but I was still on my stock EH 6sn7 from 11 years ago. So 30 hours into my first quad and enjoying getting slapped around by Alain Caron. That is a fun fusion, gonna look at his other stuff for some wicked bass groovin. Good recommendation!

May 22, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #152,618 of 153,954
Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #152,619 of 153,954
That center is Indian Rosewood. I used six wood types in that piece including white limba, hackberry, and wenge.
Wait. Hackberry has value? I’ve spent a seeming lifetime yanking them out of our yard and burning them in the fire pit when it’s stacked and seasoned.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #152,620 of 153,954
I'm in the same boat, grabbed a Yggy OG used a few months ago and signed back up to Qobuz after previously leaving it feeling indifferent. Yggy changes everything back to music.

Worse yet, the yggy was so much better than my previous dac that I started thinking about rolling tubes on my Cary slp-05. Now don't panic people, but I was still on my stock EH 6sn7 from 11 years ago. So 30 hours into my first quad and enjoying getting slapped around by Alain Caron. That is a fun fusion, gonna look at his other stuff for some wicked bass groovin. Good recommendation!
Yggy Gang Gang!

May 22, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #152,622 of 153,954
Custom isn't necessary. 1/4" stereo to RCA cables are used in pro audio and easy to find.

Or use adapters. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T8QKR4/
718GJS-DRnL._AC_SL300_.jpg

1716370555751.png

May 22, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #152,623 of 153,954
Interesting story:

I was sent a Schiit Vali 3 for review and testing. When I take photos I usually take the units cover off
to take internal shots...ans just because I like to see the internals...that old electrical engineering part of me.

Well usually its a few screws and pull off the volume knob ans your in...well maybe a few more screws on the rear plate for the rcas etc..
Well the Vali 3's volume knob did not want to come off...it took a lot of pressure and I was worried I would destroy the pot.
Think someone super glued this one on!!
Well...I kept at it ans bam! It final came off but I tore the vol pot apart!!
Nice now we have a dead unit...great.
Well...upon closer inspection I notice the small Alps pots have 4 small tabs that are folded that keep the rotating structure inside the unit.
Well I cleaned the internals and the pot surface and wiper...carefully put it back inside and rebent the 4 tabs...tested it ans voila as good as new!

Amazing...now for those smaller pots that I find at times to be scratchy and we try to spray in contact cleaner or deoxit..well I will unfold those 4 tabs, remove and really clean well!!

Ha! Good ending to a potential bad situation!
I have replaced these small pots before, on my Piety for sure...I actually destroy the pot enclosure so only the pins are still soldered in the pcb. Then I use a good solder removal tool and remove each of the pins individually....clean out the holes and install a new pot. Well now I will try the remove and clean and lubricate in the future...

Alex

1715819148880.png
...I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one who wants to dig into my collection of brushed aluminum boxes and do some repairs. Yes. Yes. I know. "No user serviceable parts within this unit". iFixIt for the win... Time to heat up my soldering iron! :ksc75smile:

May 22, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #152,624 of 153,954
FWIW, there are several differences between the various releases of the album. For example, on the song Brown Sugar, the 44/16 version on Qobuz has the guitar hard panned to the right and Billy Gibbons' voice hard panned to the left. The 192/24 version on Qobuz has the guitar and vocals reversed. My CD version, which comes from "The ZZ Top Six Pack" set and has their 1st six albums, does away with the hard-panned vocals and guitar. The comments at the bottom of the Discogs page linked in your post suggest that the CDs in "The Complete Studio Albums" are true to the original but I don't know for sure.

As to your question of "does any of this make any difference?" I suspect it comes down to personal preferences. I like all of the versions, but my preference is the remastered version that does away with the hard panned vocals/guitar. Several reviews on Discogs suggest that the mix on the "Six Pack" collection are the worst sounding of all so it makes sense that it's my preferred version lol

The Six Pack release, with the exception of the live selections from Fandango, was remixed with new drums and guitar effects to make the original releases sound more contemporary at the time (late 80's). That was the first release of the first six albums I owned as well, and later was confused as to why it sounded so different/bad compared to the individual CD/vinyl releases my friends had.

As I understand it, The Complete Studio Albums contains the original mixes, but I can't confirm that at the moment. I later bought each individual release to get the original mixes. I do know that the Chrome, Smoke and BBQ set contains the original mixes. The differences between the two mixes are pretty obvious though, so it shouldn't be difficult to tell them apart. I don't know about the left/right panning differences you mention though.

It reminds me of the remix of Alan Parson's Project Tales of Mystery and Imagination, which also had drum and guitar parts added. In both cases (Parsons and ZZTop), I suppose the new remixes can make things fun and interesting again, but the originals are what I always return to and except as standard that doesn't need improvement. Using different original takes in a new remix can be great as in Steven Wilson's work, but adding more contemporary touches with newly recorded parts doesn't usually jibe with me.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #152,625 of 153,954
This will be the last Jazz/Fusion recommendation for a bit as I've been on a bit of a Fusion streak. Time to give other subgenres some lovin'.

Steve Smith and Vital Information has been a fav in my Fusion rotation. Steve is a very accomplished Jazz drummer that typically showcases his talents in the form of longer solos, which can be great or not so great depending on how you feel about drums. This particular live album has a good balance of drumming as a part of the music as opposed to the centerpiece of the music (except for one track, anyway). Anyhow -- I think it is a good album w/ lots of energy and a top-tier representation of crossover/fusion, IMHO. Enjoy!

Today's Jazz recommendation is...

JazzReco-6.jpg

I'll check it out, having also been on a bit of a fusion spree. Billy Cobham has been getting lots of headphone-time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back