Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 8, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #197 of 153,205
Love these guys, should be an interesting read. Subscribed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #199 of 153,205
I love reading Schiit's backstory. It makes me feel like a true Schiithead. 
wink.gif

You know you've done something right when people are willing to call themselves that.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #201 of 153,205
  I love reading Schiit's backstory. It makes me feel like a true Schiithead. 
wink.gif

You know you've done something right when people are willing to call themselves that.

Perhaps Jason should start selling T-shirts with "Yeah, I'm a Schiithead" on the front, and "Schiit Audio...Makers of Schiit and Glorious Sound" on the back  - or something on that line.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #202 of 153,205

Perhaps Jason should start selling T-shirts with "Yeah, I'm a Schiithead" on the front, and "Schiit Audio...Makers of Schiit and Glorious Sound" on the back  - or something on that line.

That would make a great T-shirt.  White lettering on a Black T!!!!

I can also see hip types wearing a 5-panel

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #203 of 153,205
Those are just... amazing.

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #206 of 153,205
I sure hope that some of you realize that this is marketing GENIUS we're witness to…

And it's genuine, no artificial additives of any kind, with an organic growth curve and a natural expansive outreach.

All in the comfort of our own homes as we pursue our hobby of choice.

Does it get ANY better than this?  
atsmile.gif

I salute you sir, this is marvelous. :thumb

JJ

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #207 of 153,205
Schiit,

This is absolutely great news. Many books have been written on the success of software startup like Facebook, Twitter, Apple etc. But nothing I can find on works on audiophile startup/established companies.  Innovation on the audiophile industry have been great but yet there is not much info on those side of the companies. By sharing their success stories and challenges, we can learn from their experiences and who knows we might be the next "Schiit". I always fascinate by how these dedicated engineers build great products in these competitive market. Most audiophile product is like labour of love that undergoes years of development and testing before coming to fruition.  It is about countless hours of trial and error,  experiment, experiment and more experiment. And no they don't have resources like Apple, Microsoft. And best of all, Some of these great audiophile products are really produced from small companies like Schiit, Graham Slee, grado etc. There is only so much insight we can gain through interview of those working in the company but a book will bring in more connection and understanding.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #208 of 153,205

My rationale for starting a marketing company was something like this:

1. Hey, I did this for Sumo and Theta and my own company, so I have some experience.
2. It’s not a manufacturing company, where you have inventory, overhead, labor, distribution, etc—it’s a lot easier to get started.
3. The products usually don’t ever catch anything on fire.

In retrospect, not the best reasoning. But hey, I was 28. Leaving a VP of Engineering job to start a business in a field I knew nothing about seemed perfectly sensible at the time. So, as audio went into exponential price expansion, I jumped ship and started Centric in January of 1994.

Thanks for starting this Jason. I run a very young, ambitious marketing firm and I can absolutely relate. I bought my brother a piece of Schiit for Christmas and I'm a big fan of the work you do. It'll be a pleasure to meet up with you in person someday. 

Look forward to the next few posts! 

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #210 of 153,205
One thing I left out of the above chapter was this: I don't think there are any companies in audio doing a great job in marketing right now. Not the big guys, not the small guys, not Schiit. By the metrics of companies that really live and die by marketing (think Coke, Nike, etc), we're all amateurs. And that's fine. Because creating the 14th in a series of multi-media cross-promotions that's coupled to the year's hot movie with an insurance-backed contest centered around social sharing with user experience metrics is a great way to lose your soul.

Stay small, stay human.

Loving the read and in hearty agreement with you on your points, but Beats is doing a pretty great job in marketing. And though I don't like them, I thank them for widening the headphone market, a feat which eventually affects people like me, companies like Hifiman and Audeze, and yes, even Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back