Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 9, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #147,196 of 153,929
More on the Telefunken G-73R: IMG_7770.jpegPerfect for Vali 3 !!!

I'd be willing to bet that the transfer function is more linear than most. It sounds like a great tube for audio purposes.

:beerchug:
JC

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #147,198 of 153,929
There are only three BMWs that ever looked good. Yes, ever. Not just recently, but since they started making cars.
The E38 pre-facelift, the Z8, and the current 8 series coupe.
And yes, I am standing by this opinion. I would even go so far and say that the E38 is the second-most beautiful sedan/saloon ever made, second only to the Jaguar XJ (X350) / Daimler Super Eight. None of the bloat that plagues today's cars, perfectly elegant and understated lines, ideal proportions from pretty much all angles, and fantastic tourers with serious sleeper potential.
Fight me. ;p

Edit:
I forgot about the current 8 series coupe.
I’m surprised you obviously forgot two cars :D, the iconic 507
1712702314955.jpeg

The M1
1712702433329.jpeg

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #147,199 of 153,929
Maybe it's just because I'm old...

1712703619068.png

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #147,200 of 153,929
Gettin' Liggy Wit It.

Wild and occasionally violent in that boisterous 80s and 90s contemporary classical way and performed flawlessly as only an ensemble formed by Pierre Boulez could do it. This isn't even a recommendation per se, as I cannot imagine too many people liking this manner of classical, but the performances, the recording, and especially the solo violin on this later career Violin Concerto are truly stunning. Sometimes ya gotta get bold!
Not sure I like it, but I LIKE it! Kind of like taking Bartok to an entirely new dimension. Best played loud, but not too loud...

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #147,201 of 153,929
I’m getting a better sense of where tubes work in the kind of music I listen to. (A lot actually, but here are some specifics)

I’m currently listening to “Gloryland” by Anonymous 4 (women’s choral of early and religious music). Sounds great on the Mjolnir 3. On the Vali 2++ it loses detail but gains a lush warmth that really makes me feel I am in the room with the singers.

Yesterday I was listening to a collection of Nat King Cole recordings, again through the Vali 2++. Nothing screamed “TUBES!!!” But nevertheless it just sounded soothing and comfortable.

I’ve listened to Tom Wait’s later stuff on speakers through the Freya+ and here tubes are the wrong approach. Maybe it’s because he already puts a lot of distortion into his recordings that the added distortion of the tubes just becomes grating. Also Jim Hall’s guitar, particularly with Pat Metheny, gets so “ringy” that tubes just turn the sound to mush. Some voices, like Frazey Ford’s from The Be Good Tanyas is a bit too garbled for tubes and really is helped by the greater detail of solid state.

But a lot of my focused listening (as opposed to background music) is more enjoyable when it is through tubes. I find tubes work better for cleanly recorded vocals and acoustic instruments. I think a lot of early blues recordings might be better on solid state. I guess tubes might work for rock. I’ll have to try the Electric Prunes soon.

Anyway those are my thoughts at the moment. I’m curious what other people feel works best on tubes vs. solid state.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #147,202 of 153,929
And tonights Jazz recommendation is...

1000005333.jpg

Got caught-uo in the UConn / Perdue game and failed to post yesterday.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #147,203 of 153,929
Would there were an attachment for the Canon® EOS® Series that would block out the sun proper so I can photogram the corona. Astronomers use such devices to study the chromosphere and corona in real time, using an equatorial telescope mount.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #147,204 of 153,929
I’m getting a better sense of where tubes work in the kind of music I listen to. (A lot actually, but here are some specifics)

I’m currently listening to “Gloryland” by Anonymous 4 (women’s choral of early and religious music). Sounds great on the Mjolnir 3. On the Vali 2++ it loses detail but gains a lush warmth that really makes me feel I am in the room with the singers.

Yesterday I was listening to a collection of Nat King Cole recordings, again through the Vali 2++. Nothing screamed “TUBES!!!” But nevertheless it just sounded soothing and comfortable.

I’ve listened to Tom Wait’s later stuff on speakers through the Freya+ and here tubes are the wrong approach. Maybe it’s because he already puts a lot of distortion into his recordings that the added distortion of the tubes just becomes grating. Also Jim Hall’s guitar, particularly with Pat Metheny, gets so “ringy” that tubes just turn the sound to mush. Some voices, like Frazey Ford’s from The Be Good Tanyas is a bit too garbled for tubes and really is helped by the greater detail of solid state.

But a lot of my focused listening (as opposed to background music) is more enjoyable when it is through tubes. I find tubes work better for cleanly recorded vocals and acoustic instruments. I think a lot of early blues recordings might be better on solid state. I guess tubes might work for rock. I’ll have to try the Electric Prunes soon.

Anyway those are my thoughts at the moment. I’m curious what other people feel works best on tubes vs. solid state.
I do most of my listening using tube gear somewhere in the chain. If I find a tube combo lacking, I am fortunate enough to have a varied collection that allows me to roll and find a more synergistic tube pairing.

Nothing wrong with mixing in SS as one feels is needed. Different horses for different courses, as they say. 😉

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #147,205 of 153,929
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #147,206 of 153,929
You did kinda lob it up there. 😁

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #147,207 of 153,929
And tonights Jazz recommendation is...

1000005333.jpg

Got caught-uo in the UConn / Perdue game and failed to post yesterday.
Listening right now. Once again, you've nailed it. When you recommend, I listen!

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #147,208 of 153,929
There are only three BMWs that ever looked good. Yes, ever. Not just recently, but since they started making cars.
The E38 pre-facelift, the Z8, and the current 8 series coupe.
And yes, I am standing by this opinion. I would even go so far and say that the E38 is the second-most beautiful sedan/saloon ever made, second only to the Jaguar XJ (X350) / Daimler Super Eight. None of the bloat that plagues today's cars, perfectly elegant and understated lines, ideal proportions from pretty much all angles, and fantastic tourers with serious sleeper potential.
Fight me. ;p

Edit:
I forgot about the current 8 series coupe.
No love for the 507???

1712709574103.png

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #147,209 of 153,929
Scroll up. 🤣

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #147,210 of 153,929
Would there were an attachment for the Canon® EOS® Series that would block out the sun proper so I can photogram the corona. Astronomers use such devices to study the chromosphere and corona in real time, using an equatorial telescope mount.

Nope. It’s impossible for a number of reasons. First and foremost is that the atmosphere is extremely well-lit when the Sun is up, and the bright light is scattered very broadly across the full visible light spectrum. Unless there is a large object outside the atmosphere blocking the Suns’ light, there is absolutely no way to see the corona from earth for non-scientists, except during a solar eclipse. The corona just gets lost in the wash of light in the atmosphere.

Scientists can observe it from Earth via special equipment needed to filter out most of the visible light spectrum except for extremely narrow bands, “…the red line Fe X (634.7nm -- ten times ionized iron line) and the green line Fe XIV (530.3 nm -- 14 times ionized iron line), and occasionally in the high energy yellow line Ca XV (569.4 nm -- 15 times ionized Calcium line)”. These filters are expensive and generally not feasible for consumer manufacturing.

They’d be brutally expensive (many zeros) for you and me, plus the cost of needed associated equipment. I expect the market for something like this would be very tiny. Diner-booth tiny.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back