Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 27, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #149,446 of 151,214
Which surfactant are you using? I had started researching them and it seems like quite the rabbit hole with opinions on what work best.
I will have to look it up later, I have a bad cold or a mild case of Covid so I will not be in my shop today

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #149,447 of 151,214
Agreed! Gotta go all in (as in big tank) to ensure aquarium success, and an empty tank is at most risk - so it's kinda a tricky hobby.

Had a mid-light strength planted 135 gallon years ago, then slowed down to cichlids, and enjoyed both. Go look at the Amano books for gorgeous planted tanks. But the 135 didn't make the move to a house with all hardwoods....I would occasionally stop paying attention during a water change..hahahaha. Oopsie!

Growing up as a kid I had no interest in fish - can't play fetch with a fish! But life is so complicated as an adult these days - I need a relaxing hobby. .

But now I have my Schiit.
I was partial to Amazonian setups: Discus, Cardinals, etc… for a few years I bred Discus, and Kribensis (yeah, not Amazonian but an interesting Cichlid… I have had the Amano book for decades now; great ideas to aspire to! Always soft water/acidic setups (mostly because that’s the water I’ve had)

Seeing your setup (it is really very well done from what I can tell in that pic!) is dangerously re-kindling my interest. Heck, I’ve got literally everything I would need *except* for the tank and where to put it/what to put it ON.

We’ve spots for smaller setups, but I find anything under around 50 gallons just too high maintenance. But, the interest IS re-kindling… LOL. At the end I did have a setup where I could run an auto-hose for water changes, etc. But, that last setup was in the finished basement rec room. My basement here is far from finished.

Just what I need. The return to another of my former and not necessarily cheap hobbies… LOL

Thanks a lot for re-kindling a former addiction…

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #149,448 of 151,214
Apr 27, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #149,449 of 151,214
That looks really pretty. I admire folks who can keep aquariums crystal clear like that. I have tried a few times over the years, but was never able to get it just right. That's a lot of work, time, and attention. Though it looks great when done right.
In actuality, it’s NOT a lot of work if:
1. You get a BIG tank (gives one HUGE margins for error)
2. You do NOT put too many fish in it
3. You have an excellent external filter system
4. You plant a LOT of live plants, and give them GOOD light (bonus points for a CO2 bubbler system)
5. You never, EVER, even THINK about over-feeding (this is where 99.9% of people fail)
6. You pick fish that in nature prefer the same water conditions you get from your tap (IF you are not on city water with Chlorine, if you are the work effort does go up a bit), but it’s best to pick, say fish that prefer acidic water if your normal water is acidic. If you have hard water, for example, don’t get fish from, say, the Amazon basin

If you do those steps, it’s literally maybe 20-30 minutes a week work/maintenance.

And yes, planted tanks with natural color gravel, rock work and/or wood stump-like features can be drop dead gorgeous - as in this example!

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #149,450 of 151,214
I will have to look it up later, I have a bad cold or a mild case of Covid so I will not be in my shop today
Sorry to hear that you are not well. Some strong, hot tea with a touch of lemon, honey, and a good shot of tasty bourbon; drunk quickly, followed by a trip to bed and a nap; does wonders.

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #149,451 of 151,214
Here is my first pass with the Vali 3 and the tubes Tom borrowed to me for testing.
Best on the left to the least to my ears on the right...
Done with HE1000 Se's and ZMG Verite Closed Back.

Will try again later with D8000 Pros.

Fun!!
Alex

(Thanks Tom for the loan!!)

1714238705378.png

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #149,452 of 151,214
Here is my first pass with the Vali 3 and the tubes Tom borrowed to me for testing.

Fun!!
Alex

Keep the RFT and Brimar, I have several. Throw the RCA away since it is microphonic.

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #149,453 of 151,214
Apr 27, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #149,454 of 151,214
Sorry to hear that you are not well. Some strong, hot tea with a touch of lemon, honey, and a good shot of tasty bourbon; drunk quickly, followed by a trip to bed and a nap; does wonders.
Not Covid anyway, yeah I am laying around a lot right now. Finnegan usually lays on my chest and nuzzles my hand till I pet him. I sent a video to your email, I am not sure it will work.

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #149,455 of 151,214
Apr 27, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #149,456 of 151,214

Fun!!
Alex

1714238705378.png
Those CIFTE's are interesting tubes. IME, they've sounded glorious in some components and, well, kind of not exactly in others. Guess I'll have to whip one of mine out and give it a try in Vali 3 once my adapter arrives. Probably after the Footscray though. :laughing:

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #149,457 of 151,214
Those CIFTE's are interesting tubes. IME, they've sounded glorious in some components and, well, kind of not exactly in others. Guess I'll have to whip one of mine out and give it a try in Vali 3 once my adapter arrives. Probably after the Footscray though. :laughing:
If you do not like them, send em my way.🤪 They are amazing in the PrimaLuna

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #149,458 of 151,214
Hope you get back on your feet quickly. I'm just now starting to feel human again after one of the worst colds I've had in many, many years. And it's not that it made me feel extremely horrible, just that it's taken forever to get over it. Not Covid, fortunately....maybe I'm just allergic to Oklahoma. 🤣

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #149,459 of 151,214
Not Covid anyway, yeah I am laying around a lot right now. Finnegan usually lays on my chest and nuzzles my hand till I pet him. I sent a video to your email, I am not sure it will work.
Thank you---it came through fine, It looks like Finnegan is a lover, not a hunter!

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #149,460 of 151,214
If you do not like them, send em my way.🤪 They are amazing in the PrimaLuna
Which version do you want? Solid plate, round hole plate, or oblong hole plate? 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back