Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 27, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #149,536 of 151,364
I was partial to Amazonian setups: Discus, Cardinals, etc… for a few years I bred Discus, and Kribensis (yeah, not Amazonian but an interesting Cichlid… I have had the Amano book for decades now; great ideas to aspire to! Always soft water/acidic setups (mostly because that’s the water I’ve had)

Seeing your setup (it is really very well done from what I can tell in that pic!) is dangerously re-kindling my interest. Heck, I’ve got literally everything I would need *except* for the tank and where to put it/what to put it ON.

We’ve spots for smaller setups, but I find anything under around 50 gallons just too high maintenance. But, the interest IS re-kindling… LOL. At the end I did have a setup where I could run an auto-hose for water changes, etc. But, that last setup was in the finished basement rec room. My basement here is far from finished.

Just what I need. The return to another of my former and not necessarily cheap hobbies… LOL

Thanks a lot for re-kindling a former addiction…
You're welcome! The Python makes a massive difference for water changes.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #149,537 of 151,364
a couple of the screws stripped shot of full (though they are 4” screws. For good measure dabs of industrial adhesive glue too. Im going back tomorrow to drill better pilot holes in situ and put more screws all the way in. This was built in place whilst overhead in an 8 1/2 foot deep basement. I hung from each assembly to test before putting the gear up (I weigh 155#)

Just looks like Sheit… but, you should see the rest of the basement… lol
T-25 torx heads don’t cam-out / strip like the philips heads do. Can break in half if too aggressive on the Impact’s trigger though

That setup must sound wonderful. Esp after yggy A1 settles in

Perhaps a single 18” ASC bass trap stack for that rear corner?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #149,538 of 151,364
Apr 27, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #149,539 of 151,364
T-25 torx heads don’t cam-out / strip like the philips heads do.

That setup must sound wonderful. Esp after yggy A1 settles in

Perhaps a single 18” ASC bass trap for that rear corner?
Awesome setup too with all the components hidden away in the basement.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #149,541 of 151,364
Stopped by the schittr today to pick up an order. As an LA schitizen, man I’m gonna miss this place.
I really agree with you on that one. I know Jason said the plan was to close it, but I’d love it if they can keep it going, if not in Newhall, maybe somewhere closer to Pasadena (a selfish suggestion as that would be convenient to me). It says something about the product if you can say “come in. Listen. And then decide.” I think it was a brilliant move on Jason’s part to have the Schiitr. The products are great and sell themselves. And having a space where people can come and experience them offers a confidence in the products that most other direct to consumer companies can’t manage.

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #149,542 of 151,364
Let's all take a moment to appreciate this man's expertise. My goodness and Bravo, Sir.
I love all the various shades of expertise present in this forum. So many varied hobbies and careers and pastimes. It's fun!

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #149,543 of 151,364
If there’s a song unavailable - I can see if I can swap with another release that might be available. Let me know which ones are greyed out!
Here you go. This is for Qobuz in the US.
Heavy Fuel Dire Straits
Sailing to Philadelphia Mark Knopfler
Hoover Dam Sugar
Water Falls Sara K
Private Investigations Dire Straits

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #149,544 of 151,364
What’s your view on a IOS device streaming to a Unison port?
Don't know, never used an iOS device that way. Unison is very good, so unless you are hearing something you don't like, go for it.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #149,545 of 151,364
You big city guys have no idea what I have to put up with, I have to haul the water from a stream in wooden buckets .....
..... I have to work smart (two alien concepts to you):
IMG_7946.jpeg
[and I whistle while so doing!]

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #149,546 of 151,364
I generally agree with what you're saying except for the above. Many (really, most?) audio transports over IP don't use TCP because of latency issues, UDP ftw!
No retransmission of UDP packages [sic] (I think you meant packets).
Roon RAAT uses TCP.
Now, iirc, @earnmyturns found that upgrading the network switch did make a difference but not to one of the audiophile ones.
Small but consistent audible improvement from Netgear GS105 to Cisco WS-C2960C-8PC-L as the switches upstream from my Linn Klimax streamers. I was very skeptical, but I could not deny what I heard, and even more when my wife who did not know what we were trying out noticed the difference without prompting (she has a very good musical ear). Only hypothesis that makes any sense to me is that the cheap SMPS with the Netgear injects more noise in the wiring. Replacing Cat 6 between switch and Klimax with SFP optical (the Cisco switches and the streamers support that) makes almost no (if any) difference beyond replacing the switches.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #149,547 of 151,364
room optimization software ain't gonna solve that
Why not? My big double height room does not pass the clap test, but Linn room optimization kills the unwanted room modes.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #149,548 of 151,364
It's surprising to me to hear that there are music playback protocols using UDP. Latency is certainly very important for gaming, and it matters for video playback at least to the point that you can control synchronization by delaying the video to match the audio. But for simply listening to an audio recording, I don't see why an extra few hundred milliseconds would matter at all. I've cued records with the ~300 ms latency of Bluetooth audio and it's a bit weird, but as long as it gets there within a couple of seconds without dropouts then I'd call it a success for music listening. I've also used Pulseaudio over TCP for many hours, and if anything, I'd lean toward a larger buffer and longer latency to make sure it all gets there. TCP seems a lot more likely to me to ensure that there aren't any dropouts, and any dropout is simply devastating compared to a minor loss of transport control responsiveness.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #149,550 of 151,364
The Schiit Happened Playlist 2024 is now live for Qobuz and Apple Music !
Please excuse if I didn’t get exactly the version/masters you wished for. Let me know if I can adjust from what is available on the 2 services above.
Expect a wild ride and - enjoy! :L3000:
Thanks for pulling this together :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back