Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 30, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #46,053 of 152,605
I think John Darko did an interview (2018, see link) and the business model of Massdrop and Schiit Audio Limited was brought up. I purchased their HD6XX, as it was significantly cheaper than me buying a Sennheiser from a Canadian vendor (when @jude did his review of the product, THAT helped me make a decision too [thanks, eh]). When my 'phone jack shorted out, they promptly credited my account. Those cans are my favourite headphone to wrap around my melon-head. :ksc75smile:

I sincerely hope drop dot com can get ahead of any issues. The York Region Police force (north of Toronto) have a motto, that I'm appreciating more and more as I age: Deeds Speak.

I have HD6xx as well. Main headphone it's great. I don't think a 20 dollar increase on it was warranted. I have been noticing changes to their company since summer 2018, and have been losing rather then gaining interest. I think there is a limited number of things they do well. Senn headphones being one of them..

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #46,055 of 152,605
According to some members here (and another forum), an updated Bimby has already been out for months.

This kind of stuff, understandably, drives people nuts. I really wish people other than Schiit themselves wouldn't speculate about silent updates.

From my understanding the next Bimby upgrade we should expect is a Unison USB update, which Schiit will certainly celebrate here on the forum since it is something that they have been working on for a long time.

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #46,056 of 152,605
This kind of stuff, understandably, drives people nuts. I really wish people other than Schiit themselves wouldn't speculate about silent updates.

From my understanding the next Bimby upgrade we should expect is a Unison USB update, which Schiit will certainly celebrate here on the forum since it is something that they have been working on for a long time.

Your understanding is derived from speculation by people other then Schiit....

Sorry to frustrate you more. Schiit has really taken to the kaizen mantra lately. Recently it seems when Schiit makes updates on the upgradeable lines they roll it out silently for a few months before eventually talking about it. Yggy A2 was apparently (speculation & rumour) a tough time for them. As such they appear to comment even less. Jasons last few posts have also seemed geared towards implying silent upgrades should be expected.

Without official comment what else are we supposed to do? This is my water cooler, gotta have office gossip.

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #46,057 of 152,605
I don't think there's anything wrong with speculation. I will say though that making purchasing decisions dependent on speculation is an easy way to get burned.

While it's definitely true that Schiit has shipped named upgraded components in the past before announcing them, and while it's also true that they often implement stealth upgrades that are small improvements to either hardware or software that are not worthy of a title or "new" product launch... most large changes to current products still come with an announcement.

Getting more specific, I recall Jason mentioning in the past that Unison isn't stealth shipping in products, and that when it's ready there will be a formal announcement and a press release about it. This makes sense since they consider it a big accomplishment and an important release.

I think purchasing advice should always remain the same: if you want something now... get it. Whatever you buy doesn't become worse when the product gets updated, and everything always eventually gets updated. But if you don't mind waiting and you would rather get your Schiit after an update, play it safe and wait for an announcement.

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #46,058 of 152,605
While it's definitely true that Schiit has shipped named upgraded components in the past before announcing them

Care to grace us with specific examples?

Unison isn't stealth shipping in products

Certainly true. Unison is a big new shiny product ... a game changer.
Cheers, eh, mates :)

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #46,059 of 152,605
Care to grace us with specific examples?

The most cited example is Yggy’s analog 2 board, which was shipping to new Yggy customers for a couple months before it was officially announced and made available as an upgrade for previous owners.

To be honest, I can’t think of a second example on that scale, which was kind of my point... I wouldn’t buy a current product assuming it is really a next gen product that has yet to be announced.

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #46,060 of 152,605
Schiit often talks about the quagmire manufacturers navigate to license the latest mass market audio/video standards. Here is another example of that from another manufacturer's newsletter.

"Owners of legacy AVRs and PrePros manufactured in 2015 or earlier will find their HDMI v1.3/4 connections wont accept the latest HDMI v2.0 4K sources."

Wow! 5 years and a component is totally out of date. Amazing.

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #46,061 of 152,605
Schiit often talks about the quagmire manufacturers navigate to license the latest mass market audio/video standards. Here is another example of that from another manufacturer's newsletter.

"Owners of legacy AVRs and PrePros manufactured in 2015 or earlier will find their HDMI v1.3/4 connections wont accept the latest HDMI v2.0 4K sources."

Wow! 5 years and a component is totally out of date. Amazing.
What? Nobody with a 4k telly is worried about getting 4k from their "legacy AVR." That's ridiculous to think that. Also, schiit is going to make some of their own products obsolete too. Like Unison USB, if it's really better than any other interconnect (like 4k is better than 1080p), then any component without it is going to be plain inferior, right? Only way to make sure your product stays current forever is to never improve it.

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #46,062 of 152,605
The aV market has made a killing on planned upgrades/obsolescence. They comsumers fall for it hook line and sinker. Laserdisc, Dvd, Progressive Scan DVD, BlueRay 1080p, Blue Ray 4k, 8k.......

In the Audio (2ch world) many attempts have failed. Digital Audio Tape? SACD? Dvd-Audio? Dsd?

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #46,063 of 152,605
The aV market has made a killing on planned upgrades/obsolescence. They comsumers fall for it hook line and sinker. Laserdisc, Dvd, Progressive Scan DVD, BlueRay 1080p, Blue Ray 4k, 8k.......

In the Audio (2ch world) many attempts have failed. Digital Audio Tape? SACD? Dvd-Audio? Dsd?
If only schiit had been in existence in 1927, when the TV was invented, we could have skipped all that marketing bs and planned obsolescence, and skipped straight to 24k! Man what would the world do without schiit. Some of you guys drink so much koolaid I swear. It's almost entertaining, but also pretty annoying. It's almost like technology takes effort and time.

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #46,064 of 152,605
Ridiculous as it seems that you could be comparing two DACs one of which is 8% the price of the other... I never heard a Gumby, but damn Modi 3 is good.

I have always said the Modi MB was a $500 DAC which was always half-price. It is as good, if not better than the R2R-11 NOS ladder DAC at $350. Let me say that, in my opinion, there is NOT $1,000 worth of 'More, better DAC" in comparing a $249 to a $1249 product. I've not heard a Yggy, but I had the Gumby for several months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back