Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 2, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #95,581 of 153,123
How about a „GTI“ version of Folkvangr with mercury rectifiers?

Would certainly look impressive. Not sure about health & safety…

Jul 2, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #95,582 of 153,123
Folks, post your order time so we can sleuth the ETA :smile:
Ordered at 6:30:49 AM PDT Monday. Shipping notification 11:07 AM PDT on Friday, arrived in Bloomington, CA at 3:05 this morning (Saturday). Current FedEx delivery prediction July 5 in IL.

Status of my order is still "in production" :)

Jul 2, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #95,583 of 153,123
Again very back-of-envelope calc, my estimate is that Lyr will deliver 2.4x more power than Magni 3 to your headphones. The (very rough) power (W) vs resistance (Ohm) graph:

Power vs Resistance.png
Hi earnmyturns,

Thank you, this is the information I needed. I could have drawn the same graph as you, but without understanding the context then it wouldn't have helped me. You've provided that context, and have thumbs up from a number of knowledgeable members, including at least one known amp-builder, so it looks like your conclusion is sound.

I've also looked at the other amps and you're right, the Lyr is the one that from the specs delivers demonstrably more power than the Magni.

As Monday is the day when the US celebrates something or other (I'm seriously considering moving to Scotland given the politics over here) then I'll wait until later in the week before placing my order.

Given the manufacturing lead time (10-12 weeks), the transatlantic transit time (~ 1 week( and the bureaucracy :)face_palm: ) then I'll report back with results sometime around my birthday.

Which is mid-October.

For info, I'll be topping up the order for the Lyr with a Bifrost and probably a Lokius. I know the Lyr can be supplied with an onboard DAC, but as I only want to buy this stuff once (I did alright last time in 1977 after all) then the reviews of the Bifrost mean that the cost is worth it.

And I'm so used to the row of knobs on the front of my current amp that I'd miss them if I didn't have an EQ somewhere in the stack.
pair.jpeg

lokius black front 1920.jpg

Thanks again for your help, and to the other members who've chipped in both here and privately.

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #95,584 of 153,123
Ordered at 6:30:49 AM PDT Monday. Shipping notification 11:07 AM PDT on Friday, arrived in Bloomington, CA at 3:05 this morning (Saturday). Current FedEx delivery prediction July 5, 2023 in IL.

Status of my order is still "in production" :)
FTFY :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #95,585 of 153,123
I am trying to resist the temptation of buying the 'bonkers' Folkvangr but I can feel my resolve weakening...:worried:

I have a fairly naïve question, which I'd really appreciate some help with please, from those on the forum who, unlike me, understand tubes.

The Folkvangr is of course, primarily a headphone amp.

However, I notice it has preamp outputs.

Now, if I'd really wanted a tube output option from a preamp, I should have bought a Freya+, but I didn't- I bought a Freya S!

I run a balanced system comprising : Digital source->Yggy OG->Freya S->Active ATC speakers (with XLR inputs for built-in power amps).

Is there any way that the Folkvangr could be used in this set up?

I completely understand that the Folkvangr is a single ended design, so not well-suited to my balanced set up.

I just wondered if its preamp output could be connected to one of the single ended inputs of my Freya S, which will then magically output Balanced, via the Nexus gain stage?

This is probably a stupid idea, for a number of reasons, and if so, I'd appreciate anyone on the forum putting me straight as to why that is.

However, if it would work, it would mean that in addition to introducing some tube magic for headphone listening, I might be able to do the same for the speaker system.

If that is the case, all bets are off and my credit card will be taking a big hit :beyersmile:

Edit: I have succumbed to temptation and just ordered a Folkvangr, in silver!
I would appreciate any comments about whether the preamp output from Folkvangr could be fed into a S/E input of my Freya S.
Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #95,586 of 153,123
Jul 2, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #95,587 of 153,123
How about a „GTI“ version of Folkvangr with mercury rectifiers?

Would certainly look impressive. Not sure about health & safety…
Is this even a consideration when it comes to ultimate sonics? 🤣

And after the GTI version would be the "certifiably insane" version with eight 211 tubes. Probably need a dedicated AC line to handle the ~27 amps of total heater current, but ultimate insanity has no limits. :sweat_smile:

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #95,589 of 153,123
I can remember things like that, but my wife says I cannot remember things that she asks me to do.
Selective memory is a valid condition that is uncontrollably caused by decades of joyous marriage. It affects both sexes but only one person is allowed immunity from critique...Yup.

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #95,590 of 153,123
Is this even a consideration when it comes to ultimate sonics? 🤣

And after the GTI version would be the "certifiably insane" version with eight 211 tubes. Probably need a dedicated AC line to handle the ~27 amps of total heater current, but ultimate insanity has no limits. :sweat_smile:
SIr Jason of Stoddard makes the FV but still refuses to make the TwiinTube powered Vali of The Toad...Go figger. :ksc75smile::beerchug:
Can not say I blame him really. :darthsmile:

Jul 2, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #95,591 of 153,123
For me, anything that goes thru Olathe, Kansas sits there for days before moving on.
My post office is known locally and in D.C. as one of the worst in the country. It has literally come up in the halls of Congress.

Jul 2, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #95,592 of 153,123
When Mjolnir was discontinued last year, I kicked myself for missing the boat. Besides Jason, who knew an even cooler boat was on its way? Cool as in really hot.

I spent last night listening to the Folkvangr and for me, it's as good as it's ever going to get. Thanks to Jason and the team for creating something so wonderful.

Attachments

• IMG_8958.JPG
    IMG_8958.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 2, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #95,593 of 153,123
When Mjolnir was discontinued last year, I kicked myself for missing the boat. Besides Jason, who knew an even cooler boat was on its way? Cool as in really hot.

I spent last night listening to the Folkvangr and for me, it's as good as it's ever going to get. Thanks to Jason and the team for creating something so wonderful.
Great picture.
What is your source input for that stack of Schiit?

Jul 2, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #95,594 of 153,123

Sooooooo beautiful. HUZZAH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back