Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 11, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #105,481 of 153,153
Don’t know if this will help with the hum situation. You could try a different wall socket

Schiit has this on the site
Got hum? It could be a ground loop. Try a ground loop isolator or EbTech HumX to eliminate it.
From a recommendation on here, I got the Emotiva CMX-2 Precision Common Mode AC Line Filter With DC Offset Eliminator for trying to resolve a couple of issues with my Vidar powered system. It worked well (that is no reoccurrence of the problem since), and when the Tyrs were ordered I got a second one (the CMX-2 has only two outlets and the more outlet version is out of stock). They seem to do an excellent job and for me and may be worth a look.

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #105,482 of 153,153
Watching basketball doesn't make sense.
I enjoy sports and competed in several. As far as college basketball the last undefeated college team was local, as well as the last college coach to win the Olympic gold without using pro players. :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #105,484 of 153,153
Thanks for the info! If I end up keeping the Tyrs I'm probably gonna grab a Freya Noval then.

Having had this up and running for a day now, im noticing im really despising the humm coming out of one of the units. I don't think i want to keep this unit. Am I able to open the lid and peak to see whats causing the humm? Or will that void warranty?
Both of my Tyrs hum fairly quietly, as in I can only hear it if I put my ear about 8 inches from them. However, when I first got them, one of the Tyrs hummed much louder than the other, as in I could hear it several feet away. I contacted Schitt and they covered the cost to have it shipped back, repaired and returned to me. Definitely worth reaching out to them about it.

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #105,485 of 153,153
121122bondtruck.jpg

Apparently big rig art is still a thing...apologies for going way OT, but had to share this.

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #105,486 of 153,153
Thanks for the info! If I end up keeping the Tyrs I'm probably gonna grab a Freya Noval then.

Having had this up and running for a day now, im noticing im really despising the humm coming out of one of the units. I don't think i want to keep this unit. Am I able to open the lid and peak to see whats causing the humm? Or will that void warranty?
IIRC, with permission from Schiit, some have opened up their amps and tightened a coupla screws to correct a mechanical hum.

So, question follows, is it a mechanical or electronic hum? Not coming from a speaker?

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #105,487 of 153,153
121122bondtruck.jpg
Apparently big rig art is still a thing...apologies for going way OT, but had to share this.
It’s only off-topic until we get the 007 x Schiit Yggdrasil OHMSS colab edition

Dec 11, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #105,488 of 153,153

Big rig in my mind is my main system.

196714E7-EC80-413E-9B69-CCEBD2F461EB.jpeg

Today I am trying different tubes just to see if a more magical combination exists.

Musical selections include the Avett Bothers, Art Pepper, Willie Watson, Greg Brown, Tramples by Turtles, Van Morrison, and John Hyatt

Although I did not want to see it, I have a list of DAC's that should be in my upcoming comparison. That list could change slightly but I insisted on the two Yggdrasil, PrimaLuna, HoloAudio, and Aqua being there. :ksc75smile:

Yggdrasil + Less is More
Yggdrasil + OG
Benchmark DAC D3
Auralic Altair G1
Chord Hugo 2
Cary DAC 200 TS
Prima Luna EVO100 tube DAC
Aqua La Voce
Merason DAC 1
Doge 7 tube DAC
Lampizator Baltic 3
McIntosh MDA 200
HoloAudio May KTE
RME ADI-2
IFI Audio Pro iDSD

Now after such comparisons I have had folks say things like "I thought that would be the outcome". :L3000: Anyone want to make any outcome predictions BEFORE the comparisons are done. :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #105,489 of 153,153
Both of my Tyrs hum fairly quietly, as in I can only hear it if I put my ear about 8 inches from them. However, when I first got them, one of the Tyrs hummed much louder than the other, as in I could hear it several feet away. I contacted Schitt and they covered the cost to have it shipped back, repaired and returned to me. Definitely worth reaching out to them about it.
Thanks! I think i'll have to do this too since its in an office environment. Its weird how it plays with the accoustics in the room. At certain distances I cant hear it, but at other distances I can hear it louder. And I can hear it from a few feet away. There's a slight buzzing sound i can hear from a foot away, but that noise is really quiet and rather inaudible. I'm mostly concerned about the passive humm. If i power the unit off the humm goes away instantly. I think some people are more sensitive to this issue than others. I suspect most people wouldn't care and as a result schiit wouldn't consider it much of a QA problem. Its just that I spend extra money when I build my PCs and buy my electronics to avoid added noise. Would I pay 200$ to have this shipped for a dfferent unit just to avoid the noise? Yep. Instantly. Would most people do that? Super doubtful. If they do cover the cost then I don't have to make that tradeoff.

Jeez I emailed schiit several months ago about the humm in Tyrs and I asked about it being a problem when several users had already reported that. I didn't want another piece of electronic in my office space. They replied with something like "we aren't aware this problem exists". I was afraid this would happen

Dec 11, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #105,490 of 153,153

196714E7-EC80-413E-9B69-CCEBD2F461EB.jpeg

Today I am trying different tubes just to see if a more magical combination exists.

Musical selections include the Avett Bothers, Art Pepper, Willie Watson, Greg Brown, Tramples by Turtles, Van Morrison, and John Hyatt

Although I did not want to see it, I have a list of DAC's that should be in my upcoming comparison. That list could change slightly but I insisted on the two Yggdrasil, PrimaLuna, HoloAudio, and Aqua be there. :ksc75smile:

Yggdrasil + Less is More
Yggdrasil + OG
Benchmark DAC D3
Auralic Altair G1
Chord Hugo 2
Cary DAC 200 TS
Aqua La Voce
Merason DAC 1
Doge 7 tube DAC
Lampizator Baltic 3
McIntosh MDA 200
HoloAudio May KTE
RME ADI-2
IFI Audio Pro iDSD

Now after such comparisons I have had folks say things like "I thought that would be the outcome". :L3000: Anyone want to make any outcome predictions BEFORE the comparisons are done. :wink:
What a LIST! Jealous!

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #105,491 of 153,153
Dec 11, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #105,492 of 153,153
Dec 11, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #105,493 of 153,153
Dec 11, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #105,494 of 153,153
Dec 11, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #105,495 of 153,153

Although I did not want to see it, I have a list of DAC's that should be in my upcoming comparison. That list could change slightly but I insisted on the two Yggdrasil, PrimaLuna, HoloAudio, and Aqua being there. :ksc75smile:

Yggdrasil + Less is More
Yggdrasil + OG
Benchmark DAC D3
Auralic Altair G1
Chord Hugo 2
Cary DAC 200 TS
Aqua La Voce
Merason DAC 1
Doge 7 tube DAC
Lampizator Baltic 3
McIntosh MDA 200
HoloAudio May KTE
RME ADI-2
IFI Audio Pro iDSD

Top 3 yggy+OG, Cary, Prima Luna with stock tubes. Yggy finishes third if someone like @bcowen provides the tubes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back