Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 7, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #112,441 of 154,253
How do you have the sub integrated with the amp and two speakers? It doesn't look like the sub you have listed has a pass-through, are you splitting the signal from the amp to run to both?

I forgot to list my HP rig subwoofer in my gear listing. It has high-level pass-through, but I just use an RCA splitter from the pre-out on the Peity HP amp and use one leg for the Rekkr inputs and the other leg for line inputs on the sub.

Here's the inexpensive under-desk sub I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KGA6A8A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #112,442 of 154,253
Stressful day...

...at work, but that's why they pay me. Started at 05h30, and other than a short break to run some local errands, my big butt is still in this seat (not for long, tho).
What has made the B.S. 10x easier to deal with is the LS50 / monoblock Aegir pairing, which has been singing blissfully for most of the day at (checks Apple Watch) 62db average SPL, playing Tidal playlists.

The more that I listen to this rig, the more convinced I am that a) the Jotunheim with the multibit DAC sounds great and b) Aegir is magic.

The LS50s aren't slackers, either. I have hesitated to haul the T9/x subs up here, but... :relaxed: maybe next time my son comes out to visit...
Hello. I am looking for a pre-amp/amp for my LS50 Meta's. Are you using the Jotunheim for your pre-amp to Aegir's in this setup? Thank you

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #112,443 of 154,253
New member, long post ahead, feel free to skip… tl;dr what to buy????

I’m not quite AARP eligible, but VERY close and lost what I thought was going to be the job that took me into retirement due to COVID related issues… which is not all that relevant, except as relates to both my non-essential budget and how I found myself a reader of this here forum…

Just about two years ago, the above employer went into Chapter 11 related to COVID and my “position was eliminated” as part of the restructure. Examining my options, I decided to start my own business, servicing clients in the industry I’d worked in for 30 years, and it seems to be working. I’m basically at earnings parity, including pesky details like paying self-employment tax, providing for my own health care and contributing to my retirement fund, and there is slow, steady growth.

I like to say, “I’m cautiously pessimistic.”

I came across this thread early in the start-up process, partly because I was researching DACs, but I stuck around because I was interested in the @Jason Stoddard posts that, especially early on, dealt with building something of one’s own. There are a lot of management lessons secreted in this long thread.

But, that cautiously pessimistic thing is perhaps most relevant when I’m considering purchasing things I want, but do not need…

Which brings me to…

I have three main amplified sound cases in my life.

1) A main system that sees many hours a day for 2.1 channel music listening outside of working hours.

Sources are: U-Turn Orbit turntable with the upgraded platter and an Ortofon Red cart, a no-sim card iPhone 8 as a dedicated streamer, primarily using Apple Music High Res/High Res lossless, and a thrifted cheap Sony DVD player hidden in a cabinet as a CD transport. The two digital sources are run through a Modi 3E (iphone via camera USB dongle, DVD via Coax).

Amplifier is a neat little 10 WPC integrated tube amp with three Jan GE 5670 tubes in the preamp stage and 4 Gold Lion EL84 tubes in the output stage (a retired audio engineer relative is currently SLOWLY rebuilding me a HealthKit AA-151, which may or may not replace this amp. TBD if it ever gets done).

Amp has one line level input and a pretty good sounding phono stage, feeding Klipsch R50M speakers, with a Velodyne sub filling out the bottom.

This set-up is probably 60% streaming, 35% Vinyl and 5% CD. Music runs a wide gamut, with a lot of classic jazz, Texas singer-songwriter (think Townes), alt.country, indie rock (esp. late 80s to early aughts), etc, etc. No metal, very little Prog Rock, but I own—and play—a lot of the early to mid-90s 4AD, Matador and Sub Pop records on vinyl, alongside all of the above. It’s not uncommon for us to play Yo La Tengo’s I Can Hear the Heartbeat Beating as One followed by Wes Montgomery, followed by Beck, followed by Nanci Griffith, followed by Check Your Head from the Beastie Boys, followed by an original pressing of Willie’s Stardust or Springsteen’s Nebraska.

2) My newish very near field home office set up. I am not a headphone guy. I have a nice set of wired, over ears for airplane use, but they live in a drawer when I’m home. Prior to COVID layoff, I spent MAYBE 10 hours a week in my home office. My new venture has me there for 40 plus hours a week, depending on travel. I had a Bluetooth/Airplay 1 speaker in there prior to COVID, but couldn’t live with it full time. Bought an SMSL class D to pair with some Polk Monitors I had laying around. Source is 100% streaming run from a no-sim iPhone 5 I had in a drawer through the DAC in a 1st Gen iPhone lightning dock, via a 3.5mm to RCA AUX in the amp. It‘a fine. It’s WAY better than the Bluetooth deal.

3) TV, which currently has sound from the headphone out on the flatscreen into an el-cheapie Sony all-in-one that’s about 25 years old. Sounds fine into Klipsch R51, and we use it MAYBE 3 hours a week.

Which brings me to… what should I buy, given my cautiously pessimistic nature about my disposable and future income (noting that I own a Sys, that is not currently in use)?

1) A new Mani for main system phono stage. This would put the Sys into use as basically a switcher between the turntable and the digital sources through the Modi 3E, bypassing the phone stage on the amp.

2) A Modi Multibit, for the large use case of our digital sources.

3) A Rekker/Gjallarhorn for the office near field set up. The Sys would do preamp duty there, and I could move the Class D SMSL amp into service driving TV audio (3.5mm out to Aux in) and ditch the cheap-o Sony, which is, maybe, on schedule to fail any day, adding a DAC from the digital out on the TV if I ever got the itch to do it.

Benefits to Mani—Discogs tells me my vinyl collection is worth about $10k. Both my spouse and I have been buying—and playing— vinyl records since we were Gen X kids and we never stopped. We like our records, and we play them, especially on the weekends.

Cons to Mani— We really have no issues with our current phono stage, it sounds good, we get a lot of enjoyment from it, and not sure if this is upgrading just to upgrade.

Benefits to MMB— probably (maybe?) sounds better than 3E, used more often than phono. Simple enough to switch in to the main system, already have all the interconnects. By adding another camera dongle, could improve office set up by moving the 3E into the office.

Cons to MMB— Do I need it? Really have zero issues from the phone streamer or transport. 3E continually makes me smile on well loved recordings.

Pros Rekker/Gjallarhor— I don’t love the SMSL as a music amp. It’s not bad, it does the job. But it doesn’t make me giddy.

Cons to Rekker/Gjallarhor — I really don’t need it. The SMSL is background music 75% of the time. Moving the SMSL to the TV would lose the remote the cheap-o Sony has for volume, but we don’t need that much. TV/HT is our least used source.

What to buy? I have some mad money from a big deal, but not enough to do it all.

And I could just take that relatively small amount of mad money and turn it into a bottle or two of fantastic whisky, which would also probably work.
You may have seen this, but easier to read in hardcopy (or Kindle) for the 1st chapters:
https://www.amazon.com/Schiit-Happened-Worlds-Improbable-Start-Up/dp/1514355027/ref=sr_1_3

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up Paperback – June 14, 2015​

1678196881582.png

Obviously (2015) doesn't include the newest chapters, but gives a foundation.

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #112,444 of 154,253
I forgot to list my HP rig subwoofer in my gear listing. It has high-level pass-through, but I just use an RCA splitter from the pre-out on the Peity HP amp and use one leg for the Rekkr inputs and the other leg for line inputs on the sub.

Here's the inexpensive under-desk sub I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KGA6A8A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cool, thanks for the explanation. I recently got in some powered monitors (the IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors are no joke, despite the unfortunate i-Name) but I wouldn't mind a biiiiit more bass extension below the ~50hz these get down to. Using my Magni as pre-amp is working really well, but being just two-channel I wasn't sure how to best rig up a sub. With the Rekkr getting me thinking about a pair of Elacs replacing those monitors, the sub question continues in my mind. Go figure, I'm already using split RCA cables that are ostensibly for a sub to split my Modi signal to the Magni and FV :sweat_smile:

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #112,445 of 154,253
Mar 7, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #112,446 of 154,253
I found my Sennheiser RS195 headphones! I got them a few years ago and at first used them a lot and then...gone?! charged them up over the course of the day and evening and have them plugged into my Denon AVR-X4300H now and am listening to "Classic Vinyl". But as is so often the case with me, I have a question about a music service.

fApple Music. Does any one have it and like it? I have been wary since I last logged onto my circa 2012 (?) Mac Mini and for what ever conspiratorial reason my iTunes libary disappeared. The Denon does not have fApple Music natively but I could use my still happily functioning iPad Mini 4 to get it there. I currently use and enjoy SiriusXM, Pandora Premium (Family Plan!) and Amazon Music Unlimited. I have never gone to the Tidal Bowl as I did not wish to support cRap fArteests and that is who owned it although I think that primary owner ship has changed.

I get a head ache every time I write or TRY to say Qobuz. Childish? Yup and proudly so! But I digress - So honest opinions on fApple Music please. I am again using Carplay in my vehicles and I suppose it would work okie-dokie (?). I do not really care about Codecs as I can not tell the difference between Mp3 (not the cool Piaggio scooter!) and Amazon's UHD. I just want to be happy. A dear friend that uses Bluesound in his home told me he likes the algorithm employed by Pandora and I have been a paying customer for over a decade now. I was a fApple enthusiast during the iPod era and still have a 2nd generation click wheel iPod that is nearly immaculate.

Please excuse the usual toadish ramblin'. I really do value the opinions of all here and just want to know if there is something about fApple Music that would be worthy of me risking the trial period. Oh! Riahnnon Giddons is a Goddess and I really enjoyed her work with the Carolina Chocolate Drops and have a couple of albums of her solo work too.

My sincere thanks to any that provide their thoughts on fApple Music.
I have called it that for quite some time now. Our family, much to the chagrin of my spousal unit, will ofttimes butcher words/names. For example we call Outback Steakhouse, "Outhouse Steakback". My wife claims it is no longer "cute" but annoying. Personally I think she is talking about me. I refuse to grow normal.
:beerchug:

"Foot Stomping Music" by Grand Funk Railroad is on! HUZZAH!

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #112,447 of 154,253
That's a nice set-up! Plus, NHT makes some great speakers. The SuperZero's are one of their best designs. I'm curious too, as to how you upgraded the crossovers? That's something I like to do as well. Thanks! :grinning:
Simple. I opened them up, pulled the crossover out, replaced the cheesy parts with better parts of the same value, stuffed them back in. It helped that the values were printed on the crossover board. I wired them point to point too as some parts no longer fit on the small pcb.

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #112,448 of 154,253
Simple. I opened them up, pulled the crossover out, replaced the cheesy parts with better parts of the same value, stuffed them back in. It helped that the values were printed on the crossover board. I wired them point to point too as some parts no longer fit on the small pcb.

Details man, it's all about the details...! Did you upgrade to polypropylene caps? Boutique caps? Brand? I assume the results were worthwhile...? 🤣

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #112,449 of 154,253
Yeah, Windows wasn't worth running until version 3.1. I did use a graphical editor to program with long before I switched to Windows. I used some task switcher back then but I don't remember much else about it. The tools that programmers have now days are just amazing. I just wish that most of them could actually produce good code!
Ah.... Quarterdeck's Desqview with an expanded memory card. Those were the days.

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #112,450 of 154,253
Do I need it?
A lot of us here absolutely need music to help navigate this thing called life.

If the equipment makes the music sound better, and brings you a deeper emotional connection, then yes, you need it.

PS, Mani 2 is an amazing overachiever.

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #112,452 of 154,253
Well am sure glad nobody grabbed by Naim integrated while I had it listed. After getting a Freya N on a whim decided I wanted to go separates, but a single Aegir didn't sound great in buffer or passive, and there wasn't enough juice in tube mode, and two Aegirs sounds like it wouldn't do either. Don't think I want the Vidar sound signature, so back into the chain for the old green eye. Maybe my boxed up Freya N will hold its value since it's OOP, or we go to a larger house where I can try Tyrs. Always worth trying new ideas!

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #112,453 of 154,253
Details man, it's all about the details...! Did you upgrade to polypropylene caps? Boutique caps? Brand? I assume the results were worthwhile...? 🤣
Original crossover. 🧀
86DB42D7-C37C-42B0-BF25-AE32DCA17115.jpeg

Updated crossover. Ok, I guess I did keep the old PCB but more as a mounting board for the parts.
Clarity Cap MR on the tweeter. Erse film caps for the rest.
Erse foil inductor on the woofer.
Mills resistor.
I kept the other stock coils as they’re not in the signal path and I was already eating up too much cabinet volume.
FA0B65A4-9F58-4964-9843-9AA96109B00D.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #112,454 of 154,253
It’s not uncommon for us to play Yo La Tengo’s I Can Hear the Heartbeat Beating as One followed by Wes Montgomery, followed by Beck, followed by Nanci Griffith, followed by Check Your Head from the Beastie Boys, followed by an original pressing of Willie’s Stardust or Springsteen’s Nebraska.
+100 - love the song choices and the sequencing!

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #112,455 of 154,253
So here's the original crossover.

Original crossover
86DB42D7-C37C-42B0-BF25-AE32DCA17115.jpeg
Updated crossover. Ok, I guess I did keep the old PCB but more a a mounting board for the parts.
Clarity Cap MR on the tweeter. Erse film caps for the rest.
Erse foil inductor on the woofer.
Mills resistor.
I kept the other stock coils as they’re not in the signal path and I was already eating up too much cabinet volume.
FA0B65A4-9F58-4964-9843-9AA96109B00D.jpeg

Quite the upgrade...! Well done. I've never dug into my SZ's. This might inspire me to do so. 😃

Also, a shame Erse is no longer. At least, in it's previous form. They appeared to have gone under, due to the pandemic, and have now been purchased by a Chinese company. I'm not sure where parts will be manufactured now? 🧐

Users who are viewing this thread

Back