Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 16, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #118,546 of 153,165
Whoa whoa, who the hell is that ALEX Rose guy?

I'm curious, do you have the same aversion to Janis Joplin? (when it comes to style singing, I've always seen Axl Rose as a male Janis Joplin).

Maybe that's why he sounds so bad; I've been listening to the wrong guy...! :astonished: 🤣 🤪 🤣

Oh, yea, not a big fan of Janis Joplin either...! :disappointed:

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #118,547 of 153,165
It's been a while. Still loving my Schiit stack, however looking to get a Magni + for some headphones. It's looking like I'll be getting the Hifiman Sundara. Can anyone recommend me a replacement cable for the Sundara? Would like a braided black or black and silver accents and 10ft length. Thanks!
I have this one: Youkamoo 4 Pin XLR Balanced Male Compatible for Hifiman HE4XX, HE-400i Headphones 8 Core Braided Silver Plated Replacement Audio Upgrade Cable (2 x 3.5mm Version)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LF36XD2?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_0TWMPTCSY2C72E9AZ3SJ_1

Not too expensive and makes a nice upgrade.

Updated link as it wasn't working correctly

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #118,548 of 153,165
There are at least! five songs where air drums are never! optional:
Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight, Blur's Song 2, Guns'n'Roses' Paradise City, The White Stripes' Seven Nation Army, and of god-damned-freaking corse The Who's Baba O'Riley.

That's not even a debate, the issue has been settled decades ago.

Would love to know what version they used or what they did to amp up Baba O'Riley in that scene. It always sounded better than the album versions I've heard.

May 16, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #118,550 of 153,165
@Jason Stoddard

https://twitteringmachines.com/mofi-electronics-unleashes-the-masterphono-preamplifier/

$5000...yikes, I assume most of the cost is in the VU meters and putting the power button on the front lol

An invitation for Schiit to do what Schiit does best... VALUE!
I tend to think the price is high because most frAudians IQ is low and their ego is desperate. :beerchug:
Good looks on the outside and nothing special backing them up on the inside is kinda like saying, "Hollywood is covered in tinsel. But once you strip away that tinsel, you'll find the real tinsel underneath".

There is nothing magical in good engineering so those who are selling the audio equivalent of new clothes to the emperor simply appeal to their customer's ego.

May 16, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #118,552 of 153,165
Ex … cuse … me?!? 😳

I'm sorry, but no. Just… 🤨 …no.

There are at least! five songs where air drums are never! optional:
Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight, Blur's Song 2, Guns'n'Roses' Paradise City, The White Stripes' Seven Nation Army, and of god-damned-freaking corse The Who's Baba O'Riley.

That's not even a debate, the issue has been settled decades ago.

Other songs where air drums are most assuredly required by common law:
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows
AC/DC - Back in Black
Green Day - American Idiot

Honestly, I'm not even sure that you can claim an exemption for when one of these songs come on while you're driving, that's how non-optional those air drums are! 🤣

Air drums optional, he says… 🙄
Close the window on that nonsense! 🤣

Correct.

Only the gorilla suit is optional.

The air drum solo is not.

May 16, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #118,553 of 153,165
I was helping a person in my area today whose neighbors keep playing loud music day and night and she wanted to fight back with some bass heavy tunes. I suggested things like Daft Punk, Dropkick Murphys, and Flight of the Cosmic Hippo by B`ela Fleck and the Flecktones. I started listening to more and more of the Flecktones and found the music to be very good for test tracks. Mr. Cowen told me about Cosmic Hippo so I cannot take credit for that. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #118,556 of 153,165
Not sure if you have a budget in mind, but you can easily spend more on the cable than the Sundara's themselves ...

Personally I've been very happy with Hart Audio Cables, and have slowly converted all of my headphone cables over to Hart, it's made things just simpler to organize
- Made in the USA with oxygen free, Mogami copper
- Sonically excellent with minimal microphonics (e.g. noise when cable rubs against clothing)
- Modular approach - swappable interconnect (6.35mm, 4-pin XLR, etc.) that connects to the headphone cable through a mini-XLR connection
- Lots of customization options for length, color, braiding, etc.
- Affordable - relative to a lot of custom cable makers out there
- Excellent customer service

Example image:
- HC-9 Dual 3.5mm TRS balanced cable - use it on my Hifiman Arya and Ananda (works on Sundara too)
- Pictured is a 6 foot cable with interconnect for 6.35mm, 4-pin XLR, 4.4mm and 3.5mm
hart-audio-cable.jpg
Great choices and I love to use pigtails like that myself.😁

May 16, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #118,557 of 153,165
Would love to know what version they used or what they did to amp up Baba O'Riley in that scene. It always sounded better than the album versions I've heard.
I'm reasonably sure that what they used for that scene is track 1 from Who's Next (Deluxe Edition) "Baba O'Riley (remix)", released in 2003. It's definitely not Townshend's 9-minute-something instrumental version, that one has a drastically different pitch to it, and it's not one of the live recordings, either.
When you listen closely, you can hear the exact same clipping issues in the piano track that this re-released remix and the original album version has.
My guess is that the audio editor who worked on that House, MD episode put it through an expander to lower the noise floor a little without losing any of the track's dynamics, added a slight bit of transient shaping to sharpen the attacks somewhat, EQ'd the upper mids and treble up a good bit, and added a hint of reverb to make it sound as if it was playing in House's office.
But it should (I think!) be the same track as the one you can find on the 2003's release of Who's Next (Deluxe Edition).

This 2020 "lyric video" has a mix that's somewhat cleaner than the above mentioned 2003 remix, they somehow removed some of the clipping issues I've mentioned, but it's not perfect, either.

Personally, my favorite mix is this one from what I think is just some random dude on the interwebs. While it suffers from the same clipping and distortion issues that all the other mixes have, it's the cleanest I've heard to date. The transients are much more defined than with any other mix that I'm aware of, the vocals are very close to perfect considering the crappy source material, and the treble with this mix is what I'd describe as "just right."

No idea how they got that much detail out of the original recording.

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #118,558 of 153,165
May 16, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #118,559 of 153,165
The answer is probably none, since this is an analog device.
MoFi were converting their vinyl to DSD for mastering purposes.

I was a little surprised to find that an all discrete, analog product can have the firmware updated. Different VU meters?

May 16, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #118,560 of 153,165
Can I stack a Vali++ on the top of the Modi Multibit 2.....??
Sure.

Or get a mini rack. Not that it's needed for cooling, just looks more, um, cool. :laughing:

(mine are both OG's, not +'s or 2's, but little difference (if any) in heat output)

Vali with Footscray.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back