Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 31, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #119,371 of 153,220
Listen to a Bluetooth speaker for music every once in a while. It'll make you appreciate your Schiit stack even more.
Why do you hate us so, RickB?

May 31, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #119,372 of 153,220
I’m still tempted to get another SB-3000 to go with the first, but that would make my small listening room even smaller. Hmmm.
Geddes does recommend placing a sub not on the floor. I'm sure your ceiling is looking pretty empty....

May 31, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #119,373 of 153,220
May 31, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #119,374 of 153,220
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Rock Steady - 2015 Remaster....... Bad Company

Jun 1, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #119,375 of 153,220
IMG_3425.jpeg

Lyr3, at the office, listening to:
KOTO - Return of the Dragon
(with Bifrost2 OG down under)
Rockin’! :L3000:

Jun 1, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #119,376 of 153,220
And to complete the cycle would you be so kind to post the cable maker/type/source? It's perfectly fine to do so as Schiit Audio does not sell those cables.
Sure, here you go;
USB-C - USB-C
Apple supported USB 2.0 cable, 5m / 16' Retailer: DDIYYI

USB-A - Lightning
Apple supported cable, 5m/16' Retailer: Quanlex

USB-C - Lightning
Non-Apple supported cable (but works anyway from iPad/iPhone to Modius), 5m / 16' Brand: Animiel.
I can't provide a link as that particular cable isn't coming up in Amazon searches although other cables from Animiel are.

Anyway, they all do what they're supposed to do. I don't know if more sensitive or more practised ears than mine would detect a loss of fidelity between these cables and shorter cable runs, but that's for others to try out. As ever, YMMV.

Jun 1, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #119,378 of 153,220
which brand is that? I am looking for a full-suspension e-bike; any tip for me?

I'm planning to get either one of the new Canyon models (possibly Neuron:ON CF) or Orbea Wild FS H30, which is carried by my local bike store. I changed jobs a couple of months ago and my new employer has a bicycle benefit, so I'll be sure to make the best of that.

————————————————————

Also, whew! I must have taken a ten month break from this thread, but I'm all caught up now (as far as Jason's posts go, otherwise there's just too much activity here).

Got married, got promoted, broke my arm, changed jobs, Elma might be getting a sister in the house. Looking forward for Mjolnir 3! That about covers everything I think.

IMG_8621.jpeg

Jun 1, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #119,379 of 153,220
I'm planning to get either one of the new Canyon models (possibly Neuron:ON CF) or Orbea Wild FS H30, which is carried by my local bike store. I changed jobs a couple of months ago and my new employer has a bicycle benefit, so I'll be sure to make the best of that.

————————————————————

Also, whew! I must have taken a ten month break from this thread, but I'm all caught up now (as far as Jason's posts go, otherwise there's just too much activity here).

Got married, got promoted, broke my arm, changed jobs, Elma might be getting a sister in the house. Looking forward for Mjolnir 3! That about covers everything I think.

IMG_8621.jpeg
I've got a Canyon (carbon, hardtail and fork suspension only); great bike! The e-bike prices from them got crazy imho; 3 years ago my friend bought the spectral for 3.5K, I believe the same is now starting at 5K ... Orbea also has some steep prices

Jun 1, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #119,380 of 153,220
Orbea has some pretty steep prices, but my local dealer has good deals on them. Looking to get something in the 4-5k€ price range. My six month trial period comes to an end in October and I can get the bike then, so there should be some deals as the cycling season is ending.

Jun 1, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #119,381 of 153,220

Welcome back. I can't imagine trying to catch up after ten months - a day or two is bad enough.

:beerchug:
JC

Jun 1, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #119,383 of 153,220
Tidal vs. Qobuz - what the schiit?
(I wrote this last night, pretty late, and saved a draft. Edited for clarity this morning.)

How can Qobuz sound so much [different?/better!] than Tidal? It's kinda freaking me out, because there is a marked difference, and I favor Qobuz. I was an early adopter of Tidal, and I haven't cancelled my subscription yet, but I must say that Qobuz just hits my ears in all the right places... <g>

To be clear, I'm not comparing Qobuz's FLAC content with @OldRoadToad 's favorite Tidal format, MQA... Tidal is moving to deprecate MQA, and a lot of songs on the service have already been converted to 44.1/16 or /24 FLAC. In every case, I am comparing FLAC to FLAC, and I'm matching bit rates / bit depths. I have strived to match levels to within 0.5 db. BTW, it seems that Qobuz is about 1-2db 'louder' than Tidal on my system, YMMV.

I used Soundiiz (thank you, Qobuz, for the free access pass!) to convert my playlists, albums and artist lists from Tidal to Qobuz. It's a brilliant application, btw. I'd have bought a license if had I needed to...

Key conclusions, 72 hours in: Qobuz is a totally different experience than Tidal, in terms of apparent dynamic range, and overall "punch". The pace of music streamed from Qobuz just ffllllooooows... IMHO as good or even possibly better than local Redbook playback with a stable transport feeding Yggy.

As I've recently made a major upgrade to my analog playback chain, I might say that music streamed from Qobuz by my AURALiC Aries G1, and delivered to Yggy via AES/EBU is so damned close to 'analog' that I'm wondering why I keep spending money on analog... #fetish #firstworldproblems I'm upstairs in my office, listening to the downstairs system and I keep waiting to hear the "...tick...tick...tick" of a stylus in a lead-out groove. Bowie's "Lazarus", anyone? Oh, my goodness. Never heard an internet stream sound like this before. The echo that hovers just below his voice in parts of the vocal? I've never heard it before, and now I'm hearing that effect while sitting in another room, on another floor of the house... it's nuts. Simply nuts.

All of this would be for naught if I didn't have a Yggdrasil. I feel compelled to re-state, re-enforce, and re-confirm that it is a spectacular piece of kit, and certainly one of the best deals in audio today. I (recently) spent an afternoon listening to a friend's system that sports a DAC that costs (almost) 20x more, and honestly? It's not markedly better in any audible way. I want to upgrade my Yggy to the new case style, but I may just make the (executive) decision to buy a new one and hold on to my OG (w/A2 and Unison) machine. I always knew that Yggy is special, since I first heard what it can do with CD playback over digital coax. I think that Mike once said that 44.1/16 is really all you need. Well, Yggy is the embodiment of that ethic. I am still so very impressed with this DAC, and I feel no need to replace it at any time in the near future. /end_schiit_ad

The AURALiC is also a wonderful piece of gear, but I could never figure out why CD playback (and bit-perfect 44.1/16 rips, stored on a 0.5TB thumb-drive, connected to the USB Storage port) often sounded audibly 'better' than Tidal streams... and then I tried Qobuz. I'm frustrated that I didn't try it, sooner.

More to come, as I'm still trying to wrap my ears around the differences.

p.s. - (last night, I was) listening to Lara Fabian covering Sarah McLaughlin's "In the Arms of an Angel" at CD quality, on Qobuz via the AURALIC. It sounds clearer and more spacious in presentation than the same album played on CD locally. So weird... can't explain this phenomena.

p.p.s. - another conundrum: 44.1/16 data, upsampled by the AURALiC- via any of the four available digital filters - does not sound as good/smooth/pleasing as a native hi-rez stream from Qobuz, sent via AES/EBU 'digital' to Yggy. Bits are bits, my a**.

Thanks for listening,

/ds

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #119,384 of 153,220
Sure, here you go;
USB-C - USB-C
Apple supported USB 2.0 cable, 5m / 16' Retailer: DDIYYI

USB-A - Lightning
Apple supported cable, 5m/16' Retailer: Quanlex

USB-C - Lightning
Non-Apple supported cable (but works anyway from iPad/iPhone to Modius), 5m / 16' Brand: Animiel.
I can't provide a link as that particular cable isn't coming up in Amazon searches although other cables from Animiel are.

Anyway, they all do what they're supposed to do. I don't know if more sensitive or more practised ears than mine would detect a loss of fidelity between these cables and shorter cable runs, but that's for others to try out. As ever, YMMV.
As long as they are MFI certified they should be fine. What bothers me with most vendors is that they tout charging capability and say nothing about data transfer characteristics.

Jun 1, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #119,385 of 153,220
Tidal vs. Qobuz - what the schiit?
(I wrote this last night, pretty late, and saved a draft. Edited for clarity this morning.)

How can Qobuz sound so much [different?/better!] than Tidal? It's kinda freaking me out, because there is a marked difference, and I favor Qobuz. I was an early adopter of Tidal, and I haven't cancelled my subscription yet, but I must say that Qobuz just hits my ears in all the right places... <g>

To be clear, I'm not comparing Qobuz's FLAC content with @OldRoadToad 's favorite Tidal format, MQA... Tidal is moving to deprecate MQA, and a lot of songs on the service have already been converted to 44.1/16 or /24 FLAC. In every case, I am comparing FLAC to FLAC, and I'm matching bit rates / bit depths. I have strived to match levels to within 0.5 db. BTW, it seems that Qobuz is about 1-2db 'louder' than Tidal on my system, YMMV.

I used Soundiiz (thank you, Qobuz, for the free access pass!) to convert my playlists, albums and artist lists from Tidal to Qobuz. It's a brilliant application, btw. I'd have bought a license if had I needed to...

Key conclusions, 72 hours in: Qobuz is a totally different experience than Tidal, in terms of apparent dynamic range, and overall "punch". The pace of music streamed from Qobuz just ffllllooooows... IMHO as good or even possibly better than local Redbook playback with a stable transport feeding Yggy.

As I've recently made a major upgrade to my analog playback chain, I might say that music streamed from Qobuz by my AURALiC Aries G1, and delivered to Yggy via AES/EBU is so damned close to 'analog' that I'm wondering why I keep spending money on analog... #fetish #firstworldproblems I'm upstairs in my office, listening to the downstairs system and I keep waiting to hear the "...tick...tick...tick" of a stylus in a lead-out groove. Bowie's "Lazarus", anyone? Oh, my goodness. Never heard an internet stream sound like this before. The echo that hovers just below his voice in parts of the vocal? I've never heard it before, and now I'm hearing that effect while sitting in another room, on another floor of the house... it's nuts. Simply nuts.

All of this would be for naught if I didn't have a Yggdrasil. I feel compelled to re-state, re-enforce, and re-confirm that it is a spectacular piece of kit, and certainly one of the best deals in audio today. I (recently) spent an afternoon listening to a friend's system that sports a DAC that costs (almost) 20x more, and honestly? It's not markedly better in any audible way. I want to upgrade my Yggy to the new case style, but I may just make the (executive) decision to buy a new one and hold on to my OG (w/A2 and Unison) machine. I always knew that Yggy is special, since I first heard what it can do with CD playback over digital coax. I think that Mike once said that 44.1/16 is really all you need. Well, Yggy is the embodiment of that ethic. I am still so very impressed with this DAC, and I feel no need to replace it at any time in the near future. /end_schiit_ad

The AURALiC is also a wonderful piece of gear, but I could never figure out why CD playback (and bit-perfect 44.1/16 rips, stored on a 0.5TB thumb-drive, connected to the USB Storage port) often sounded audibly 'better' than Tidal streams... and then I tried Qobuz. I'm frustrated that I didn't try it, sooner.

More to come, as I'm still trying to wrap my ears around the differences.

p.s. - (last night, I was) listening to Lara Fabian covering Sarah McLaughlin's "In the Arms of an Angel" at CD quality, on Qobuz via the AURALIC. It sounds clearer and more spacious in presentation than the same album played on CD locally. So weird... can't explain this phenomena.

p.p.s. - another conundrum: 44.1/16 data, upsampled by the AURALiC- via any of the four available digital filters - does not sound as good/smooth/pleasing as a native hi-rez stream from Qobuz, sent via AES/EBU 'digital' to Yggy. Bits are bits, my a**.

Thanks for listening,

/ds
I can never try to articulate like you (or @ArmchairPhilosopher) but I really like Qobuz. I've tried almost all the other streaming services, and Qobuz just sounds the best, IMO. And if I recall correctly, my honest opinion is that Tidal boosts the bass. I have no proof or scientific evidence...just my ears. And that would make sense since they seemed to push the Rap, Hip-Hop, etc. at you all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back