Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 6, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #119,657 of 153,281
I would have loved to have been to that Show in 84 - btw the Kinks were No1 in the UK charts on the day I was born -
Nancy Sinatra was No 1 on mine.

Jun 6, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #119,658 of 153,281
Jun 6, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #119,660 of 153,281
First ever real concert for me was Toto in 1986 followed by my first ever (and only) time being handcuffed (by police) later that night. Not arrested though, just held in place while he figured out I wasn't the one he was looking for. Just the slowest! More memorable was the following year after graduating college and before going into grad school. Seeing Heart and understanding why hearing protection is sooooo required and then stealing a pair of used chopsticks from their room service that night after the concert. We were staying on the same floor as they were thanks to a friend working at the hotel!

Jun 6, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #119,661 of 153,281
The first concert I ever went to was one of my own, actually. I was a tenor in my town's children “selection choir” as they called it. Which is essentially just a choir that you had to be recommended for by your music teacher and then you had to audition to actually be accepted. But the acceptance rate was somewhere around 10%, so it wasn't exactly "elite" by any standard. But we were still plenty good enough to be able to tour around Germany quite a bit. Which was seriously exciting for little 10 year old me.

The first concert I ever went to at which I didn't perform myself was probably some sort of jazz concert, but I don't remember what it was. The town I grew up in has a pretty huge jazz festival that takes over much of the town for about ten days every year ("Kemptener Jazzfrühling" or "Kempten Jazz Spring" as it's called — think Monterey Jazz Festival, only quite a bit longer, in restaurants, bars, and theaters all over town instead of a festival ground, and with the Alps and cow meadows instead of the Pacific as your backdrop) and I'm pretty sure my mom must have "dragged" me to a concert or two every year, starting when I must have been maybe ten? Most likely some dixieland or blues gig, that's what she likes the most. And that "dragged" is in quotes because I eventually began to actually appreciate these things myself when I got to my early teens.

And then there were your usual oompah bands in beer tents sprinkled all over even my earliest childhood, but I'd say those don't count as a concert.

There were also tooooooons of smaller local rock concerts that I went to in my later teens when I was a member of my local fire department. Every time there was a concert in town, be it in a theater or some open air venue, the organizers were required to have a certain amount of first responders on the premises. I was always game for these things, because for this-here teenager it meant free admission, unrestricted backstage access, and today's equivalent of 10 bucks an hour (not "pay" mind you, but a non-taxable "expense allowance" as they called it). Plus, the fact that we had to go to these things in dress uniform always meant that you got plenty of much appreciated attention from the girls. At age 16 in the mid-90's in some rural, large-ish town in the middle of bum-f#c& nowhere? Running around in a fire fighter's dress uniform is just about as chick-magnet-y as it can get. At that age, not even those actually hot guys that had their own Vespas got that much attention!
Good times… 😏

The first "real" concert I went to, meaning to a rock group that I was an actual fan of, actually wanted to see, and actually paid to buy tickets for, was a local JBO gig. Don't worry if you've never heard of them, neither has anybody else outside of southern Germany's metal scene. They're fun, though, always up for a good time.

The first concert by an artist that people actually know? Not sure, honestly. Could have been Götz Alsmann. Or maybe Barbara Schöneberger? Don't remember. Either way, both were at the Philharmonie in Cologne. Probably the same year.
Well, that's "actually known" in German-speaking countries, I guess.

First globally known artist or band, though? I believe that I saw/heard the Regensburger Domspatzen once at an event that my choir sang at. They're reasonably well known, right?
I've also been to an organ concert at the St. Stephen's Cathedral in Passau. That instrument is pretty darn famous, too, I suppose.

But some actually famous pop or rock idol? Not a single one, I think. I'm not super into paying an arm and a leg for event tickets, to be honest. And drunk crowds aren't my thing, either.
But I think I would have loved following the Grateful Dead around for a while. At least during the first years, before things got a bit out of hand in terms of drugs harder than just a bit of beer, weed, and LSD.

Yeah, I know. I've always been an 80 year old grouch, even in my teens and twenties. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #119,662 of 153,281
I believe my first concert was Joan Jett (Sept 5, 1982) at Six Flags over Georgia. I just looked through my old ticket stubs and sadly don't even remember being at a few of those shows (I partied a bit back in the 80's and 90's).

A couple of my favorites were:
Anthrax (w/ Testament opening) at the Metroplex on July 24, 1987
Megadeth (w/ Warlock and Sanctuary opening) at Center Stage on April 6, 1988

Jun 6, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #119,663 of 153,281
First ever real concert for me was Toto in 1986 followed by my first ever (and only) time being handcuffed (by police) later that night. Not arrested though, just held in place while he figured out I wasn't the one he was looking for. Just the slowest! More memorable was the following year after graduating college and before going into grad school. Seeing Heart and understanding why hearing protection is sooooo required and then stealing a pair of used chopsticks from their room service that night after the concert. We were staying on the same floor as they were thanks to a friend working at the hotel!
Toto wasn't my first concert, but it ranks up with one of the best I've seen. They played at a smaller venue in Melbourne, The Palace in St Kilda, more a large club than a concert venue. Three hour set, and the sound was on point. Their Live In Paris Blu-Ray with Bobby Kimball is great as well.

Jun 6, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #119,664 of 153,281
While I may have seen a couple of symphonies during grade school I don’t generally count those.

My 1st actual concert was Debbie Gibson in ‘89. First actual rock concert was a couple of years later. Guns ‘n Roses with Skid Row opening. This was also my first time hearing swear words amplified and getting a contact high from the crowd.

The loudest concert I’ve been to was Metallica and G’nR in San Diego at a no longer existing baseball stadium. It was so loud you could still make out the lyrics from the parking lot. In between sets the stadium cameras would find cute women in the crowd and show them up on the big screens. Several of them took the opportunity to flash their boobs to everyone.

Jun 6, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #119,665 of 153,281
My first concert is pale in comparison to The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl, but it was in college, around 2000-2001. Went to see the band called Fuel perform in Brockport, NY. It was a surprisingly small venue for such a big band at the time. But I remember enjoying every minute of it. Went to see much better shows down In Pittsburgh, namely A Perfect Circle, Tool, and Jerry Cantrell (from Alice In Chains).

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #119,666 of 153,281
Well, I’ll chime in so there’s some coverage for us 40-Ish folks. :)

First concert for me was Genesis during their We Can’t Dance tour. This would have been June 19th 1992 at the Cal State Sacramento Hornet stadium. Kinda an odd venue but it was a great concert.

I was a huge fan of Land of Confusion and so when they opened with that I was thrilled.

I really got into it when Mike Rutherford was slamming it on the bass during The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and the light show they had going.

The Phil Collins and Chester Thompson drum duet blew my mind, it still one of my favorite tracks and performances to this day.

Fist concert I did a stage dive was January 1997 at a Social Distortion concert. The band was encouraging folks to come on up so during I Was Wrong, I gave it a go. It was fun.

Most intimate concert would have to be Southern Culture On The Skids at some club in Santa Cruz. Crowd had such a good vibe to it.

A concert I really enjoyed was in Prague with the City of Prague Philharmonic. They did a night of sci-fi theme song music that was just chef kiss. Hearing a number of Star Trek themes played live with a full orchestra was amazing.

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #119,667 of 153,281
So, first concert was the Hollies reunion tour in maybe 93 at the Congress in Eastbourne. My mum and dad took me and I wasn't keen on going. Fell in love with live music and the Hollies that day. They did a 5 minute banjo intro to Stop Stop Stop.

Best concert is tough. I've got some great memories. The first concert I paid for was Sheryl Crow at the Royal Albert Hall in 96, her second encore of Hallelujah blew me away.

I was at the last concert at the old Wembley stadium, Bon Jovi opened with London Calling and the place went nuts.

I also got U2's 360 tour in 2009 at the new Wembley. My sister and I somehow managed to get between the inner and outer stage.

A very special concert was seeing Paul Weller in Pittsburgh at Mr Smalls, a converted church. As one of my heroes, seeing him in that small 300 person venue was amazing. He played Hyde Park the week after to ó0,000.

But, seeing Brandi Carlisle at the Ryman in Nashville was amazing. It was the last concert my wife and I got to see before COVID hit, and she brought out Sheryl Crow as a surprise special guest and they played one of my favourites, Redemption Song. Before they played it, she said that Johnny Cash showed her how this song should have been and then played it as he recorded it with the piano. I unashamedly cried that night.
I had never heard of Brandi Carlisle before I saw her on SNL. What a voice. Every time she hits those sustained high notes I get ye olde goosebumps.

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #119,668 of 153,281
I had never heard of Brandi Carlisle before I saw her on SNL. What a voice. Every time she hits those sustained high notes I get ye olde goosebumps.

Yep! What a voice!

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #119,669 of 153,281
Most intimate concert would have to be Southern Culture On The Skids at some club in Santa Cruz. Crowd had such a good vibe to it.

A concert I really enjoyed was in Prague with the City of Prague Philharmonic. They did a night of sci-fi theme song music that was just chef kiss. Hearing a number of Star Trek themes played live with a full orchestra was amazing.
The most intimate for me was Billy Joel at PB Scotts in Blowing Rock, NC, a college hangout bar with maybe 500 - 600 max occupancy. That was just prior to The Stranger being released which is the album that really put him on the map.

The other up-close-and-personal concert (I won't call it intimate :laughing:) was Marilyn Manson at Cains Ballroom in Tulsa, OK. Another small club, no seats, and at that particular concert some very, very, like mega very strange people, not including me of course. 🤣 Also saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd there -- great performance, more normal people.

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #119,670 of 153,281

Users who are viewing this thread

Back