Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 27, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #122,477 of 153,236
A question for those of you looking at using a pair of GHorns. Other than size, why would you choose this configuration instead of an Aegir which is pretty much guarantied to sound better?
Balanced connection if you need longer cables or have a lot of electrical noise to deal with. No guarantee Aegirs would sound better but they most likely wi sound different.

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #122,478 of 153,236
All tops are aluminum. A 1/8" thick steel top of that size would be insanely heavy.

In CA at the moment, not so great here either. Here's a couple days ago on the drive home. In F of course, or else I'd have different problems. Like dying.

IMG_3712.jpg
Those temperatures are normal here in the summer. Two weeks ago we had few days around 49 degC (120 degF), even for here that was a bit warm......

Jul 27, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #122,481 of 153,236
My favorite pizza can only be found in Milwaukee. By a little Italian restaurant that’s so old school they only recently got a website.
Looks good. I'm pretty partial to Michaelangelo's in the Greendale area near Milwaukee. They make a thin/cracker crust style pie with mushrooms, sausage, and onions that is awesome. It's the first pizza outside of the Jersey/New York area that I've liked as much or better. Whereabouts is your pie from? I'm heading out to MKE in 2 weeks, might try it out.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #122,483 of 153,236
My favorite pizza can only be found in Milwaukee. By a little Italian restaurant that’s so old school they only recently got a website.
IMG_3595.jpeg
… mmm mmm mmm 😛😋

Jul 27, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #122,484 of 153,236
A question for those of you looking at using a pair of GHorns. Other than size, why would you choose this configuration instead of an Aegir which is pretty much guarantied to sound better?
As stated previously -- being able to run GHorns as balanced mono-blocks at less than the price of 1x single-ended stereo Aegir. Along with all of the benefits of a mono-block setup, one also gets 10 additional watts per channel than a single Aegir (@8 ohms). And all this comes with a whole lot less HEAT being dumped into a room.

I cannot compare the extent of any difference, and which one is better, but I can tell you the 2x mono-block GHorns sound fantastic in my setup. @Rensek may never see these bad boys again. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #122,485 of 153,236
@Ripper2860

Dont let your wife see that post...

To tack on to one Aegir vs 2 GHorns...

I've read on numerous occasions that Vidar does better bass then Aegir. I thought that the bass with monoblock Ghorns was very similar to my Vidar. I would maybe place mono Ghorns somewhere between Rag 2 and Vidar 1. But everything else about the Ghorns was superior to Vidar 1, and similar to Rag 2.

Keep in mind, listening levels about 80 db +/- 3 db. Zu Omen DW II speakers. YMMV and all that.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #122,486 of 153,236
@Ripper2860

Dont let your wife see that post...

To tack on to one Aegir vs 2 GHorns...

I've read on numeous occassions that vidar does better bass then Aegir. I though that the bass with mono block g horns was very similar to my Vidar. I would maybe place mono G horns somewhere between Rag 2 and Vidar 1. But everything else about the G horns was superior to Vidar 1, and similar to Rag 2.

Keep in mind, listening levels about 80 db +/- 3 db. Zu Omen DW II speakers. YMMV and all that.
I can verify that both Vidar 1 & 2 do better bass than Aegir. Would love to hear some G horns!

Attachments

• PXL_20230728_022811610.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230728_022811610.PORTRAIT.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 28, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #122,487 of 153,236
My Dear Pietro, I am occasionally very thick and I do not understand. Please elaborate
It looks as if an underground of pizza dough was covered in a full English breakfast.
And, my dear colleague, I guess occasionally thick is describing the pizza and not you.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #122,488 of 153,236
Jul 28, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #122,489 of 153,236
My DCA Aeon2 Noire + Jotunheim package arrived today. I work from home so I didn't get to devote as much attention to them immediately as I would have liked, but I've listened to parts of 100+ favorite tunes since then.

Compared to my mainstays:
1 - Senn HD650 via Schiit Folkvanger
2 - various older Stax Lambdas (407 hybrid, Pro, NB) via refurbished Stax SRM-1/Mk2
* rest of chain: Roon Nucleus (local FLACS & Qobuz) --> Yggy LIM --> Freya+ (tubes off)

Mini report-card: Love it! Superb combo.
* The Noire is crisp & punchy, well-balanced
* and VERY comfortable, VERY light feeling.
* Never shrill to my old ears (unless the recording has been extreme on all my gear)
* The Jot is totally in control, seemingly effortless, no noise.
* an excellent & very complementary fit to what I have
* an especially nice upgrade on hard-hitting but clean music, percussion
* together they are compact enough I can stash them in my daypack for travel

* still going to get a ZMF Atrium some day ... but this was worth a delay on that plan.

I had fun re-discovering some great music, performers & recordings:

* rock - Airplane - Beatles - Talking Heads - Doors- Allman Bros - Dire Straits - Elvis Costello - Devo - David Bowie -
... Cream - Derek & the Dominos - B-52s - Santana - Alice in Chains - Nirvana - Grateful Dead -
... Jethro Tull - King Crimson - Metallica - Nightwish - Morphine - Van Morrison - Pretenders ==> super !
* guitar centric - Buckethead - Jimi Hendrix - Jeff Beck - Stevie Ray Vaughn - Aqua Velvets - Los Straitjackets -
... Al Di Meola ==> super !
* female vocals - Janis Joplin (Big Brother) - Billie Eilish - Mollie Tuttle - Agnes Oble - Beyonce - Lizzo - Madonna ==> mo' super !
* reggae & ska - Bob Marley & Wailers - Skatalites - English Beat - Tokyo Ska Orchestra - The Congos - Scientist -
... Burning Spear - Horace Andy ==> woofing super !!
* blues - Junior Wells - Muddy Waters - North Mississippi Allstars - Orianthi - Samantha Fish - Christone Kingfish Ingram -
... Albert Collins - Ana Popovic - Big Walter Horton - Bjorn Berge - Carolina Chocolate Drops - Professor Longhair -
... Billie Holiday - Joanna Shaw Taylor - R.L. Burnside - Son House - Sonny Landreth ==> super ! (have I mentioned that before?)
* acoustic - Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - NGDB/Will the Circle Be Unbroken - Nirvana (unplugged) - Eric Clapton (unplugged)
* OST etc - The Good The Bad & The Ugly - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - Blade Runner ==> super super !
* more - Cat Stevens - Booker T & the MGs - Arthur Lyman - Ali Farka Toure - 2Cellos - St Vincent - Daft Punk -
... Fine Young Cannibals - Jacob Collier - Joan as Police Woman - Shpongle - Primus - Orchestra Baobab - War
* oddball personal favorites - Southern Culture on the Skids - Divinyls - The Pretty Reckless - Cherry Glazeer - The Hu
* jazz & classic - yeh, well, I don't tend to listen to a lot of either, don't have many go-to favorites - The Blackbyrds

And I trust that MANY of you will find this compelling:
* bagpipes ==> Red Hot Chilli Pipers - Celtica - various pipe & drum competitions --> Best I Have Heard for bagpipes

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back