Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 28, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #122,536 of 152,859
Good thing Friday night is pizza night in my house. You all have me wanting pizza so bad!
I lived in Boulder, CO for a bit. The pizza just sucked compared to the NY style we get around here in South Jersey. I was told the bread doesn't rise properly, so that's why they use wheat, etc.
I missed cheesesteaks too Nothing compares to Philly.
EDIT to add: You all=Youze
Youse or youze guys. Out in Pittsburgh it's yinz. Down South it's y'all. Oh, to live in the Northeast.

Jul 28, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #122,537 of 152,859
IMG_1527.JPG

Air temp was 94, pool temp was 84 and the beer temp was 38. That's how you deal with a heat wave.

Jul 28, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #122,539 of 152,859
IMG_1528.JPG
Taking your advice and because my wife wants her towel back. For the keen eye it's a Steeler's Terrible Towel that's about 40 years old.
Even worse! I agree with Pietro... definately a "terrible" choice...

Jul 28, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #122,540 of 152,859
IMG_1528.JPG
Taking your advice and because my wife wants her towel back. For the keen eye it's a Steeler's Terrible Towel that's about 40 years old.
Was going to suggest a Terrible Towel!

Jul 28, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #122,541 of 152,859
I was too, Les. That changed as my system evolved. Other than the single ended signal path from my turntable -> phono preamp -> Loki Max, all other connections are balanced XLR. Upgrading those (analog) cables has - each time - delivered a discernable change in my system's overall tonal balance. And because I am painfully aware of the concept of confirmation bias, I have personally swapped the cables blind while an "audiophile" friend listened. He confirmed my choices 9 out of 10 times.

Because of this, I am no longer a cable denier. :) Good-quality analog cables are 'tone controls', of a sort.

This still does not explain the difference I heard in the USB cables, though. 🤷‍♂️

I have two D-110 AES cables. Exceptionally well built at a cost effective price point, IMHO.
I too am a fan of DH Labs / Silver Sonic cables. I was turned-on by another audio enthusiast friend that lent me some Air Matrix interconnects with locking RCAs and it was the first time I actually heard a difference over solid quality lower cost cables in my NAD/Cambridge Audio system at the time between my power and preamp. I bought those from him and since have added digital optical and D-750 COAX cables as well as some BL-1 series cables. A day or two ago I got an e-mail from them with their typical 10% off that they do a couple times a year. I looked at their USB-C to USB-B cable but have not pulled the trigger. I noticed they don't currently offer a USB-C to USB-C on their website yet but sure that will happen with time. In my current system I also use AudioQuest power cables and Pangea XLRs that I've been happy with. Considering what my next USB cable will be. Right now URD is connected to the RME DAC with a USB-B to USB-A cable from Amazon and a USB-C adapter which is decent so far.

Jul 28, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #122,542 of 152,859
Psa here. Pi2AES is having a sale on the Pi2AES Lite board. These don't have the AES connector or I2S connector. Its $200 instead of $250 and claim to be limited QTY.

I have seen several conversations here about this product and I've been on the fence about trying one. Took the plunge here as I have a couple (non Schiit Dacs) that lack usb in.
It's perfect for a Bifrost setup, which is what I use mine for. BNC to COAX (wireworld sells most of their line this way if you look). I have the 2.0 in my main setup to go AES to Yggy, and have had the Mercury Streamer as well. All good products IMO.

Jul 28, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #122,546 of 152,859
Isn't that just a little bit too much information :thinking:
Yah, that's the problem with today's online publishing....we've all cut the budget by reducing the editorial staff :rolling_eyes:

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #122,547 of 152,859
Air temp was 94, pool temp was 84 and the beer temp was 38. That's how you deal with a heat wave.
Coors?! :disappointed:
Does not qualify as a beer. Sorry buddy... :laughing:

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #122,548 of 152,859
A thank you goes out to @sam6550a for some amazing Amperex 5AR4’s! Right now I am using Qobuz to a Carver C 4000 preamp, then a Cary SLA-70 MK2 tube power amp. Listening to a 1973 live version of Sweet Jane. Come to think of it he gave me the brown base Sylvania 6SL7WGT’s as well.🤪 The Ei KT 90’s are from Mr. Cowen. I need to start treating these fine gentlemen better.

I am patiently waiting for Finnegan to fall into a deep sleep so that I can raid your 1950s Melz vault. @bcowen has agreed to be the lookout, while @Ripper #??? serves as an accomplice.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #122,549 of 152,859
I assume they would have issues with me throwing a charging cord from my balcony to the car at the other end of the parking lot some 100 yards away :sweat_smile:
I was in such a complex and people did exactly that. I didn't hear if any got in trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back