Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 29, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #122,611 of 153,307
Now that's old school.
A great flavor, a slightly floral aftertaste. I have served it to many friends and they loved it as well. To be around that long you best be doing something right.🤪

Jul 29, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #122,612 of 153,307
Thanks, but sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.
Everything works if I take the Bifrost OUT of the chain.
Normally my source is the Node 2, so when the sound stopped I thought I can easily check if I'm getting analog out from that - and I do, straight to Freya+ and the rest of the chain, no issues.

Optical, Coax out from the Node 2i to Bifrost I get nothing, nor do I get anything from my laptop via USB to Bifrost (except that the laptop knows it's connected to the Bifrost)

I really think the Bifrost Bit the Frost.
Occasionally my Bifrost 2 (stock) has no sound. I'll cycle through the inputs as I have optical and coax connected. Nothing.

Turn it off restart nothing. Turn it off and restart and it works.

It will work reliably for quite a while. Then the same sequence.

In a previous set-up using just USB via a Roon endpoint I left it on 24/7 and every couple of days without fail it would disconnect and sit there flashing. Restart and all was well....for two days.

This probably doesn't help but but you're not alone, it has something erratic no matter how I use it. Sounds like yours died. Mine keeps resurrecting itself.

Jul 29, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #122,613 of 153,307
Lol. It was my first beer. I was 16 and driving around on the beach (Wrightsville in NC) with a buddy in his dad's 4WD Range Rover when we ran across a dive bar on a lonely stretch of beach. It was 90+ degrees and we were hot and thirsty. Walked in and we were the only patrons at 3 PM. It was dark inside and the AC felt great. Sat at the bar and the bartender asked what we wanted. Behind him was a glorious neon sign for Schlitz beer, so not knowing schiit about beer, that's what we ordered. We were 16 and it was ice cold! Still ranks as one of the best beers I've ever had. Funny how memories work. 😄
The coincidences here are becoming rather disturbing. The first beer I had was a Schlitz at Darryl's in Raleigh ('cause they were known for never checking ID's). That vacation pic I just posted? Wrightsville Beach. This is scary. :scream:

Jul 29, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #122,614 of 153,307
Yeah, Weihenstephaner is great, as are most German pilsners. Always pour down the center of the glass ... foam is your friend. Another fav is the Belgian ale Chimay. Prefer the red which is 7%. The blue is 9% and a bit thick for my taste. Also, a proper Black & Tan is Guinness and Harp lager. Never use a chilled glass for beer ... good beer relishes a room-temp glass. YMMV, as with all things. :)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #122,616 of 153,307
Thank you very much! I've added these to the top of my "to get" list!
....aaaaannnnnnddddddddd ordered. My birthday is a little over a week away, so there's my justification :xf_wink:

Jul 29, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #122,617 of 153,307
Thank you very much! I've added these to the top of my "to get" list!
Edit: you beat me to it by a post. :laughing:

Be sure to grab some before Langrex runs out. I agree with @Ripper2860 (and many others) that those particular Footscray's are fantastic tubes. I'm running a pair in my Folkvangr right now and like them better than anything else I've tried (so far). Once Langrex's stock is depleted, you'll likely be looking at prices 3X+ from individual sellers.

Folkvangr Footscray CV455.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #122,618 of 153,307
Jul 29, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #122,619 of 153,307
Occasionally my Bifrost 2 (stock) has no sound. I'll cycle through the inputs as I have optical and coax connected. Nothing.

In a previous set-up using just USB via a Roon endpoint I left it on 24/7 and every couple of days without fail it would disconnect and sit there flashing. Restart and all was well....for two days.

This probably doesn't help but but you're not alone, it has something erratic no matter how I use it. Sounds like yours died. Mine keeps resurrecting itself.
Personally, that would bug the crap out of me.

Jul 29, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #122,620 of 153,307
Edit: you beat me to it by a post. :laughing:

Be sure to grab some before Langrex runs out. I agree with @Ripper2860 (and many others) that those particular Footscray's are fantastic tubes. I'm running a pair in my Folkvangr right now and like them better than anything else I've tried (so far). Once Langrex's stock is depleted, you'll likely be looking at prices 3X+ from individual sellers.

I should have ordered 2 sets, but while I'm on...errrrrmmmmm...sabbatical (I took a package after 13 years), I need to hold the line on spending on hobbies and such, just a bit. Or at least appear to make the effort. :ksc75smile:

edit: I'm jealous of the VoltsBanger! Ah well. I think I can make do with what I have.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #122,621 of 153,307
Yeah, Weihenstephaner is great, as are most German pilsners. Always pour down the center of the glass ... foam is your friend. Another fav is the Belgian ale Chimay. Prefer the red which is 7%. The blue is 9% and a bit thick for my taste. Also, a proper Black & Tan is Guinness and Harp lager. Never use a chilled glass for beer ... good beer relishes a room-temp glass. YMMV, as with all things. :)
The beer I showed is a pale lager of course. My favorite description of pouring a pilsner comes from the book Slumberland by Paul Beatty. It describes a long slow pour and when you are done the foam should support a half dollar coin. :ksc75smile: A fun book about music and Germany.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #122,622 of 153,307
That'll do it.

Just a little warning, however. Depending on the adapter and how tightly it grips the tube, it is possible that the tube adapter will stay stranded in the socket when you remove the tube. It may require you remove the Freya case (volume knob and a few back screws) to gain access to the adapter to remove it. Some adapters grip the tube very tightly and some do not. I have no first-hand experience with that one.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #122,623 of 153,307
** Odds are you'll not be wanting to remove the CV455 tubes, however. They're that good!! :D

Jul 29, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #122,624 of 153,307

I've had 2 occasions with my Bifrost 2 where I've inadvertently hit a downstream component with a small static charge and sound stopped. Restarting the BF2 was the answer on both occasions. For whatever reason, my BF2 appears to be more susceptible to that kind of thing than my other components. I've never had that happen with Gungnir, etc.

(using a coax connection)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back