Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 6, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #127,846 of 153,128
As for the New York Post, all-time best headline of any ‘news’paper is ….
1C8550DF-7148-406B-AA27-D87FDBA8D1D3.jpeg
[15-April-1983.]

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #127,847 of 153,128
Not to worry. You'll always be able to find pristine examples in the classifieds for years to come. Just take Folkvangr as a case in point.

Maybe because even after having gotten it to work semi-reliably after the eighth attempt at pairing, it will still sound like Louisiana swamp-a$$ on a particularly muggy summer's day.

If you could get Bluetooth audio to work reliably and have it sound nearly as pleasant as an uncompressed audio stream over a wired connection? Now that might change things.

Sometimes you just gotta suffer a little for the magic...

Hmmm, don't get me wrong, love a great sounding system...but would always rather be spending time at the Louisiana Swamp with friends, beers, and an SLA* Certified Bluetooth Boom-Box blasting The Allman Bros than strapped in to 'The Ultimate Tube-ified System' :beerchug:

*SLA = Sounds Like A$$

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #127,848 of 153,128
If I recall correctly, from the maybe 3 weeks (yes, 3 weeks) I worked at McD's (in the eighties) the beef boxes said Grade D. Don't quote me though.
Was that the grade of beef or cardboard container. In the early 60's it was just heavy grade tissue paper wrappings for burgers and fish sandwich.

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #127,849 of 153,128
As for the New York Post, all-time best headline of any ‘news’paper is …. [15-April-1983.]
Right up there with it, also from a "news" paper (Rupert Murdoch's Sun), was this gem when in the Scottish soccer league, comparative minnows Inverness Caledonian Thistle, (Caley to one and all) beat all-conquering Glasgow Celtic.

Attachments

• 1696620902618.png
    1696620902618.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #127,850 of 153,128
Oct 6, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #127,851 of 153,128
YUM!!!

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #127,852 of 153,128
signal-2020-05-26-191605.jpg
This was the last time I had Rosti
That looks great. I love Rosti, there was a restaurant in Rothenburg (Kartoffeln Haus) that specialized in Rosti and served the dish with a variety of sides, my favorite was the lachs but you could also get a haxe.

Oct 6, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #127,853 of 153,128
You mean the power switch is back there? You can't pile flammable stuff on top?

Here's the high maintenance: 1) connect it to source with RCA or XLR. 2) Connect it to AC power with the supplied cord. 3) Glance at the manual to decide your initial front switch selections. 4) Plug in headphones, with volume set to zero (true for all amps). 5) Power on (it's in the back, yikes!) 6) For optimal sound, wait 20 minutes or so, but it sounds good from the start. 7) Enjoy. 8) After enjoying, turn off (in the back, yikes again!)

Phew, exhausted.

Worth it. So worth it. It could have double the front switches and require nuclear-launch dual power switches flipped in sync, and I still wouldn't care.

Now to decide whether it's worth it to flip my power stage from Vidars to Aegirs, now that I have a signal portion capable of using it. Any thoughts from anyone?

Attachments

• 20231004_001912995_iOS.jpg
    20231004_001912995_iOS.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 6, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #127,854 of 153,128
Was that the grade of beef or cardboard container. In the early 60's it was just heavy grade tissue paper wrappings for burgers and fish sandwich.
I do not recall. I was 16 years old. What I "remember" was I saw a box in the freezer that said Beef - Grade D. I was thinking it was a USDA grading system type thing, but I don't think USDA ever graded anything like that or used a D in their grading. It turned me off eating McDonald's for awhile, cause ya know, a D is bad.

Oct 6, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #127,855 of 153,128
I do not recall. I was 16 years old. What I "remember" was I saw a box in the freezer that said Beef - Grade D. I was thinking it was a USDA grading system type thing, but I don't think USDA ever graded anything like that or used a D in their grading. It turned me off eating McDonald's for awhile, cause ya know, a D is bad.
Yes, a D means its barely passing..... as meat.

Oct 6, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #127,856 of 153,128
Worth it. So worth it. It could have double the front switches and require nuclear-launch dual power switches flipped in sync, and I still wouldn't care.

Now to decide whether it's worth it to flip my power stage from Vidars to Aegirs, now that I have a signal portion capable of using it. Any thoughts from anyone?

Provided the Aegir provides enough power to drive your speakers to your accustomed sound levels, I'm sure that you'll be amazed at the increase in SQ.

:beerchug:
JC

Oct 6, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #127,857 of 153,128

This was the last time I had Rosti
🤤

"Proper" German food is one of the few things I actually miss since I moved across the pond.

If you want my honest opinion… Going from Vidars to Aegirs is a slight upgrade, yes. But if I were you, I'd rather wait a little and save up for a pair of Tyrs instead. Now that's an upgrade. The Tyrs play leagues above those two, sonically speaking. Heck, it's barely the same sport.

I always feel the itch to try new gear. But ever since I got the Tyrs right when they came out a bit over a year ago, I haven't thought about replacing them with anything else even just for a second. They're that perfect in what they do.

So, long story short: If you want to keep upgrading for years to come? Get the Aegirs. They're fantastic amps, especially as mono blocks. But if you want to buy a pair of amps and truly be set for the next 15 or 20 years? Go for the Tyrs, price be damned. Not a single regret on my part.

Also, what @JohnnyCanuck said above. The Aegirs can drive a lot of speakers, but not everything. The Tyrs, however, can.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #127,858 of 153,128
If you want my honest opinion… Going from Vidars to Aegirs is a slight upgrade, yes. But if I were you, I'd rather wait a little and save up for a pair of Tyrs instead. Now that's an upgrade. The Tyrs play leagues above those two, sonically speaking. Heck, it's barely the same sport.

I always feel the itch to try new gear. But ever since I got the Tyrs right when they came out a bit over a year ago, I haven't thought about replacing them with anything else even just for a second. They're that perfect in what they do.

So, long story short: If you want to keep upgrading for years to come? Get the Aegirs. They're fantastic amps, especially as mono blocks. But if you want to buy a pair of amps and truly be set for the next 15 or 20 years? Go for the Tyrs, price be damned. Not a single regret on my part.

Also, what @JohnnyCanuck said above. The Aegirs can drive a lot of speakers, but not everything. The Tyrs, however, can.
I’ll second this. Going from a pair of Vidars to a pair of Tyrs was a huge leap in quality.

Oct 6, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #127,860 of 153,128
🤤

"Proper" German food is one of the few things I actually miss since I moved across the pond.

I actually own a pair of Tyrs already, they drive my living room setup. If I could squeeze them into this loft I absolutely would, but it would require building a pedestal under the JBL 590's. The Vidars are super-powerful, I don't dare turn up the preamp past 30-40%, depending on how hamfisted the recording is.

Here's another photo to explain why I'm married to the form factor. That's my table leg to the left, (yes, my 590's are flanking a computer desk...) and the floor is soft cork from my pre-audiophile days. Never again.

Attachments

• 20231006_204519760_iOS.jpg
    20231006_204519760_iOS.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back