Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 7, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #132,331 of 153,164
Anyone with experience with both the A1 and A2 chips have any impressions/opinions on the sound differences between them?

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #132,332 of 153,164
The Yggy GS2 has the A1 card and according to the GS2 spec page...

Analog Stage: Fully discrete, DC coupled Class A FET buffers optimized for high current output and fully discrete, Class A FET summing stages for single-ended output

A2 is fully discrete, as well. LIM and MIB use op-amps.

Has Jason ever explained why he went with op-amps for the analog stage in the LIM and MIB instead of using a fully-discrete design like the one used in the OG?

I find it to be quite the head-scratcher that he would choose to use op-amps anywhere in a flagship product like the Yggy.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #132,333 of 153,164
Probably a dumb question, but what’s the difference between the Yggy GS2 and current OG? The specs appear to be the same
at the introduction of A2 Yggdrasil analog board upgrade, there was this post from Jason:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-1892#post-13978602
perhaps the wayback would be helpful here to resurrect the now-invalid pages...

and a post from @theveterans referencing a chart by Marv about various Yggy flavors (in audiophileese):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread.766347/page-776#post-17847975

and this small (4 pages) Yggdrasil Flavors thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yggdrasil-flavors.959648/

IIRC: both original AD5791 Analog Board and the v2 used discrete FET output buffers.
Yggy analog upgrade was referred to as "Analog 2" at intro vs. the now common "A2" or "OG" vernacular.
Mike (baldr) had talked about the improvements including higher output current (for driving low-impedance downstream inputs, e.g. 600 ohm pro XLR balanced inputs, audio coupling transformers), and other changes, some of which were contained in the inner PCB layers.
Both Yggy+ GS2 and OG variants have same firmware (supports dithering, non-factory-electronics-technician install of LIM, MIB analog flavor updates)

choice might depend on initial cost or voicing synergy with your existing (or near-future-planned) gear.
Yggy+ GS2 cost is low enough to allow future flavor Analog Board upgrades without significant total cost penalty vs buying an OG/LIM/MIB version initially if you "self-install" to reduce shipping costs.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #132,334 of 153,164
Has Jason ever explained why he went with op-amps for the analog stage in the LIM and MIB instead of using a fully-discrete design like the one used in the OG?

I find it to be quite the head-scratcher that he would choose to use op-amps anywhere in a flagship product like the Yggy.

I re-read the chapter. No mention of why op amps. However, reading between the lines:

1. Op amps have gotten better
2. With the change to TI chip necessitated change to analog output
3. Better measuring.

The LIM, MIB, and MIL were flavors, not replacements for OG A2.

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #132,335 of 153,164
Me, two days ago:
"I should probably order eight or ten 6n6p tubes so that I have a few spares for the Folkvangr…"

Me, looking through the box of tubes in my closet just now:
"Huh, when did I buy those ten 6n6p?!"

What's the exact size of a tube stash to warrant keeping an inventory file? Asking for a friend… 😬

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #132,336 of 153,164
Me, two days ago:
"I should probably order eight or ten 6n6p tubes so that I have a few spares for the Folkvangr…"

What's the exact size of a tube stash to warrant keeping an inventory file? Asking for a friend… 😬
10?

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #132,338 of 153,164
Just 10? Oooops… 😳
Including 12 LISST and 2 rectifier tubes, I'm currently counting 112. But I'm actually not entirely sure that those are all of them… 😬
You definitely need a spreadsheet to track them. I have a refrigerator full of film - anything from 35mm to 11x14 sheet film - and the only way I can remember what’s in there is to track it in an online spreadsheet. That said, it helps if you keep it up to date and that kind of organization is just beyond my skill set.

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #132,339 of 153,164
When you start considering buying more tubes as spares to tubes you forgot you already bought spares for is the time when you need a formal tube inventory tracking sheet or database. 😏

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #132,341 of 153,164
When you start considering buying more tubes as spares to tubes you forgot you already bought spares for is the time when you need a formal tube inventory tracking sheet or database. 😏

Or...possibly seeking professional help! :wink:

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #132,343 of 153,164
Me, two days ago:

It depends. At my age, that number is probably 3. 🤣

The only thing more irritating than buying tubes because you don't think you have them is knowing you have them but can't find 'em. Buried in the stash somewhere. Telefunkens, I will find you....

Tube Stash noval octal.jpg

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #132,345 of 153,164
I have a rack of vintage Pioneer which includes an Exclusive M3 Amp. It is domestic Japan market amp. I bought a transformer to power it. Many years of use; never had any issues.
IMG_2350.jpg
Very cool! I knew about 110/220V transformers, but I didn't know about the 100/120V version. Thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back