Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 9, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #132,481 of 153,195
I assume you’re not American? In the US, there is no standard consumer to consumer bank transfer like in most of the world. Instead we have multiple shades of shady private companies inserting themselves as middlemen.

The EU with almost 30 sovereign countries, has regulation to force banks to interoperate for consumer benefit in ways the single national government in the US is unable to.

I assume you’re not American? In the US, there is no standard consumer to consumer bank transfer like in most of the world. Instead we have multiple shades of shady private companies inserting themselves as middlemen.

The EU with almost 30 sovereign countries, has regulation to force banks to interoperate for consumer benefit in ways the single national government in the US is unable to.

Google Pay - a late entrant among several others - is seamless in this regard, in my neck of the woods. For cross border transactions, TransferWise is another such.

PayPal used to be the only game in town in the days of yore but several others have long since left them in the dust.

I think the resistance to Paypal alternatives has more to do with one's banker's / insurer's inertia.

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #132,482 of 153,195
A short digression from the topic du jour.

This morning’s main system;

Apple->Modius E->Lyr +->Gjallahorn->Ram 1 speakers.

This afternoon’s main system;

Apple->Bifrost 2/64->Lyr +->Gjallahorn->Ram 1 speakers.

And the reaction to the change from Modius to Bifrost is ……….goosebumps.

Right from the first power on the difference is immediate and startlingly good.

Most of the music I routinely listen to is from singer / songwriters who were active in the local scene in Edinburgh when I first found them in 2004. I so enjoyed being sat watching music be created in front of me that I became a fixture at their gigs and remain friends with them still.

So, much as I enjoyed their music through the Modius, since the Bifrost arrived, when I close my eyes, I am back in sundry cramped, overcrowded, noisy cellar bars buried under Edinburgh with friends playing in front of me, but in the comfort of my own chair, instead of rammed against the wall, fighting the backache that plagued me, knowing that if I give in to my bladder, my place and my beer will be gone by the time I get back, and without the passive-aggresive desire to do extreme harm to the b*st*rds who won’t shut up and listen to the music.

Hearing their music come so alive again takes me straight back there to the excitement of seeing them play, hence, goosebumps.

We all chip in with recommendations for music to listen to on here. For anyone curious enough to check out a gentler form of music from generally lesser or unknown artists, sample links are;

Paul Gilbody, Magnets Have Souls:
Kat Healy, No Heroes
Kim Edgar & Horse McDonald, Save Myself (Run Away)
Andi Neate’s live album “Lion Taming for Astronauts” is on Spotify

The Bifrost is a stretch for me but is not going back. Christmas just came early.

Thank you Jason.

And now back to the anatomical possibilities for tube holders.

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #132,483 of 153,195
The Bifrost 2 is an amazing DAC! I was listening to the BF 2/64 in my 2-channel speaker rig (I have a BF2 OG for my HP rig) last night and loving every moment of it. Had me wondering how on Earth can the Yggy GS2 I ordered possibly top this!? If I wasn't such an idiot, I would just be happy with the BF2/64, but as fate would have it, I am an idiot. :unamused:

But a Happy one!! :D

** I know this can be controversial, but the BF2 will sound even better after about 50 hours. :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #132,484 of 153,195
The Bifrost 2 is an amazing DAC! I was listening to the BF 2/64 in my 2-channel speaker rig (I have a BF2 OG for my HP rig) last night and loving every moment of it. Had me wondering how on Earth can the Yggy GS2 I ordered possibly top this!? If I wasn't such an idiot, I would just be happy with the BF2/64, but as fate would have it, I am an idiot. :unamused:

But a Happy one!! :D

** I know this can be controversial, but the BF2 will sound even better after about 50 hours. :wink:

A few days from now you will understand that you are a smart idiot.

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #132,485 of 153,195
Dec 9, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #132,486 of 153,195
I prefer PayPal because of their buyer's guarantee, a feature I've had to use more than once on Fleabay. Yes, some credit cards offer similar protections and Schiit accepts all major credit cards. PayPal has just become a habit with me when shopping on line...

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #132,487 of 153,195
Ditto. I also don't like having my CC number or bank # entered and potentially stored into individual sites and payment processors. Buying without the vendors knowing and/or storing my direct account numbers seems safer.

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #132,488 of 153,195
A question about signal processing. The below may entirely be placebo but, of course, I do not entirely think so.

I have a Roon server off a NUC-like PC, so probably terrible USB (noisy,etc). I have that roon server playing music via a DDC that converts to optical (to isolate noise) into my AVR. Fine, fine, sounds good. Sure, sure, TOSlink sounds like a$$, full of jitter - still sounds good.

I got an old (16yo, can drive!), state of the art, DAC to feed the analog inputs of the AVR, full analog bypass, sounds better (I believe).
Then I turned on the A/D of the AVR to gain subwoofing and room correction. Still, with the s-o-t-a D/A into A/D, sounds better still than the NUC into DDC into AVR.

I'm happy with it. Just intellectually curious as to what/how a better DAC feeding into the AVR can make it sound better, even using the AVR A/D-D/A.

More processing more better in this case.

(Next, I will bypass the AVR completely and compare.)

Dec 9, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #132,489 of 153,195
IMG_5215.png

Beep-bee-bee-boop-bee-doo-weep!

Dec 9, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #132,494 of 153,195
Dec 9, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #132,495 of 153,195
This is sacrilege! SACRILEGE, I say!! A tube imposter. More nightmares tonight, I suppose. :frowning2:
…in that case I better shouldn't tell you that I rolled my entire 6SN7-compatible stock through that Lyr 3 today — and the LISST won that little battle hands down.
(Closely followed by a Westinghouse that @Paladin79 so generously gifted me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back