Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 12, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #132,751 of 153,167
Dec 12, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #132,752 of 153,167
Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #132,753 of 153,167
Yggy GS2 is updated as OUT FOR DELIVERY by FedEx. I'll believe that when the driver knocks on the door asking for my signature and hands me the correct box. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #132,754 of 153,167
Yggy GS2 is updated as OUT FOR DELIVERY by FedEx. I'll believe that when the driver knocks on the door asking for my signature and hands me the correct box. :rolling_eyes:

You ask a lot!

:beerchug:
JC

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #132,755 of 153,167
I think most of them are moving away from that very basic type of streamer these days. My Cambridge MXN10 is very well engineered, and it functions well and sounds awesome! And even if they are technically computers, it's still a computer with one primary function and the engineering is centered exclusively around that purpose. Faaaaaaaar fewer compromises to good audio than a typical MacBook or Windows offers.
The thing about computers is that what they do is decided by software. If you, or the manufacturer, or a computer virus decides that the streamer should be doing something other than streaming music then it will.

Many large parts of the engineering that created it did so with no thought at all given to audio. The CPU, the network interface, any screen, most of the code - it all was created as parts of a general purpose computer. The purpose of a "single purpose computer" doesn't really come into consideration until the point of parts choice (both hardware and software), putting the parts together, supplementing the general parts with any additional stuff needed for the specific purpose.

A streamer may be more or less purpose-built, but as I see it, only on the software side and in the few parts of the software that are directly involved in playback and UI does it make a difference. And if there is more or less other stuff going on, if it is your desktop computer, only matters in terms of practicality and interface. It matters to the user, but it does not matter to the computer.

For minimizing the noise passed on to the DAC there is probably one large step: choosing a low-noise USB interface. Then a smaller step of separating it a bit from the rest of the computer and when those two steps are done well the rest of the computer should not be passing any noise to the USB connection. Then again, if the USB input on the DAC is good or there is an Urd in the chain this doesn't seem important at all.

So, the way I see it, a bog standard general purpose computer is not inherently a compromise at all for audio - if it has the right software.

So my advice is to choose a playback software or a streamer based on:
  1. what is practical for your usecase and
  2. what gets updated in a sensible manner.

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #132,756 of 153,167
You look like you're coming down with something. Think it's called Yggydeliveryimmediatus. Might have to call in sick each day until Yggy is delivered. Just to be safe 🤔
Forget the Yggydeliveryimmediatus. Wait until you come down with YggyDeliveredItus. That's when you'll need the days off! Which is to take nothing away from the physical pain of Yggydeliveryimmediatus.

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #132,757 of 153,167
This is actually a fairly big risk with Roon IMO. If Qobuz goes away then you're stuck with Tidal which may or may not have the same albums available. I've not heard any rumors at all that Roon will incorporate an additional streaming service at any point in the future. It would be great if there were more options with Roon.
Good point! Totally agree. If Roon didn't integrate another streaming service to replace Qobuz, I could simply connect directly to that new service and end my subscription to Roon.....

Leo

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #132,758 of 153,167
I've finally just accepted that if FedEx is being used I need to request a hold and physically go there.
Even packages that don't require a signature get mysteriously flagged as "failed delivery attempts" ...

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #132,759 of 153,167
How dare you toy with my emotions, FedEx!? You tell me my Yggy GS2 is in Dallas and set for Delivery on 12/11, then at 6PM on the day I stayed home to sign for the shipment you set the status to DELAYED/PENDING!! Damn you, FedEx!! Damn you to HADES!! 😡

😭
Waiting for your Schiit from FedEx can be a pain.

I will say that when I bought my Sonus faber towers and McIntosh gear the dealer came to my house, set them up (about an hour process to "sight them in"), and helped me stow the packaging. Slight price difference between Sonus faber / Mcintosh and Schiit though.

Though to me, the cost effectiveness of Schiit is well worth the wait given the direct to market model and sound quality.

There are pluses and minuses to both models. That said when you can have a top-of-the-line Schiit system (all their best) ordered from your couch delivered to your door for under $10k you have to admit Jason and Mike are on to something great.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #132,760 of 153,167
IIRC, there was once a day where FedEx was deemed superior to UPS. Those days seem to have faded far into the past. :unamused:

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #132,761 of 153,167
IIRC, there was once a day where FedEx was deemed superior to UPS. Those days seem to have faded far into the past. :unamused:

UPS?

Well i just sent a package via UPS for $12.
I forgot to add an apt number to the street address.
Mybad.

I looked in UPS site and it told me "missing information".
I easily added the apt number and it took 2 days for it to be accepted and then delivered ok.

Then 2 days later I get an additional charge of $23 for this address update!

IMO, well this is really a tad toooo much but it is what it is...
A simple add to a label and a charge 2x times the original cost of shipping!!
Ouch..

Lesson learned "do it right the first time!"..

Thanks UPS.
:>)
Alex

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #132,762 of 153,167
I've finally just accepted that if FedEx is being used I need to request a hold and physically go there.
Even packages that don't require a signature get mysteriously flagged as "failed delivery attempts" ...
That just means the delivery person doesn't want to carry 2 Tyrs down your driveway because they weigh 55lbs each

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #132,763 of 153,167
Wow just looked at specs and saw yggy isn’t actually mj3 case size, and it’s actually 13 inches deep. What a beast!

Looks like I have to order a deeper shelf for the rack for my new toy

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #132,764 of 153,167
Yep. You're gonna need a bigger boat! :D

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #132,765 of 153,167
Schiit will grow and more joy ..... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back