Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 29, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #134,476 of 153,634
I thought you were being serious, and... Not having gazillions to spend, I decided to see if I could DIY such a wonderful invention for Schiit money... or maybe less.

Seriously, I mean seriously, I went down to the local Bunnings (That's Australian for a hardware store) and bought a bag of rocks. The guy in the store with the branded overalls gave me a wide grin (very happy folks down there, it seems) and swore to me they were crushed quartz, not some fake white rocks for the garden. He couldn't confirm they were from Ballarat, though. So after hours of experimentation, taken with occasional sips of amber liquid (Helps with thinking up wonderful naming conventions, I've been told, which, of course, can only make things sound better!) I then got some resin to hold in all those incredible vibration, killing and healing properties. Put it all in a suitable plastic container. Hey, it's recyclable! Just in case, this whole idea all turns to crap, and, well... The listening tests are pending... in the fullness of Schitt time, of course.

Now that's done, I will relax, sit under the Christmas tree and wait for Santa. I hope he has my MJ3... Do you think FedEx will find Santa's address?
QFeet.JPG
Pre baked version. Have to wait about 2 weeks for two more milk lids.
Merry Christmas

Yes, this is the way to go.
I did the same with a little heap of white silicon gel granules that I acquired after hefty negotiations with FokYu.
She uses those for the acustics of her litterbox for they absorb both liquids and evil rays.

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #134,477 of 153,634
I've gone down my list of all the things a female companion could 'fluff' and a pillow was like 4th on the list. 😏

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #134,478 of 153,634
Hey all,

Just a quick reminder that the Schiitrmeet year-end wrapup is tonight. If you're in the area, come on by.

SchiitrMeet December
Thursday, December 21
6-10PM PST (GMT-8)

22508 Market Street
Newhall, CA 91321

If you're not in the area, you can watch here.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqCWt2_qqB-UD0-pcPpxCw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/

Oh yeah, and a bribe: we'll be giving away 2024 products--all digital introduced in 2024 to one person, all analog to another. Come by or comment on the video to enter.

All the best,
Jason
Just saw the video.
Do you dye your hair?
Don't do it. You're such a handsome lad.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #134,479 of 153,634
Dec 29, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #134,480 of 153,634
Cant wait to see what 2024 will bring, start saving now!!
Good news is you might have to wait only 3 more days. Bad news is it'll maybe be 369. Probably somewhere in between...which can be seen as either half empty or full as your psyche perceives the human condition. And particularly your own! :p

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #134,482 of 153,634
Haha…

Well, um,,,. Here’s MY thihng…. No cats (though have in previous like, my cat Ffloyd was with us for 19 years; guess how she was named?)…

But we DO have the worlds cutest dog… one look into his love-lasers, and he assumes you into his pack forever… :wink: (i.e. if’n I’d a had him when I was in High School, I would have pwned the best looking girls, no problem…

Here he is listening to an old 1958 RCA LSC shaded dog…

Bismarck and the Rig

(I‘ll figure out pics later; Imgur link)
Blenheim Cavs will do that to ya! Beautiful dog!

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #134,483 of 153,634
The "toaster" in question is so much more than just a toaster. It is a testament to American Engineering and harkens back to the day when toasting was an elevated art-form and toast was an integral part of the breakfasts that fueled America's greatness. :flag_um:

Vtg Sunbeam Toaster Vista Radiant Control T-40 Auto Drop Raise​

1703861221642.png

OK. I may have gotten carried away, but I'm not over-exaggerating when I say it was certainly a neat piece of engineering.

One word: Dualit…

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #134,484 of 153,634
You needed a list?

:beerchug:
JC
Me? No. The list is for the female companion's benefit. Takes all the guesswork out of it. 😏

BTW - The pillow is fourth because I'm pretty tuckered out by the time we're done with 1, 2, and 3. 😄

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #134,485 of 153,634
Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #134,486 of 153,634
Nice to meet you as well! Yeah, I have one of Roland's AP 102mm Starfires. I'm kicking myself for passing on a 152mm a few years back. Also many Naglers, Ethos', Pentax etc. etc.

There's at least one other astronomer in the crowd here that I'm aware of.

Glad you found Schiit, and, as they say here, "sorry about your wallet"!
Me too! I have less rarified stuff than you guys, but a club member has a 130 Starfire that he brings out for public star parties (albeit using it only for EAA), and the two local places we do our public star parties have a TEC 200FL and an AP 180 they let the public look through. Currently, I'm really enjoying the Analog Sky Magic, which is a 3D printed binocular telescope that you can build at home. It's a lot easier to bring that thing out and set it up than the 150mm refractor, its mount (a Rowan AZ100), and the tripod. I have an Agema 120 on order, but who knows when they'll get that done. I'm also a Televue fan with mostly Delos, but also the 31T5 and 21 Ethos. Other favorite eyepieces include the Nikon Nav-HW series.

Dec 29, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #134,487 of 153,634
Is there any reason why the Rekkr can't be used to drive cans like the DCA Stealth or Diana V2?

I'm really liking the FV as preamp to the Rekkr. As much as I want to love the Jot 2, I don't. And I don't want to use FV as preamp to Jot 2.

Dec 29, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #134,488 of 153,634
Is there any reason why the Rekkr can't be used to drive cans like the DCA Stealth or Diana V2?

I'm really liking the FV as preamp to the Rekkr. As much as I want to love the Jot 2, I don't. And I don't want to use FV as preamp to Jot 2.
Rekkr into DCA stealth load of 23 ohms yields about 700mW max; similarly, Diana V2 42 ohms, 380mW max; both cases should yield >110dB peaks (assuming HP drivers capable of this extreme output/ no compression/ etc.)

but kinda expensive / inefficient use of 8x 6N6P tubes for a preamp-only application.

perhaps @Jason Stoddard might comment on using 2 or 4 6N6P tubes for this use case? or he might recommend a Valhalla 2 instead?

Dec 29, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #134,489 of 153,634
Yes, as I mentioned, and as the description of the product I linked to mentioned, there is an analog stage, even in the so called "digital" amps. I understand that my ears aren't digital 🙂
Class D amps are NOT digital just because they start with D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back