Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 9, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #135,541 of 153,607
FTFY

(sorry, but just couldn't help myself. :ksc75smile: )
You've obviously been drinking too much Belvedere and confused me with @Paladin79 again. But I must admit he has lots of cool stories about his experiences during the Big Bang. 🤣

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #135,542 of 153,607
While I haven't yet heard the new MIB variant of the Yggy, my impression over the years is that the Analog Devices based DACs that Schiit puts out clearly outshine the TI based DACs.
Let me know what you think after you hear MiB... :) you might be very pleasantly surprised at Yggy+ with the "B" variant TI DAC. I am blown away by what I'm hearing here, and I listen to both OG and MiB daily.

Of course... YMMV. <g>

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #135,543 of 153,607
This is highly appreciated.
You hear a lot of horror stories about Californians moving to Texas, and I'll make sure to get Texas plates for the car first chance I get.
But I'm hoping that my German accent will buy me some acceptance in the area. That, and the fact that I'm moving to Texas not because I want to turn Texas into California, but precisely because it is not California.

I generally hate moving, but I'm actually looking forward to this one!
When there's rain Texas Hill Country has the best spring anywhere! The roadside is like an inverse of fall colors, you look down not up!
IMG_20230408_134111406~2.jpg

Don't forget there's a total solar eclipse this spring. Kerrville and Fredericksburg will be good. For most people it's not even a once in a lifetime if they don't travel.

There's about 100 wineries between Fredericksburg and Johnson City to check out.

And, MOST importantly, Kerrville is the birthplace of the greatest grocery store ever: H-E-B. Dare I mention their BBQ? :)

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #135,545 of 153,607
When there's rain Texas Hill Country has the best spring anywhere! The roadside is like an inverse of fall colors, you look down not up!IMG_20230408_134111406~2.jpg
Don't forget there's a total solar eclipse this spring. Kerrville and Fredericksburg will be good. For most people it's not even a once in a lifetime if they don't travel.

There's about 100 wineries between Fredericksburg and Johnson City to check out.

And, MOST importantly, Kerrville is the birthplace of the greatest grocery store ever: H-E-B. Dare I mention their BBQ? :)
Beautiful area. I occasionally would visit friends in that area 7 years ago. Watch out for the chickens at
Luckenbach.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #135,546 of 153,607
OK, new topic here. Is an Aegir (1 or 2) overkill in a desktop system? Driving a pair of ADS 300s I’ve owned for 35+ years. Within its power limitations, which honestly I will never reach. Would a Gjallarhorn sound just as good? I’ve been using tube amps in that spot, but I worry about lugging them upstairs to my office. Like what if I trip over my own feet, which is not entirely impossible.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #135,547 of 153,607
Beautiful area. I occasionally would visit friends in that area 7 years ago. Watch out for the chickens at
Luckenbach.
I thought it was armadillos you had to watch out for on TX roads. You mean they eat chicken roadkill too? 🤣

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #135,548 of 153,607
Lol at doing mini radials with Tyrs.
Rekkr is certainly more in tune with the requirements. However, nothing exceeds like excess!

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #135,551 of 153,607
OK, new topic here. Is an Aegir (1 or 2) overkill in a desktop system? Driving a pair of ADS 300s I’ve owned for 35+ years. Within its power limitations, which honestly I will never reach. Would a Gjallarhorn sound just as good? I’ve been using tube amps in that spot, but I worry about lugging them upstairs to my office. Like what if I trip over my own feet, which is not entirely impossible.
My current work desk system is a pair of Polk LSi703 stand mounted speakers powered by a pair of Vidar 1. I had been using a pair of Gjallarhorns and when I switched to the Vidars, the improvement was noticeable. Also I recently tried using a pair of Polk RTi A1 which are a much smaller “bookshelf” speaker and I just wasn’t getting the thrill and richness that the LSi703s give.

I’d say that the Gjallarhorns are going to be fine if all you are interested in is casual, background listening. If I wasn’t concerned about getting the excitement from the music, I’d probably be happy with less power. The Gjallarhorns are really good little amps. But if you tend to get into some pretty intense listening while you are working, the better amp might suit your tastes more.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #135,552 of 153,607
The Tyrs may be what these power-sucking Eminent Techs really need. Not exactly desktop friendly though.

1704841563812.png
I have a pair of these too! I had no idea anyone else had them. Now in storage, but they actually ran OK with a cheap old Sony receiver. I think ET originally had recommended them with a Radio Shack amp. They were used nearfield, so didn't need much power to get pretty loud.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #135,554 of 153,607
Jan 9, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #135,555 of 153,607
But people are rational.
They do what they want, then they rationalize it.
Perhaps… until there are more than a few of them in a group. Then, all bets are off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back