Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 15, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #136,472 of 153,309
Jan 15, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #136,475 of 153,309
Jan 15, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #136,477 of 153,309
Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #136,478 of 153,309
When someone reports hearing something (whether it be prickliness, plankton, sound stage, weight, forward, recessed, whatever) that is by definition their opinion. Audio is subjective. The signal is not, it's electrical, but hearing and perception of audio is acoustic, and is subjective and dependent on ambient listening conditions and on the listener. Are there some phenomena that are generally perceived by most users and can be called "generic characteristics"? Yes, such as loudness. But even those are not 100% universal. What I hear will be different from what you hear will be different from what Joe and Jane Blow hear, and what each of us perceives is our "truth." I don't like the sound of Onkyo products. Others do. Simple. That is how human perception works. Arguing anything different demonstrates lack of understanding.
I admire your honesty (you do not like Onkyo, but you do not proclaim them "wrong.") I did not bother to check but I will bet Onkyo makes some product's that measure well. Still I will fight (only on the internet) for your right to dislike them.

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #136,479 of 153,309
Anyone know of an app to correlate the songs in roon, MusicBrainz and discogs?
  • roon knows what I own
  • discogs knows what LPs I have. It's not friendly at track-listing
  • MusicBrainz has track info
P.S. my avatar when it comes to coding something like this is
Apparently not, though the community gave me some helpful hints (thank you all!)

Here's what I'm doing, not as an app just asymptotically approaching one....
  1. go into the roon app, go to track view, select all tracks then export. This creates a CSV
  2. go to discogs and export your collection. This gives you a ZIP that contains a CSV.
  3. open that CSV in something that can open CSVs (I used OpenOffice) and globally replace every comma (y'know, this -> ,) with a non-comma; I used semicolon.
    1. save that as the-non-comma.csv
  4. This linux CLI will create a file for each of the discogs releases in your collection (a JSON) then extract the tracklist from it, saving that into another file.
    1. cut -d , -f 8 the-non-comma.csv | egrep '^[0-9]+'| while read rel; do curl -o "$rel".lst https://api.discogs.com/releases/"$rel"; jq ".tracklist.[].title" "$rel".lst > "$rel".tracks; cat "$rel.tracks"; sleep 60; done # sleep 60 is to be nice to discog
  5. at this point, check each of the tracks from discogs with the ones from roon. Will probably just sort -u both files and do a diff...
    1. this sort and the comm below both need to be case-insensitive (watch your LC_COLLATE envvar!...)
    2. sort -f -u roon.tracks (ha!)
  6. P.S. sorting both files using comm as shown will show missing tracks: comm -13 roon.tracks album.tracks
    1. use case-insensitive comm to match case-insensitive sort above: comm -i -13 roon.tracks album.tracks
(edited to include some learnings on comm -i and sort interactions)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #136,480 of 153,309
Something to listen to while the snow melts -

Shiny.png

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #136,482 of 153,309
They are a fun band to go see live!!

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #136,483 of 153,309
Jan 15, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #136,484 of 153,309
That is a fantastic idea, although some of my choices would vary a bit. I saw the other day that a version of Heaven Hill was voted one of the top bourbons around. Everyone is getting into selling more prestigious product and HH's 27 year old can fetch about $2,700 a bottle. Their basic bourbon was the cheap alternative when I spent some of my college years in Kentucky. Normally I sip EH Taylor or Blanton's when listening to music late at night, occasionally some Wild Turkey rare breed. A new favorite is Oregon Spirits BIB, but it requires a road trip to buy that in my area. I have been involved in some equipment and tube comparisons but we only drink after those are over, that is when the after party begins. I just purchased several bottles of this bourbon.....

This 19 year old W.L. Weller was introduced in 2000. It was bottled?annually until 2003 when it was discontinued due to the Sazerac partnership with Old Rip Van Winkle, which required primary access to the distillery ageing wheated bourbon. It returned as the younger William Larue Weller in 2005, which has been bottled annually since?as part of?the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, a selection of whiskies collated and in some cases created to pay homage to the history of the company and its brands. A 1982 vintage, this was bottled from a stock of well-aged Stitzel-Weller casks unloaded by Diageo in the late 1990s.
Thanks for the Bourbon recommendations. I’ve had Blanton’s and quite enjoyed it. It’s amazing how some of the pricing has gotten out of hand with some of the varieties. Although sometimes pricey Whiskey/Bourbon is still a much better price proposition vs wine.

Hope your doing well with the kidney stone and the worst is behind you.

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #136,485 of 153,309
Yes. I like the idea of taxing income when you spend it as opposed to when you earn it. Living in NC, I had property tax (cars, land and homes), a sales/use tax, and a state income tax. In Texas we currently have no income tax (and likely never will), a state sales/use tax (6.25%), and property tax (land and homes (not cars)).
Don’t forget that local tax authorities can add on to that tax, so in many places, it’s 8.25% (and major sin taxes, like 14.95% for on-premise alcohol with a mixed beverage permit).

The effective tax rate in Texas for the median income is 8.01%. California is 8.89%. Not a whopping difference

Source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back