Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 23, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #137,236 of 153,294
Serious question for everyone.

After 10 years here I may have missed it due to the sheer volume of posts, but on the Schiit Sine Wave, is there a point on the sine wave for the never ending topic of phoooolisnes of cables being a waste of money after a small sum and at what price point does that start?

If someone isn't mechanically inclined to build their own superior sounding cables for $23.79 is it buy a set for $59.00?

Still the newbie has to realize that their $59.00 will sound inferior to the $23.79 one!:) LOL, what a hobby.

So, a survey might help establish a "sign" to the newbies to fall in line with the tribal mentally of the sine wave threshold or go somewhere else. Because saying, "but do what you do" feels like a passive aggressive way of saying "you're an idiot". :)

For instance, here's a cable, outrageous price to some affordable to others.

Kind of middle ground, maybe.:)

https://danclarkaudio.com/catalog/product/view/id/43/s/vivo/category/91/

How many here vote the item as "A": "foolishness for spending the asked amount of money on something that can't matter sound wise, it's a ripoff."

How many say "B": "may be worth trying"

How many say "C": "anyone spending $4K on cans might as well be taken for an extra $300.00"

How many say "4", "too afraid to say"
:)

Jan 23, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #137,237 of 153,294
I’m not even against class D, I heard the Totl amp from NAD and thought it sounded wonderful, but if putting class d into a tube is cutting edge, then that’s the goofiest crap I’ve ever seen. It’s like back before impossible foods and beyond foods when some brand would make a fake burger that tasted nothing like burger, it’s like just own what you are!
I'll have to admit the thing does look pretty cool. High marks for creativity at least. And I can't say I'm against Class D either. The last one I heard was a very long time ago when the first amps hit the market. It was abominable. But again, that was a long time ago. Early digital sucked too, but it transformed along the way. Perhaps Class D will too. But $15k at this point? That would require a leap of faith well beyond my means. Or interest.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #137,238 of 153,294
I have one of those for my Aeon 2s. It happened to be on sale at the time I ordered the headphones. It's a very nice cable of the length that I want, with the termination I want, and it's soft enough that it's not microphonic. It was definitely worth the discounted price I paid at the time. And what emerges from the drivers is utterly identical to the less expensive stock cable.

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #137,240 of 153,294

After 10 years here I may have missed it due to the sheer volume of posts, but on the Schiit Sine Wave, is there a point on the sine wave for the never ending topic of phoooolisnes of cables being a waste of money after a small sum and at what price point does that start?

If someone isn't mechanically inclined to build their own superior sounding cables for $23.79 is it buy a set for $59.00?

Still the newbie has to realize that their $59.00 will sound inferior to the $23.79 one!:) LOL, what a hobby.

So, a survey might help establish a "sign" to the newbies to fall in line with the tribal mentally of the sine wave threshold or go somewhere else. Because saying, "but do what you do" feels like a passive aggressive way of saying "you're an idiot". :)

How many here vote the item as "A": "foolishness for spending the asked amount of money on something that can't matter sound wise, it's a ripoff."

How many say "C": "anyone spending $4K on cans might as well be taken for an extra $300.00"

1706048060016.png

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #137,241 of 153,294
Jan 23, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #137,242 of 153,294

Meh. DCA VIVO cables are well built and very nice. $300 nice? No. You certainly spend more for less. Overpriced is different than rip off.

Yes, you can build cables with excellent wire and connectors for cheap. Those of us that aren't so inclined rely on those who do. I think Corpse Cables are nicely made and not crazy prices. Hart audio does okay, but his connectors are obviously budget oriented.

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #137,243 of 153,294

My DCA Aeon Open came with these stock Vivo cables. Not complaining at all since they're one of the better companies providing a great stock cable. Try Hifiman providing you with their horrific stock cable for Susvara.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #137,244 of 153,294
My DCA Aeon Open came with these stock Vivo cables. Not complaining at all since they're one of the better companies providing a great stock cable. Try Hifiman providing you with their horrific stock cable for Susvara.
Ditto with the Drop-supplied cable for the HD-6XX's. I think an old lamp cord with chunks of insulation missing would be an upgrade on that. :laughing:

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #137,245 of 153,294

I think this is a valid way of (re)instigating the dreaded cable discussion as it is something that generates a TON of nervosa and doubt, and beginners can often be made to feel foolish for having to 'settle' for basic or stock cables when all the cool people they/we follow on Instagram or in magazines or wherever constantly show pics of their 2" thick speaker cables and $450 record brushes. It can be quite distressing, and is why good honest experience-laden commentary (like those already from people here about the DCA cable) can help settle nerves and save people money.

With that in mind, and with very little actual experience, I'd count myself theoretically in Camp C. I feel like if a $1000 headphone can produce 99.whatever percent of the sound of a $4000 headphone, then that $4k 'phone is being sold with either:

A: Blatant luxury goods-oriented image-based advertising or....

B: Relatively poor engineering hiding behind fancy expensive materials and/or packaging and is not a job well done. Maybe fun for the engineers, though, I guess?

I'm not one to be taken by either of those things unless I just decided for myself that I blatantly wanted a luxury goods item for the image. Or whatever.

Cables are subject to that same viewpoint for me. :)

But yeah, if somebody is gonna blow $4k on a headphone, what's another $300? 🤷

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #137,246 of 153,294
But yeah, if somebody is gonna blow $4k on a headphone, what's another $300?

Well most people who buy a 6K headphone such as the Susvara, a $300 cable ain't gonna cut it. It has to be a 3K cable instead :)

1706050309914.png

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #137,247 of 153,294
Now you all trying to make me feel bad for getting zmf grand palladium cables.

It got it because I ended up buying the Tunsteng DS (2k). Ironically the cables helped my MoonDrop Para cans with its treble sibilance problem.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #137,248 of 153,294

An even better notion - that building three low cost good quality cables (i.e. from Mogami, Canare, and Klotz) and choosing the one that best synergises with your system, is probably going to give a better outcome than blindly buying an $X,000 cable.

Synergy is king.

Andrew

Jan 23, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #137,249 of 153,294
Now you all trying to make me feel bad for getting zmf grand palladium cables.

It got it because I ended up buying the Tunsteng DS (2k). Ironically the cables helped my MoonDrop Para cans with its treble sibilance problem.
I will be the first to say that if you hear a difference then there is a difference. Period. Then it's up to you, and only you, whether the cost for that difference is worth the investment. :)

Jan 23, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #137,250 of 153,294
I will be the first to say that if you hear a difference then there is a difference. Period. Then it's up to you, and only you, whether the cost for that difference is worth the investment. :)

In IEMs where synergy is magnified 10x than headphones, cable synergy is king! Hearing cable improvements is a thing! It happened on the meetup that I went and had one of the guys there try my IEM cables against the default stock cable that comes with Campfire Audio Bonneville IEM :)

@theveterans got me to listen to his Andromedas for a bit. Very respectable and pleasant set, especially given how long they've been around. Admittedly, my demo was all of 25 seconds as they suffer the same problem as any other set with BAs playing remotely into the bass for me, giving me a headache after a short bit of listening.

We also had a very fun venture seeing the most dramatic change I've heard a cable cause with the Bonneville. The Bonneville had some very extreme bass bloom that made them sound extremely muddy off of my M8 with the stock cable, with mids and treble being... okayish. Switching out the stock cable to his Effect Audio Thor 8 wire? I believe it was, was a dramatic shift. The bass bloom was completely gone and the sound became significantly clearer, better, separated, and just all around incredibly good. Also an interesting demo as I heard none of that bass bloom and muddiness listening to the Bonneville at CanJam SoCal with my Shanling M6 Pro and its stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back