Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 24, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #137,356 of 152,770
Truth is I do like it. It's an old favorite.
My introduction to Joan Baez is from the movie "Silent Running". Joan Baez, Bruce Dern, and poker playing robots/droids. What more could you want?
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Good old memories...

1f37a18b-1e66-444b-baaf-635b70b358a3.JPG

And I still have a pocket radio...

77dee9b1-c1de-4a45-b732-f8991bb14fe6.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #137,357 of 152,770
Okay, so I took some time to goof around with the usb power brick that came with the Modius E, and the GaN brick that I own (IDK if it is the exact one you posted or a similar one)...I used Pan by Plini as my test track, because it is my test track for all new gear, all comparisons etc. The headphones being used were the HD600. I started with stock brick, then would switch to GaN, then to stock, etc. I did this listening to Pan on repeat via my bluesound node's coax out to the Modius E coax input. I could not discern a difference between the two bricks. For me, it just means I have one less thing to consider, but I dont want to invalidate your experience. I'll just say that either there is no difference (my general belief after doing this and Jason's own remarks) or my ears cannot discern the difference that is there.

It is interesting that multiple reasonable people in this thread have posted perceived differences by changing the power brick, then I have no difference perceived. But yeah, TLDR I didn't hear a difference, one less thing to worry about spending money on. Oh, to give better context, my audio equipment (modius e, asgard 3, bluesound node x) are all plugged in to an Anker Surge Protector that I got a few years ago. I don't have a power conditioner, I don't have custom power cables, the only custom cables I own are for the headphones and they are for aesthetic and usecase reasons, not audio differences.
Thanks for trying, and letting us know about the surge protector. My previous experience is that surge protectors stifle the sound, and is the equivalent of trying to discern a difference when powering up your equipment through cables made of wet string (okay, a harsh analogy but gives the picture).

If you can, try the test while removing the surge protector (unless your mains and gear is susceptible to gear-destroying surges).

Cheers,

Andrew

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #137,358 of 152,770
True Cable Confession!

IMG_20240124_113228548.jpg

I hate these all the same length unruly haywire springs thingies used for supplying 120 volts here in the USA! :)

Over the past decade I have purchased 26 pieces of various Schiit from Sys's to Eitr to Yggy. Of them 15 have had these haywire things. I wish there was a check box on the Schiit website that said:

"I acknowledge opting out of the stock power cord. I will save zero dollars and pay the same for Schiit's NOT putting one in the box as it complicates shipping. I will however be helping the planet by providing more room in the landfills for all the food we throw away!'

I have collected over the years an inventory of cords that would rival bcowen's tube collection:):IMG_20240124_113455301.jpg
YMMV, buyer beware and count the cost before investing in appropriate length power cords of this caliber of esoteric.

And, in this case a blanket statement which I believe is never a useful thing in the hobby does apply here: These power cords sound the same as the Schiit Stock Power Cords! :)They're just easier to work with for me.

Jason, help the planet with an "SSPC" opt out on the order page! I will pay more for less! :)
I like it. One problem, you’ve just doubled the SKUs 😆

Andrew

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #137,359 of 152,770
How about Wall wart? need different length of cable?

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #137,360 of 152,770
Been swimming in krill as I try to catch up. Cannot "thumbs up" this post enough. Really hoping the topic is over and done with sometime in the next 69 pages. Don't want to.still be reading about it when I next see this post.

🙏🙏
Hah! Yeah, no. Not even close… 😒

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #137,362 of 152,770
My ancient powered computer speakers have started hissing so I'm considering replacing them with a Rekkr and a set of speakers, especially after Jason's chapter comments about hiss. I already have a Magni/Modi stack.

Any recommendations for a good budget pair of speakers? Most recommendations I've found are for powered sets.

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #137,363 of 152,770
I have collected over the years an inventory of cords that would rival bcowen's tube collection:):
It would be prejudicial for me to only hoard collect tubes. Not sure where that tub of never-used IEC cords is... 🤣 🤣 🤣

Cables.jpg

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #137,364 of 152,770
It would be prejudicial for me to only hoard collect tubes. Not sure where that tub of never-used IEC cords is... 🤣 🤣 🤣

Cables.jpg

Did you fish them cables from this pond?

1706128253464.png

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #137,365 of 152,770
My ancient powered computer speakers have started hissing so I'm considering replacing them with a Rekkr and a set of speakers, especially after Jason's chapter comments about hiss. I already have a Magni/Modi stack.

Any recommendations for a good budget pair of speakers? Most recommendations I've found are for powered sets.
Check out the Elac line. They may not be efficient/effective with Rekkr. There's probably some OG Klipsch RP600M around.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #137,367 of 152,770
I have a single Rekkr with 4 ohm tiny Radial speakers (built by @Paladin79). They are not very efficient, but it gets way louder than I care to listen. They are on my computer desk and only about 3 feet from my head, however, so that may be why. :D

I guess what I'm saying is don't be uber concerned about a mildly inefficient speaker if they are close and you listen at reasonable levels.

20240124_153251.jpg

**Fancy anti-resonance bands. And don't tell @bcowen, but the inside of a couple of panels in each speaker are lined with small sorbothane sheets. :D

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #137,368 of 152,770
If you have any doubt as to whether Head-Fiers, in particular SchiitHead-Fiers, are a special lot .... ponder this ....
1B6A6FCB-42FB-4640-A8FE-E8988616D73F.jpeg
😟🤨🫣

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #137,370 of 152,770
Check out the Elac line. They may not be efficient/effective with Rekkr. There's probably some OG Klipsch RP600M around.

That's my concern. I'm not sure what speakers would pair well with the Rekkr. I suppose I could unplug my Elac rears and try them, but that locks me into buying a Rekkr without a fallback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back