Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 4, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #138,646 of 152,758
More than likely I will have room for four glasses. This is my treat for several of you on this site. Yours is for introducing me to your bottled in bond bourbon. If you have a wood preference just say something and I will see what I have.
Do you mean that the Balvenie is an unpriced option?

Feb 4, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #138,647 of 152,758
I am considering making a serving board with small cutouts for whiskey sampling glasses, if I am happy with the results I will try to send you a sample, with cut outs for this style glass.IMG_7238.jpeg
I was gone for a few days and began reading this thread from the end backwards. I thought you were putting holes for whiskey glasses into the tops of tube amplifiers. It seemed a step too far, to me.

Feb 4, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #138,649 of 152,758
Another artist that falls in the "modern" classical genre is Nils Frahm. Really really good. A lot of times his music has some minimal electronic vibes too. I can't recommend him enough. You can start with two of his earliest recordings: Streichelfisch (2005) and Electric Piano (2008).

Olafur Arnulds is exquisite, too.

Feb 4, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #138,651 of 152,758
Do you mean that the Balvenie is an unpriced option?
No! Balvenie stays with me, maybe Cowen will send you a bottle of Belvedere.🤪

Feb 4, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #138,652 of 152,758
My two favorite gins at the moment are The Botanist from Bruichladdich in Islay, and Junipero from Anchor in San Francisco. I will have to see if Total Wine here in Arizona has your distillery's products.
I love The Botanist. Splendid flavors. I just saw they are releasing barrel aged version. Really keen on that.

Feb 4, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #138,653 of 152,758
That's not a joke?
Many of the botanicals are foraged on the island giving it a very localized terroir. No peat is used, of course, as there is no barley in gin. :wink:

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #138,655 of 152,758
You may have missed my previous post but I hope to send one of these to you gratis once I get all the dimensions figured out.IMG_7241.jpeg
It's looking beautiful, and I appreciate that so much! First dram poured will be a toast to you, sir!

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #138,656 of 152,758
Because it doesn't sound as good. The RELs sense how the main speakers are moving, and act accordingly. The B&W run without a high-pass filter, and the subs are low-passed about ~40Hz. Integration is lovely; switching the RELs off simply removes the lowest octave from the presentation...
There's a difference that gets ignored in HT vs Analog/Music usage.

In HT, there's the processor that fulfills a "loudspeaker management system" role, to keep crossovers, delays and levels all under control. Then there's the DSP in an active subwoofer, which adds delay, which the processor can account for. For movies, everything goes through the processor so it sounds seamless and cohesive.

If one were to plug a non-HT preamp's second output into an active subwoofer, where does that delay get accounted for? It's tough. Using the high-level inputs on a subwoofer obviates that need.

For movies, if the explosion is 5ms early/late, few would notice. If a violin's lower frequency notes are 5ms early/late relative to its higher frequency notes, that drives a fair number of people crazy. And, I believe, everyone notices that the music sounds off.

At least, that's how I've come to look at it.

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #138,657 of 152,758
You may have missed my previous post but I hope to send one of these*** to you gratis once I get all the dimensions (weight / volume) figured out.
*** ... empty EH Taylor bottle? ... 🤪

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #138,658 of 152,758
Sloe Gin was one of my Grandma 's favorites. She used to pick them when she was younger and make it herself.
This fits in with the romanticized story I heard where original producers would hand pick sloe berries and then prick each berry with a thorn from the same bush they were gathered from to harvest the juice.

Suffice to say, we neglected that step in the production of our sloe gin as we do not have a sufficient pool of old ladies on staff with nothing better to do with their time than ride roughshod over "those dern yungins" and trade the latest gossip while pricking berries. 😬

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #138,659 of 152,758
*** ... empty EH Taylor bottle? ... 🤪
Not yet. About half full since I am an optimist.😉 Finishing the Taylor is part of the thinking process.🤪

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #138,660 of 152,758
It's looking beautiful, and I appreciate that so much! First dram poured will be a toast to you, sir!
Each will be unique, tomorrow you will have a better idea of why I am striving toward.😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back