Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #140,311 of 153,123
Feb 21, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #140,312 of 153,123
I love freshly brewed coffee at work so I like grinding my beans fresh before brewing it :)

As do my wife and I at home. Visiting my son gets us things like this.
IMG_7216.jpeg
Nothing like having someone with a doctorate in chemistry making such a drink and all you have to do is sit back and enjoy.😉

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #140,313 of 153,123

There is the factor of my ever-practical wife: Kitchen and bathroom renos looming, acquiring a car in the Spring, travel this year, my Gumby stack giving me audio-pleasure surpassing anything I've had before it every time I fire it up...

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #140,314 of 153,123
No true. Once they run out there will be occasional stock as more GS and GS2 owners upgrade to newer Yggys.
Jason weighed-in before me. :)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #140,315 of 153,123
Let's see....how to treat my FOMO after just squeaking a used Yggy OG A2/Unison into the budget before retiring and hearing how wonderful the MiB is. Do I ration the cat treats until I've saved enough for a MiB (or MiB++ by that time) or just take a deep breath and realize how much I enjoy the current Yggy? Give me a minute to make a latte, add some Irish Cream, toss on the headphones and cogitate.

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #140,316 of 153,123
W/r/t your second question; when comparing one DAC to the other, the songs are still totally recognizable... just different. OG A2 has rhythmic drive and smooth highs. MiB has a stunningly clear top end and solid rhythmic drive. Those are the differences as far as I can tell... sorry I can't be more definitive. Both of them pull me in to the music, but in my current main rig, I favor MiB.

And in my current office headphone rig, I favor OG A2. So happy that I can experience them both!
Don, does this mean that MIB is "too detailed" for headphone listening, and therefore OG A2 is a more pleasant music presentation for headphones?
I remember Jason writing, way back when, that he preferred Gumby for HP listening because Yggy, probably OG A1, sounded more "clinical."
Thanks, in advance. :)

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #140,318 of 153,123
Don, does this mean that MIB is "too detailed" for headphone listening, and therefore OG A2 is a more pleasant music presentation for headphones?
I remember Jason writing, way back when, that he preferred Gumby for HP listening because Yggy, probably OG A1, sounded more "clinical."
Thanks, in advance. :)

Gumby owner here who listens with headphones 👋: That's music to my ears and dampens my FOMO...until such time that I decide that the speaker system needs a top-end DAC. For the moment, my primary listening is with my cans.

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #140,319 of 153,123
Yes, translators are a thing and only a few clicks/touches away.
I also happen to be somewhat fluent-adjacent in German.
But that's not the point.
The point is that this is an English forum. Let's keep it that way for everybody else's convenience, shall we?
Thank you! ☺️
Dutch might be even more complicated for avrg community :ksc75smile:

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #140,320 of 153,123
The Aegir arrived this morning, fired it up, the self-check takes only few seconds, same from standby mode back to operating. Then I switched it off and went to lunch, the second power up, the LED flashes for 30 seconds or more, so I switched it off and wait a minute and put it on again, no faults.

Aegir and Vidar 2, both sounds good to me, just different.
different in which way?

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #140,321 of 153,123
Not sure about better. My other Yggy is a (non-plus) OG Analog 2. It is a spectacular performer in both the time and frequency domains... but MiB is a spectacular performer in the frequency and time domains, in that order, and I'm still struggling for words to describe this difference. OG set a "pace" that simply pulled me into the song. MiB does that whilst delivering a clarity that I've just never heard in my system before.

And while the OG A2 (also Unison USB) sounds extra lovely with Urd, the MiB + Urd is indefinably better. It's "just so..." - enter the adjective of your choice - wide, deep, clear, shimmering, timely. Weird but true, I would venture that the utter lack of noise in MiB's top end presentation is the key difference here. Or not. I don't know.

IMHO, the reproduction of higher frequencies with MiB is just startling. The B&Ws are getting "spatial" data that they didn't get with the OG. The clarity of the upper registers is etched into the presentation. It is unexpected and very, very pleasing to me - never sharp, just clean and etched into the space around the speakers... weird? Yeah, but I've been drinking tonight.

W/r/t your second question; when comparing one DAC to the other, the songs are still totally recognizable... just different. OG A2 has rhythmic drive and smooth highs. MiB has a stunningly clear top end and solid rhythmic drive. Those are the differences as far as I can tell... sorry I can't be more definitive. Both of them pull me in to the music, but in my current main rig, I favor MiB.

And in my current office headphone rig, I favor OG A2. So happy that I can experience them both!
So, you're saying that my 805D's will love the MiB upgrade? :smiley_cat:

PS- My YGGY tour: OG (A1 in original chassis, first production run) >> OG (A2 in original chassis, a significant sonic upgrade) >> A2 in the "+" chassis with Unison to pair with URD (URD is a significant upgrade in sonics) >> MiB upgrade in "+" chassis? {My system, my ears my room, and so forth.}

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #140,322 of 153,123
basic coffee set up used every day whether in house or out doors. hand crank grinder, folding dripper, kettle. Peet's french roast, warmed cream

IMG_2114.jpeg
Plus fresh air and scenery. :thumbsup:

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #140,323 of 153,123
And I must comment on the sheer volume of posts by @Ripper2860 in which he beats, resurrects, and beats again a horse in the same manner that the Cowboys, with Dak at QB, get beaten in the playoffs. :smile_cat:

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #140,324 of 153,123
different in which way?
Hm ... I will try to describe....

Vidar 2 is fast and with good bass, however Aegir sounds a bit relax, but with deep bass and smooth treble, and vocal is more real. (base on 1 year Vidar 2 and 1 day Aegir impression)

P.S. Aegir seems has better soundscape. for e.g. When playing KISS "I was made for loving you", it is better at all areas.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #140,325 of 153,123

Users who are viewing this thread

Back