Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 14, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #143,041 of 153,242
So what you're saying is that the $5k fuse I put in the Vali 2 might be overkill? 🤣

It will not turn to a Valhalla .... :ksc75smile:

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #143,042 of 153,242
Mar 14, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #143,043 of 153,242
This from Tuesday seems germane to the conversation: https://www.stereophile.com/content/assessing-sonic-illusions

"Is he saying that microphones don't accurately capture sound? It depends what you mean by "accurately." Microphones "don't operate or 'hear' like human ears," Tom wrote, "and their placement and use is determined by aesthetic factors." In use, then, a microphone is alien, and the thing it produces—a typically two-channel electrical signal that's preserved as a recording—is subjective."

Can delete if I've revived @Ableza's horse lol ☠️ but did find it interesting

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #143,044 of 153,242
I do believe that expectation bias is real and especially in the audio world.

The former president of my company did blind taste testing of vodkas and proved repeatedly that Smirnoff was the best, even over Grey Goose and Ketel One. Of course, the vodkas were all chilled to 0C prior to tasting. :)
I cannot imagine any of the actual flavors that might differentiate those vodkas even being discernible at 0°C. Obviously, I don't know what particular qualities they were looking for between them but that makes no sense to me.

All of my whiskey samples I pull to make barrel selects are tasted at an average of around 17°C. Oftentimes, the barrels might be cold if they were just transported from the barrelhouses but I let the samples warm in the lab for a bit prior to tasting.

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #143,045 of 153,242
A thin piece of wire ... will melt at a certain amperage .. thats all.... and still a bottleneck.... how can it improves sound?
See even with a cable, the most you can hope for is whatever enters the wire will not be degraded before it leaves. Obviously you need relatively pure copper or silver and proper shielding but there is little magic that occurs.

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #143,046 of 153,242
I cannot imagine any of the actual flavors that might differentiate those vodkas even being discernible at 0°C.
I think that was his exact rationale. The conclusion was - drink cold vodka and save a lot of money. :)

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #143,047 of 153,242
I've noticed some fuses are filled with Quarz-sand (?).. I wonder how much better it would sound if you replaced that with plankton...

Exiting stage left..

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #143,049 of 153,242
I think that was his exact rationale. The conclusion was - drink cold vodka and save a lot of money. :)
That's good sense economically, even while screaming out a lack of self worth. 😆

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #143,050 of 153,242
I've noticed some fuses are filled with Quarz-sand (?).. I wonder how much better it would sound if you replaced that with plankton...

Exiting stage left..

The sand is to kill the arc when it blows.

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #143,051 of 153,242
A thin piece of wire ... will melt at a certain amperage .. thats all.... and still a bottleneck.... how can it improves sound?
the only thing that can degrade the sound is dirty or tarnished contact surfaces - on wet winter Sunday afternoons when I have nothing better to do I will gat out my can of metal polish wadding and clean all the mains plug pins and fuse caps etc , it does seem to have a positive musical effect

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #143,052 of 153,242
Hahahaha. I guess that's better than Elevator Music :sweat_smile: (Pat's detractors usually describe his music that way).
I grew up with the idea that Pat Metheny’s music was “smooth jazz” - something I’ve never particularly liked. I picked up a CD of Jim Hall and Pat Metheny which I like, although as one reviewer suggested, it sounds like it was recorded under water (a quality I kind of like about this recording).

There are plenty of musicians who may create music I don’t particularly like, but I respect that they are creating something. It’s fun to discover something I enjoy in something I thought I would hate.

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #143,053 of 153,242
What I often wonder is which bourbon that sells for $40 today will jump to $120 soon. Bourbon collecting is big and many of the prices have shot up so much in the last few years. Great advertising? Word of mouth? Supply and demand? Personally I really like the Oregon Spirits BIB and the price is still quite reasonable so I buy it when I can.😉

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #143,054 of 153,242
the only thing that can degrade the sound is dirty or tarnished contact surfaces - on wet winter Sunday afternoons when I have nothing better to do I will gat out my can of metal polish wadding and clean all the mains plug pins and fuse caps etc , it does seem to have a positive musical effect

Good conductor with good conduction. (TLC)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back