Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 27, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #145,411 of 153,379
Mar 27, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #145,412 of 153,379
Speaking of '80's acts, I brainstormed an idea for:

SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY / U2
(Island single 94974)
(Paul David "Bono Vox" Hewson/David Howell "The Edge" Evans/Adam Charles Clayton/Laurence Joseph Mullen Jr.) Island Music Ltd., MCPS-PRS

involving grayscale footage from the battle in the British Broadcasting Corporation archives:

"(Bell) . . . . . . . London calling . . . . . . . . This is the B.B.C. broadcasting on one hundred ninety-eight kilocycles: We have breaking news from Northern Ireland---"

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #145,414 of 153,379
.... however, N😳 VU meters .... 🤔😒
I remember a book published by ML and his wife at the time regarding female orgasm. Cynthia's reaction; "that's pretty f'ing arrogant...."
1711516175810.png

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #145,415 of 153,379
Kindly reminder that Björk's 'Post' is just outstandingly produced and those horns are just 🤌🏻
thats a damn good demo track for soundstage depth and imaging.

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #145,416 of 153,379
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 14.31.14.png

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #145,417 of 153,379
I also get a kick out of how this C-Wave supposedly "fixes" analog LP's and analog master tapes that, by his own premise, don't need fixed. I guess while you're fixin', might as well fix everything. I'm not holding out hope that it will fix Texas BBQ though.... 🤣
Awesome loop back to BBQ. Well played!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #145,418 of 153,379
My last call for the night. I occasionally get sent some DSF rips from a friend who collects various audiophile SACD releases (certainly will never reject this offer, especially since many of them are out of print). Of everything they have sent me, I consider this unique Mobile Fidelity-mastered Japanese market SACD box set of Dead Can Dance LPs to be the real treasures. Long out of print and quite expensive to purchase second hand (just to get saddled with the lamed-up Sony copy-protect-DAC implementation that is SACD playback), I feel like freeing those files from that leash allows the music to breath and flourish as God intended.

And ye gods, this mastering is fuxing stupendous! Every sound, every percussive jangle, every vocal utterance is just perfection. I feel humbled just listening to them. 🙇‍♂️

Chain is USB Storage > MXN10 Streamer > Freya N (passive) > Magni+ > Drop HD6XX via Blue Dragon cable
^ There is MASSIVE synergy in this setup. ^

IMG_6901.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #145,419 of 153,379
"Tis better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all."

I believe that quote is from a remorseful audiophile after selling his gear. 🤔
I really really regret selling my mid 1980's Gale 301 speakers - with the perforated dome tweeters and the punched steel mesh grills - sealed box ( infinite baffle ) and little sods to drive BUT boy could they play a tune !!

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #145,421 of 153,379
He is doing education, the wrong education, just like Watts .......

That's harsh. Rob Watts, like Jason and Mike, is active in the head fi community and is well respected. If you don't agree with his designs, cool. But to compare him to this over flowery ML stuff? Not cool.

The reaction to this ML stuff is too ASR ish in tone to me. Let's get back to the woodworking and bourbon. 👍

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #145,422 of 153,379
I agree with the reference to (Rob) Watts being a bit out of bounds.

As far as ASR'ish goes, The C-Wave / ML comments are nowhere near as 'intense' as the MQA discussions. Perhaps 'SBAF'ish when a noob goes off half-cocked' would be more accurate. :D

My unsubstantiated theory: C-Wave introduces s(m)oothing element via a proprietary algorithm akin to reverb. What is not revealed is that it also includes a female voice whispering "you know you like this", "buy Mike Hertz equipment", "Ooooh this sounds soooo good", "Tiger Maple", "Purple Heart", "EH Taylor", "Buffalo Trace", "Oregon Spirits" ... all in an inaudible but subconsciously detectable manner akin to subliminal messaging. Or maybe not. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #145,423 of 153,379
That's harsh. Rob Watts, like Jason and Mike, is active in the head fi community and is well respected. If you don't agree with his designs, cool. But to compare him to this over flowery ML stuff? Not cool.

The reaction to this ML stuff is too ASR ish in tone to me. Let's get back to the woodworking and bourbon. 👍

Not Rob Watts, is the SI unit Watt(s)

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #145,424 of 153,379
I agree with the reference to (Rob) Watts being a bit out of bounds.

As far as ASR'ish goes, THe C-Wave / ML comments are nowhere near as 'intense' as the MQA discussions. 'Perhaps SBAF'ish when a noob goes off half-cocked' would be more accurate. :D

My unsubstantiated theory: C-Wave introduces s(m)oothing element via a proprietary algorithm akin to reverb. What is not revealed is that it also includes a female voice whispering "you know you like this", "buy Mike Hertz equipment", "Ooooh this sounds soooo good", "Tiger Maple", "Purple Heart", "EH Taylor", "Buffalo Trace", "Oregon Spirits" ... all in an inaudible but subconsciously detectable manner akin to subliminal messaging. Or maybe not. :wink:

PCM, or those digital, are pulses, it created by A/D convertor and then back to analog by D/A convertor, how to do it correctly to make it same as the signal before convertion is something important. We live in pulses, say heart beat, mechanical watches, motion pictures by film ... etc ...

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #145,425 of 153,379
PCM, or those digital, are pulses, it created by A/D convertor and then back to analog by D/A convertor, how to do it correctly to make it same as the signal before convertion is something important. We live in pulses, say heart beat, mechanical watches, motion pictures by film ... etc ...
It does not hurt to have a basic understanding of modulation, which can take many forms.😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back